First Division Clubs Invited to SPL2 Meeting

nvager

First Division clubs invited to ‘SPL2’ meeting

1858057542.jpg

Hamilton, who proposed the meeting, taking on Falkirk last month. Picture: Gary Hutchinson/TSPL

Published on Tuesday 16 April 2013 19:09

CLUBS in the Scottish First Division have been invited to a meeting next Monday to discuss the creation of a second tier to the Scottish Premier League.

The move follows Monday’s events in which SPL clubs failed to agree on proposals that would see a new 12-12-18 league system introduced, as both Ross County and St Mirren voted against the plan, scuppering the top-flight clubs’ 11-1 required majority.

The proposals had included a redistribution of money to lower-league clubs in the country.

Hamilton Academical have called on their fellow First Division clubs to meet to discuss a response to what they are calling ‘a set-back’.

SPL Chief Executive Neil Doncaster argued that First Division clubs would have benefited most from the creation of two top-flight leagues that would have then split into three groups of eight halfway through the season.

It is thought that the idea of an ‘SPL2’ - a proposal that has been mentioned in the past - will be discussed at next Monday’s meeting.

The 30 football league clubs would have been able to vote on the proposals had the SPL clubs voted the plans through.

Falkirk chairman Martin Ritchie bemoaned the failed talks on Monday, saying: “I think the last few days have shown that we will never have a proposal that will satisfy 11 SPL clubs and 23 SFL clubs at the same time.

“I think reconstruction is a non-event now. I’m not sure if we are at the point yet where the SFA has to step in but I don’t see any other way of this going through, to be honest.”

Ritchie added that his club would ‘wait and see what happens over the next few days’.

BBC Scotland reported late on Tuesday that Doncaster had said that an ‘SPL2’ model for next season would be possible, if any proposals had the support of 11 member clubs.

Although initially disappointed with the outcome of Monday’s vote, he said that although there was ‘no plan B’, the SPL still had ‘much to offer’ in its current format.

You could almost imagine that they already had this as their plan b, all set up and ready to go.

:rolleyes: Nah, that's crazy talk right?

It was the plan from the start, along with our invite and us getting the blame for "conspiring" our way up the leagues.

They need us, but don't want to admit it, so they concoct all this shite to get us back up faster whilst still keeping us the bad guys.

As long as the no vote holds good in the SPL then these clubs cannot force the issue surely?

There can be no 12 12 18 with St Mirren and Ross County voting no?

The 1 up and 1 down rule still stands.

Can the SFL teams legally break away anyway without an overall agreement?

SFL clubs need to give 2 years notice to leave the SFL unless they obtain a 2/3rds majority allowing them to leave before that. That means they need 20 clubs out of the SFL 30 to vote for that dispensation. As SPL 2 will only accommodate 12 clubs why would 8 of the 18 being left behind vote for this.

I think the SPL always had to have a plan B, but given the nature of plan A, and the haste in which they wished to get it implemented, presenting a SPL 2 as an alternative was always going to have to wait until Reconstruction as voted down on Monday was a proven non starter.

The difficulties I see that the SPL have in now presenting an SPL2 as an alternative are:

1.) The SPL member clubs would have to agree to a SPL2 proposal before it could be presented- more time lost whilst that process takes place.

2.) For the SPL member Clubs to pass this motion they would need 11 Clubs to agree- therefore the could be foiled at the very outset due to the same voting system that prevented Reconstruction being approved.

3.) Given the very Public intimidation and recriminations a number of SPL Chairpersons aimed the way of St M and RossC, achieving that, let alone getting these people back in the same room quickly could be problematic. Especially if any Club requires the time to consult with their support regarding the proposals.

Then the SFL would need to agree, with possible further difficulties:

1.) Only very few SFL Clubs would actually be likely to benefit financially and then only if the SPL can get its financial act together and attract significant commercial interest and sponsorship. The only way they can really start to achieve that is by trying to get 1 SFL Club currently in the 3rd Division into SPL2. Just attempting to achieve that is likely to polarise Scottish Football.

2.) Currently the SFL is in the strongest negotiating position it has been in since the creation of the SPL. The creation of a SPL 2 would change that position. The SFL would then be effectively weakened to a position in which it would be rendered meaningless. If at a later date the Clubs in the SPL 1 and SPL 2 wanted to ensure their relative long term safety they could effectively terminate their relationship with the SFL completely. Ie no promotions down from the SPL2 to SFL and no promotions up. That would effectively kill the SFL stone dead.

Lastly, the Clock is ticking, more time lost without significant commercial sponsorship or increased attendances at fixtures in both the SPL and SFL (when Clubs are not playing Rangers) is likely to mean that there will be more Football Clubs heading into administration. Mostly in the SPL it would seem. It would only take one or two SPL Clubs to fail now for the SPL to fail completely. The only possible and unlikely chance they would have of preventing this situation is for a SPL 2 to be in place for next season with significant commercial sponsorship and a television deal in place to make it all worthwhile. Is that likely given that next season is due to kick off in approx 20 weeks and that the motivation for a SPL 2 appears to be coming from the very few current SFL 1 Clubs that see a potential advantage to their own interests from a SPL 2, suggests to me this is now a forlorn hope based on self interest rather than a viable plan to further the mutual interests of all those involved in promoting the sport of football in Scotland.

I think the SPL always had to have a plan B, but given the nature of plan A, and the haste in which they wished to get it implemented, presenting a SPL 2 as an alternative was always going to have to wait until Reconstruction as voted down on Monday was a proven non starter.

The difficulties I see that the SPL have in now presenting an SPL2 as an alternative are:

1.) The SPL member clubs would have to agree to a SPL2 proposal before it could be presented- more time lost whilst that process takes place.

2.) For the SPL member Clubs to pass this motion they would need 11 Clubs to agree- therefore the could be foiled at the very outset due to the same voting system that prevented Reconstruction being approved.

3.) Given the very Public intimidation and recriminations a number of SPL Chairpersons aimed the way of St M and RossC, achieving that, let alone getting these people back in the same room quickly could be problematic. Especially if any Club requires the time to consult with their support regarding the proposals.

Then the SFL would need to agree, with possible further difficulties:

1.) Only very few SFL Clubs would actually be likely to benefit financially and then only if the SPL can get its financial act together and attract significant commercial interest and sponsorship. The only way they can really start to achieve that is by trying to get 1 SFL Club currently in the 3rd Division into SPL2. Just attempting to achieve that is likely to polarise Scottish Football.

2.) Currently the SFL is in the strongest negotiating position it has been in since the creation of the SPL. The creation of a SPL 2 would change that position. The SFL would then be effectively weakened to a position in which it would be rendered meaningless. If at a later date the Clubs in the SPL 1 and SPL 2 wanted to ensure their relative long term safety they could effectively terminate their relationship with the SFL completely. Ie no promotions down from the SPL2 to SFL and no promotions up. That would effectively kill the SFL stone dead.

Lastly, the Clock is ticking, more time lost without significant commercial sponsorship or increased attendances at fixtures in both the SPL and SFL (when Clubs are not playing Rangers) is likely to mean that there will be more Football Clubs heading into administration. Mostly in the SPL it would seem. It would only take one or two SPL Clubs to fail now for the SPL to fail completely. The only possible and unlikely chance they would have of preventing this situation is for a SPL 2 to be in place for next season with significant commercial sponsorship and a television deal in place to make it all worthwhile. Is that likely given that next season is due to kick off in approx 20 weeks and that the motivation for a SPL 2 appears to be coming from the very few current SFL 1 Clubs that see a potential advantage to their own interests from a SPL 2, suggests to me this is now a forlorn hope based on self interest rather than a viable plan to further the mutual interests of all those involved in promoting the sport of football in Scotland.

A very well thought out response. I agree with what you say, but wonder if Dungcaster has some sleazy scheme in mind.

I really cannot see the SPL clubs agreeing to this "new" Plan B as it would mean a 12 12 18 split again and that was voted down.

I really cannot see the majority of SFL teams agreeing as it would not help them at all, but is it a breakaway?

If so these teams would need to pay the SFL compensation and how could they afford that? Rangers would demand huge compensation surely?

Haha

Just what do these teams think they are bringing to the table without Rangers?

Do they not understand the whole point of this was for the SPl to get their grubby mits on our TV money, they will be laughed at.

Reconstruction needs to be thought out sensibly, an SPL 2 is just another sticking plaster. Everything is relying on T.V. money. Should the T.V. companies decide they no longer want to broadcast Scottish football or reduce the amount of broadcasts, then we'll be left in the same position. Clubs need to become self sufficient and reconstruction should be paving the way to help clubs achieve it.

I wouldn't write them off yet.

The SPL, the SFL and the SFA are all desperate to sort something out, so I wouldn't rule out all these organisations smoothing out the path for something to happen.

It's amazing how fast they can move when they want something done.

They have had the past few weeks at least to prepare for this, so there is bound to be some sort of scheme on the go.

Interesting times ahead.

It's like a marathon changing its name to snikers! Same shit.

"Hey sky, we've changed the name of div 1 to spl2, can we have another 10 mil a season, it's the same teams and everything!" Lol desperate fucks

I think they are going to invite us up. Hope we tell them where to stick their invitation.

SFL clubs need to give 2 years notice to leave the SFL unless they obtain a 2/3rds majority allowing them to leave before that. That means they need 20 clubs out of the SFL 30 to vote for that dispensation. As SPL 2 will only accommodate 12 clubs why would 8 of the 18 being left behind vote for this.

The vote is going to be split that way for sure, the idea of the SPL2 is to soak up more cash for the teams involved, as this cash will be coming from a finite pot, more cash for SPL 2 means less cash for the lower league, you would have to be crazy or suicidal to vote for that if you are in the 2/3 div.

If Charlie Green refuses this I'd be delighted

For our own conscience and the right thing to do we should stay and win SFL 2 and work our way up the way we should

They would never let us forget it if we took the quick way back

We cant play in Europe anyway

Don't give them any of our hard earned cash just now Mr Green , make them wait like they said they wanted in sporting integrity

Any SPL 2 invitation would be accepted by CG I reckon

He wants us back to the top ASAP as we will make more money

Might be out on a limb on this one, when are we ever going to get another chance to win the 2nd division, never I hope. But while we are in this position!!!.

SPL2 would get us back to the SPL with no chance of European football, sorry they can stick it.