Our set pieces

CalvinC

I apologize if this has already been brought up and discussed, but did anybody notice the difference in the quality of the set pieces in the legends match versus the set pieces in our actual first team games.

Particularly the way Trevor Steven whipped corners in, and the goal that Ally scored. I haven't seen a free kick that good all season at Ibrox, and our corners and free kick deliveries have been pretty shite. It just made me wonder what it is we do on set pieces at training.

Made this point to Thommo on Saturday, alot of our corners this season have failed to beat the first man & we have been equally pish at defending them. For years we had one of the best defence's around but now it is a shambles, hope Ally gets it sorted in September.

I think we practice fucking them up and it certainly seems to have paid off.

I actually thought of that when Ally hit his second. We've been clueless for years.

I was moaning at the gf, querying why the f*ck Ally was lining up that free kick (give it to Albertz!) He proved me wrong.

Back to the topic though, we're shoddy at set pieces.

I was moaning at the gf, querying why the f*ck Ally was lining up that free kick (give it to Albertz!) He proved me wrong though.

Back to the topic though, we're shoddy at set pieces.

:lol: I'd have been the same, I miss the Hammer and his digs!

We've struggled for years, when you're in Europe a set-piece is as good as a penalty for some sides, then we stoat up and blooter the ball off the wall.

Made this point to Thommo on Saturday, alot of our corners this season have failed to beat the first man & we have been equally pish at defending them. For years we had one of the best defence's around but now it is a shambles, hope Ally gets it sorted in September.

Exactly. And that bloody free kick Ian Black hit a few weeks ago just sticks in my mind. All the fannying about and then he just hit it off a one man wall, amean come on to fuck!

We've struggled for years, when you're in Europe a set-piece is as good as a penalty for some sides, then we stoat up and blooter the ball off the wall.

Exactly, some teams are drilled into effective use of the set piece - we just seem to fanny about and squander the opportunity.

Going back to the start of last season, I actually had some optimism that Black would be able to sort this out. Evidently not though :(

We need an expert set peice taker.

That is someone with the fucking commitment and dedication to stay behind for an hour after training, grab a coach or a squad keeper and just practice dead ball situations every day. Do that over the course of a few months and the quality of set peice delivery increases tenfold.

This got a like from me because you used 2 of my favourite words in 1 sentence.

Stoat and Blooter. :thumbup:

Barrie McKays delivery of the ball is quality. If he is on the park, it should be him that takes them.

Aye we should at least have somebody who is a designated set piece taker and if they're not on have a back up set piece taker. I'm sick of random players fannying about behind the ball when they could be in the box or in a good position to receive it.