If Spain..

If Spain were to win the World Cup next year, making it 4 major international trophies in a row, would they be considered the greatest team of all time?

I certainly can't see a more consistent international team. And looking in the history books, there's few teams that could cope with them at all, maybe brazil or Germany in their glory days.

What's everyone thinking of their chances in brazil as well? Aside from the Germans and the hosts/Argentina, I can't see anyone close to their league right now

If Spain were to win the World Cup next year, making it 4 major international trophies in a row, would they be considered the greatest team of all time?

NO - that would still be the World Cup Winners of 1966. Well at least according to the BBC.

Yes.

Teams that dominated in the past didn't have the same competition that there is now. Current Holland, Germany, Argentina and Brazil teams are outstanding, so for Spain to be miles ahead of them puts it into perspective. That's not even taking into account teams like Uruguay and Belgium.

I don't see why they can't win it again. They still have a very good squad and a lot of players at a good age.

People like Pique, Ramos, Alba, Mata, Busquets, Fabregas, Silva, Cazorla, Martinez are all at a good age and with the older heads like Casillas, Puyol, Xavi, Iniesta, Alonso about they have a good balance.

The only downfall for them could be a lack of strikers IMO. Will Torres be in form this time next year? David Villa is not the same player he was 2/3 years ago. Maybe up to Negredo, Llorente or Soldado?

I think their already the greatest international team ever , if they win in Rio ( which they have every chance in doing) I think there should be no question . Been said before the strikers could cos a problem , Torres playing regularly could find form but would be interesting where he goes , would he risk Italy where he may not suit the style of play or go back to Spain . Same for villa . But imo llorente and especially soldado could come in and score the goals to take them all the way . They have some amazing youngsters coming through in isco , munian and thiago amongst others so they could dominate for a while yet

NO - that would still be the World Cup Winners of 1966. Well at least according to the BBC.

The England team of 1970 was outstanding though,the only weak link in that set up was Alf RamseyThe game against the legendary Brazil side was a classic indeed Zagallo stated it should have been the final

It's utterly impossible to compare teams from different eras, just as it is with players.

Simply enjoy them for what they are.

You can compare the 'greatness' of teams, though.

The 'best' on the other hand, like you said, is impossible to tell.

No Uruguay 1930 was better

Uruguay 1950 and 2014.

The 1970 Brazil team which is always put forward as the greatest fielded one of the worst goalkeepers in the tournament Felix and Flamengo s Brito who was fucking brutal.

That's why they are such a great team, they could have fielded a cardboard cut out of Twiggy in goal and still won that World cup on their attacking flair alone. 4-1 in a World Cup final against one of the best ever defences aint too shabby.

Uruguay 1950 and 2014.

That's why they are such a great team, they could have fielded a cardboard cut out of Twiggy in goal and still won that World cup on their attacking flair alone. 4-1 in a World Cup final against one of the best ever defences aint too shabby.

I would say having great players in every position make you a great team ,don't get me wrong they were some side.Four goals against you in a final suggests to me that team didn't have one of the best defences ever