As a football team, where are we in terms of quality?

kanjo

Had a debate with a friend today and his argument was...despite what we do before we get back to the SPL it will take upwards £20mil value of players to start competing as we were before.

My argument was that based on a manager with a good history and ability, we would be 3/4 'top quality' talented players away from competing.

It's so difficult to narrow down where we are because i haven't seen the full team at 100% yet but after seeing what we are capable of last Tuesday it makes one wonder.

Had a debate with a friend today and his argument was...despite what we do before we get back to the SPL it will take upwards £20mil value of players to start competing as we were before.

My argument was that based on a manager with a good history and ability, we would be 3/4 'top quality' talented players away from competing.

It's so difficult to narrow down where we are because i haven't seen the full team at 100% yet but after seeing what we are capable of last Tuesday it makes one wonder.

That 20 million chat was also heard on the Clyde phone in and I didn't agree then or now...of course we will have to bring in better players to challenge for the SPL title but as long as we do things in the right way we won't need anywhere near that amount....in fees at least!

Scouting is something we need to invest in and get right! We should also be using this hiatus from the top flight to bleed in as many youngsters as possible and invest in youth development and recruitment. If the likes of Macleod kick on like we all hope then they will be both a sellable asset and valuable 1st team player.

There are great value players out there if we look. Too often we have wasted money on overpriced players often with no residual value. If we get the right players in,for the right positions and continue to progress and develop we won't be too far away from Celtic in 2 years from now.

We are missing another decent central defender.

We really need a Left Midfielder, Templeton is probably better as a supporting striker and he is injury prone, When did we last have a decent LM.

We have contenders for RM but no one has really grasped that position.

The above is my opinion on domestic football, once we reach Europe, Its a whole new ball game.

These debates are a bit premature until we can at least see how the signings we have made shape up - the other reason that's its premature is that I think it takes time to build a squad so over this season Ally will evaluate what we have and look to strengthen both next summer and the one after that for our SPL challenge.

I also don't think it's as easy as people say to 'grow your own' - I expect some players to come through that route but not them all - like all sports there is a huge fall out between potential shown at u20 level and ' making it' so even kids who look great fail to keep developing, and that's not just down to coaching ( or every team would be capable) its down to that players as well - I can't think of one top team that does not supplement by buying / transferring players in so a squad is always a work on progress.

No matter what we need tho' we need to work to a sustainable budget.

These debates are a bit premature until we can at least see how the signings we have made shape up - the other reason that's its premature is that I think it takes time to build a squad so over this season Ally will evaluate what we have and look to strengthen both next summer and the one after that for our SPL challenge.

I also don't think it's as easy as people say to 'grow your own' - I expect some players to come through that route but not them all - like all sports there is a huge fall out between potential shown at u20 level and ' making it' so even kids who look great fail to keep developing, and that's not just down to coaching ( or every team would be capable) its down to that players as well - I can't think of one top team that does not supplement by buying / transferring players in so a squad is always a work on progress.

No matter what we need tho' we need to work to a sustainable budget.

Remember the under 19 Scotland squad that made the final of the Euros a couple of years ago?

Most of the Spanish players are now household names, whereas most of the Scottish players have disappeared.

What do you think is the reason for that?

While am at it, can someone copy and paste the teams for me please?

Remember the under 19 Scotland squad that made the final of the Euros a couple of years ago?

Most of the Spanish players are now household names, whereas most of the Scottish players have disappeared.

Scotland: McNeil, Cave-Brown, Wallace, Grant, Cuthbert, Ferry, Elliot, McGlinchey, Conroy, Cameron, Adams Subs: Kenneth, Fox, Dorrans, Gilmour, Reynolds

Spain: Adán, Barragán, Valiente, Piqué, Mario, Toni, Javi García, Capel, Róber, Mata, Bueno Subs: Crespo, César, Granero, Ángel, Marc Pedraza, Jeffrén, Elustondo

I really don't think we're far behind Celtic just now. There's not many players from their team I'd take which would strengthen the rangers team. Hooper will be a big loss to them. After watching the Edinburgh derby today would say we're miles ahead in quality than that. All on the day though.

I really don't think we're far behind Celtic just now. There's not many players from their team I'd take which would strengthen the rangers team. Hooper will be a big loss to them. After watching the Edinburgh derby today would say we're miles ahead in quality than that. All on the day though.

Was gonna come into this thread ranting but you have struck a well aimed blow to the proverbial nail,mate.

20M my arse!

Or you are just making things up....

Scotland: McNeil, Cave-Brown, Wallace, Grant, Cuthbert, Ferry, Elliot, McGlinchey, Conroy, Cameron, Adams Subs: Kenneth, Fox, Dorrans, Gilmour, Reynolds

Spain: Adán, Barragán, Valiente, Piqué, Mario, Toni, Javi García, Capel, Róber, Mata, Bueno Subs: Crespo, César, Granero, Ángel, Marc Pedraza, Jeffrén, Elustondo

(tu)

I'm sure that Spain squad had more well known players in it??

Seem to remember Busquets, and a few more of the Barca squad being in it.

(tu)

I'm sure that Spain squad had more well known players in it??

Seem to remember Busquets, and a few more of the Barca squad being in it.

Even then if it was true your point would be pretty much invalid as that Barca youth team is pretty much a once in a generation thing.

£20m? We can continue to improve our squad by picking up quality bosmans. Law, Bell, Mohsni, Peralta, Clark have all improved our squad and haven't cost a penny.

Improved our squad from last year but how many would be starters in our squad before admin? Argument for Law other than that none of them really.