Marius Zaliukas signing talks - (Official)

WilliamFyfe

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So... I'm the only one relatively happy with this? Always thought he was decent, won't be on mega wages if he signs, experience at the top level in this country and in one of out weakest positions. Absolutely no harm in seeing what he's got.

Always looked a good defender up here so should do well. Better than what we have currently at the back.

I haven't seen him play for a few years, and I genuinely can't remember what he was like though, for some reason I thought he was a solid defender, nothing fancy, just did the basics well enough? If what you're saying is true then I'd imagine it'll either be him or Moshni and not both (tu)

I'll need to dig out some old sky plussed footage of a rangers hearts game when he played :lol:

From my memory he has a terrible disciplinary record...frightening stuff. We should be giving Luca or Faure a shot at CB.

From my memory he has a terrible disciplinary record...frightening stuff. We should be giving Luca or Faure a shot at CB.

Agree, I'd love to see Luca and Halkett given more game time this year, I think Luca has travelled north, not sure if Halkett has as well, but this signing would put an end to any of those two breaking into the first team. The last game of the season I think it was Moshni? Or maybe Faure picked up a knock, and rather than putting Luca on we subbed on Cribari, the league was tied up, nothing to play for, yet we still put on Cribari :doh:

Couldn't hurt to give these guys a chance (tu)

Gasparotto and Halkett both travelled for the North tour which is a positive.

Ally looking at players before offering contracts is a positive.

But given we have 2 centre halves ( McGregor and Moshni ), 2 aspiring youths for that position ( Luca and Halkett) and 2 others who can play there if necessary (Daly and Jig) is another CH needed?

As for him specifically, he was an OK CH years ago but couldn't stop picking up yellows, reds and suspensions. Aggressive but not smart with it.

Hopefully we give this one a miss but have a gut feeling he'll be signed.

I'd take Thiago Silva over them both, bit we have to be realistic. Bougherra will probably end up in the Premier League.

We waste wages on silly players

Rather than spend money on guys like smith & foster , you could put the wages to someone like bougherra

Quality over quantity all day long

I'm going to wait and see if he actually signs before getting all hysterical about it, I see some people above have chosen to get hysterical now.

Interesting you didn't wait for Boyd to "actually sign" before "getting all hysterical". Maybe best practice what you preach in the future. Regardless of if he signs or not it's clear he is after another CB which to me is baffling.

IMO would be a ridiculous signing.....we have moshini, mcgregor, jig and daly as well as faure, macusland and halket/Gasparrato.....why do we never learn? Why not put some faith in youth or even at least stop overloading our squad for the sake of it!

Zaliukas joining the squad on trial is baffling. If he signs we will have 7 centre backs, Mohsni, McCulloch, McGregor, Zaliukas, Faure, Gasparotto and Halkett. Even if we send the two young lads out on loan, there is still no need to have 5 centre backs in the squad, it would be an absolute waste of a wage.

Zaliukus is no great shake but he's probably better than anybody else we have on the books at the moment and he's a proven leader too which is something that is sadly lacking at the moment.

My main concern is that he's prone to moments of madness and with a bombscare like Mohsni already in the side that worries me a lot.

I actually think a partnership of Zaliukus & McGregor would be a lot better than what we had last season.

Zaliukus is no great shake but he's probably better than anybody else we have on the books at the moment and he's a proven leader too which is something that is sadly lacking at the moment.

My main concern is that he's prone to moments of madness and with a bombscare like Mohsni already in the side that worries me a lot.

I actually think a partnership of Zaliukus & McGregor would be a lot better than what we had last season.

That maybe so but then you have a 36 yr old ( Jig) on just under ten k a week sitting doing nothing!