Why do other Scottish Football fans hate us?

LucyBlue

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not the only reason, of course, but I would guess it's the main reason for the majority. Bigotry, sectarianism and socio-political factors may come into it for the minority - and for a special group a perfect storm of all four - but it is a minority.

Not looking for an argument, but i can go right back to the 60s and we were hated that far back.

I can take jealousy.

I can take some pent-up anti-Rangers aggression from Tic fans.

Oh I have my own ideas....bitterness, jealousy, an imposed hatred from birth from some....

But I've read online blogs from Hearts to Raith.....

THEY HATE US.

That makes me hate them....I fucking hate them....

But...deep down....why the fuck do they hate us?

It's called rivalry... and without it football would die.

Ask me another...

Funnily enough, this seems to skip over the pathological desire of bitter Tims to see us dead.

They are the problem... and would we have it any other way?

Do we 'hate' them when we see them in the stadium?

Do we 'hate' their bitter comments on webpages?

Do we 'hate' everything about them and their team when they are dressed in their hoops?

Yes. Yes. Yes.

Crisis over.

(Apart from Aberdeen obviously - they hate us).

Although both Ranger and Man U have been dominant forces in their countries, and hated for that, that's maybe not a great comparison. Man U was never seen as the 'establishment' club in England - I don't think there is a club seen that way in England. So maybe hatred of Rangeres is hatred of what people see as the Scottish 'establishment' equally as much as straightforward jealousy.

Jealousy. Plain and simple.

Let's be honest, we are arrogant. During the 90's and beyond we lorded it over everyone letting them know how inferior they were and now, well, we're getting the backlash of that attitude.

It is a fair point.

I would still say that only Celtic and Aberdeen have real 'hate' wheras Motherwell don't and they finished second twice.

And Aberdeen's isn't really valid as it isn't sectarian.

Although both Ranger and Man U have been dominant forces in their countries, and hated for that, that's maybe not a great comparison. Man U was never seen as the 'establishment' club in England - I don't think there is a club seen that way in England. So maybe hatred of Rangeres is hatred of what people see as the Scottish 'establishment' equally as much as straightforward jealousy.

Completely disagree with you mate. If we're getting into the modern Scottish establishment there are many catholics in the Scottish Labour Party and in high places. And if it's about the old Scottish establishment, there really isn't one to speak of.

Rangers and Real Madrid is probably a fairer comparison, although the establishment is obviously slightly different.

I honestly could not give a flying fuck what any other teams fans think of us

Too many sensitive souls these days.

I only support one club team, I shouldn't expect rival fans to like me in that capacity.

Just the same as any sporting rivalry.

Scotland v England. McEnroe v Bjorg. Higgins v Davis. Wilson v Bristow. I am sure we have all said we have hated the opponent now and again.

You are a West Ham fan who can't spell Rangers. I hate you.

I always think of that line from The Dark Knight is quite relevant to the Rangers/rest of Scottish football situation: "... this is different, they crossed the line." "You crossed the line first, sir, you squeezed and hammered them to the point of desperation." Of course they were going to take a pot-shot at us when the chips were down... I think because Rangers have been so successful, all we've had to worry about during the living memory of most fans is Celtic and possibly Aberdeen; a lot of our fans might find it difficult to empathise with the smaller teams and only hate them now because it seemed like in our moment of weakness all of Scottish Football was out to destroy us. This has turned many Bears' disregard for the remainder of Scottish football into hatred in kind, "they hate us, we hate them". It's kind of depressing, I go to the football to support my team on the pitch, not because of hate politics with the rest of society.

Rangers and Real Madrid is probably a fairer comparison, although the establishment is obviously slightly different.ablishment

Good point. The general hatred towards the 'national' club which was seen to represent national/est values would hold, obviously with regional rather than sectarian underpinnings.

Completely disagree with you mate. If we're getting into the modern Scottish establishment there are many catholics in the Scottish Labour Party and in high places. And if it's about the old Scottish establishment, there really isn't one to speak of.

I agree that's very true nowadays, but in the past wasn't Rangers seen as the club that best reflected the Scottish 'mainstream', and that a lot of hatred towards Rangers reflects animosity towards that? We all know that history, and misreadings of history, is responsible for too much grief in this world, way outside the scope of football,

I think the whole league thing hasn't helped us. The tims have peddled the myth that we shouldn't of been allowed to join sfl3, so well, that all the other team's fans are following suit. They genuinly don't realise we're the only show in town in Scottish football.

Fuck em, 54 titles :union:

...a lot of our fans might find it difficult to empathise with the smaller teams and only hate them now because it seemed like in our moment of weakness all of Scottish Football was out to destroy us. This has turned many Bears' disregard for the remainder of Scottish football into hatred in kind...

I would have guessed at it being the other way about for many? I'd normally have wanted relative success for other clubs and Scottish football, bar the more obvious ones, until the last 20 months happened. The glee and haste in which they've lined up to put the boot in showed the obvious direction for most of the hate.