Generic Gaming thread (formerly known as the PS4 Thread)

Iakona

Thief Runs At 1080p On PS4, Struggled To Hit 900p On Xbox One – 1080p On Xbox One Is A Forever Problem Due To ESRAM and GPU

Unless you are living under a rock, you know that almost all major next-gen multiplatform games are running at lower resolution on Xbox One compared to PlayStation 4, some games also run at lower fps on Xbox One. The main reason behind this is Xbox One’s lower hardware specifications. The ESRAM and GPU that powers Xbox One are not capable enough to provide similar video game resolutions like PlayStation 4.

Xbox One is being accused of not providing maximum video game resolutions to the gamers and not running next-gen games on higher resolutions. Many upcoming next-gen games have been reported to have lower resolution (and sometimes fps) on Xbox One. Just recently, former IGN editor Jeremy Conrad revealed that Thief will not run at full 1080p on Xbox One.

Thief next-gen resolutions and frame rates have not been officially announced yet but it looks like the numbers revealed by Jeremy Conard are pretty much final. According to Conard, the game runs at full HD 1080p on PlayStation 4 while for Xbox One, the native resolution of the game is 900p, the game is locked at 30fps on both consoles.

Conrad also added that the developer of the game Eidos Montreal, struggled hard to achieve 900p for Thief on Xbox One.

not really mate,felt like 4 was just 1 big cutscene,plus if I got discovered,I could usually fight my way out of it,not sure if you'll be able to do that with thief.

I played the last one for the PS2 and enjoyed it but could never get into the PS3 version.

I know it's a great game but I just can't get into them for some reason.

you finished outlast yet ya big shitebag ? lol.i finished it the other night,great game mate.

Naw finally got past the switching on the power generators though! Done it on Sat night :lol:

Will take me ages though, always get to a bit where a shit myself and then I turn it off n stick on BF or FIFA. :lol:

Been getting shite reviews. Seems they tried to copy Dishonored and failed rather than making a proper Thief game, Mines got sent out today as well...didnt have time to cancel it.

Fuck listening to reviews best way is to play games yourself.

Thief Runs At 1080p On PS4, Struggled To Hit 900p On Xbox One – 1080p On Xbox One Is A Forever Problem Due To ESRAM and GPU

Unless you are living under a rock, you know that almost all major next-gen multiplatform games are running at lower resolution on Xbox One compared to PlayStation 4, some games also run at lower fps on Xbox One. The main reason behind this is Xbox One's lower hardware specifications. The ESRAM and GPU that powers Xbox One are not capable enough to provide similar video game resolutions like PlayStation 4.

Xbox One is being accused of not providing maximum video game resolutions to the gamers and not running next-gen games on higher resolutions. Many upcoming next-gen games have been reported to have lower resolution (and sometimes fps) on Xbox One. Just recently, former IGN editor Jeremy Conrad revealed that Thief will not run at full 1080p on Xbox One.

Thief next-gen resolutions and frame rates have not been officially announced yet but it looks like the numbers revealed by Jeremy Conard are pretty much final. According to Conard, the game runs at full HD 1080p on PlayStation 4 while for Xbox One, the native resolution of the game is 900p, the game is locked at 30fps on both consoles.

Conrad also added that the developer of the game Eidos Montreal, struggled hard to achieve 900p for Thief on Xbox One.

"A lot of gamers are caught up in what has been dubbed 'Resolution-Gate'. The PS4 is a monster machine for $399, and the Xbox One is toast. Yadda yadda. But are gamers getting too caught up in numbers? After playing Thief I'd argue the answer is a resounding 'YES'.

Playing through Thief on PS4 and Xbox One over the past week I'm not so sure 1080p on consoles is a standard that should be set for next-gen. The PS4 version struggles needlessly to try to maintain a 30 frames per second presentation, regularly dipping into the 15-20 range during gameplay. At several points in the journey, it even edges toward the single digits. That isn't even something I remember dealing with on the PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360.

What makes this particularly controversial is the Xbox One version does a much better job of maintaining a steady framerate. I'd go as far as to say because of this, the Xbox One version is better.

So how is it that Thief on Xbox One is able to do this? Well, the short answer is 900p. It's displayed at a lower resolution, requiring roughly 660,000 fewer pixels per image to be rendered. However, the visual clarity would make you think the six-digit figure is in no way accurate. The truth is that's due to diminishing returns. Between 900p and 1080p the images don't look nearly as different as going from the standard definition output of 480i up to 720p. Surprisingly, the pixel difference is the same."

Single digit fps at times :lol:

The majority on this forum do not put gameplay before resolution/graphics...But really this has always been a problem in the console industry with most devs choosing to put out 30fps games instead of 60fps to ramp up the graphics to please the audience it also makes their life easier, Older gamers realise 60fps is much better than 30 even if it means toned down graphics while the young ones shout about "resolution, graphics & count the pixels"

The whereabouts of the PS4's premiere social racing game DriveClub is becoming one of the great gaming mysteries. Originally due to launch alongside the PS4 back in November, Sony applied the brakes close to its release, and aside from a brief selection of gorgeous gameplay videos released shortly after with the promose of a full race gameplay video which never materialised, Sony has been suspiciously silent on DriveClub so far this year.

DriveClub was looking a bit rough around the edges when I sat down to play it at Eurogamer, leading us to presume the game was sent back to the pits for some polishing up. The release was then halted until 'early 2014,' but it's now nearly March, making the rumours suggesting DriveClub won't be ready until June increasingly plausible.

However, a new rumour points to another possible factor contributing to DriveClub's delay: the rumoured reveal of Sony's VR Headset, a.k.a. the direct rival rival to the fabled Oculus Rift headset.

According to CVC, an inside source has claimed that Sony's VR Headset will be revealed this year at GDC, which will be held from March 17th - 21st. And DriveClub could well be headlining the reveal, as a developer also told CVC that Sony has been working with the peripheral to simulate a 3D cockpit view for DriveClub allowing you to freely look around.

If this turns out to be true, it would certainly explain why Sony has been so secretive and holding back any information on DriveClub lately, in order to create suspense for this potential surprise reveal.

At this rate, DriveClub is in danger of veering off people's radar, so showing it supporting VR technology would certainly generate some much-needed publicity for the PS4's flagging flagship racer. DriveClub's cockpit camera has been heavily promoted as the best way to experience DriveClub, too, so this would be an effective demonstration of the VR headset's capability. Also, remember when Evolution's MotorStorm Apocalypse was heavily publicised by Sony in their push for games supporting stereoscopic 3D before realising nobody actually cared? History could be about to repeat itself.

As for news on DriveClub's release, Sony is still insisting we'll hear more soon. Commenting on Twitter, Sony's Global Product Manager teased that "good things come to those who wait wink.gif", before confirming that more will be revealed "very soon."

http://www.teamvvv.com/en/news/comments/Was-DriveClub-delayed-to-showcase-Sonys-VR-Headset