Quintessential British club - in an independent Scotland?

Paul Ignotus

I see the possibility of both outcomes bit i think personally the swing will go to the Yes vote. My response is to those who are just saying that a Yes vote is a near impossibility, it really isn't and these are the people who need to wake up an look at the games both parties are currently playing then factor in age groups allegiances, the fickleness of the youngsters getting the vote and ultimately how the press report all this. IMO Cameron has abandoned us in terms of fighting the good fight to keep the union and the SNP are gaining on their position with fake promises and uncertain economic speculations.

Cameron is a Tory prime minister and we all know how unpopular the conservatives are in Scotland, so I'm not sure him taking a step back is a bad thing.

I agree there's no room for complacency, but both sides will come out with defiant sort of confidence.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

General belief from both sides of the campaign is we are divided into thirds, one thirds is distinctly Yes, one third is distinctly No, the remaining third are among a mainly working class grouping, looking to be informed and convinced with facts.

As SNP have nothing concrete to offer except unicorns and eternal life I think we can safely say that those people will not be voting Yes.

Meanwhile the education system is being set back years by blind mole M Russell and Local Authorities are running on empty trying to stick with this delusional Council Tax freeze. (I mean delusional because you cannot pay for this years services with budgets which weren't enough 3/4 years ago)

Most Nationalists are Sheepshagging taig racist inbred bastards

I'm a Rangers fan and a nationalist. I realise you did use the phrase "most" nationalists".Those statistics don't add up anyways. So only people who have sexy time with sheep, are Roman catholics and celtic supporters, whom have either had sex with a family member or are a result of two family members having sex, are racist and to throw a spanner in the works, their father died before birth, are the people are most nationalists are?

Didn't realise there was so many. I need to watch myself.

General belief from both sides of the campaign is we are divided into thirds, one thirds is distinctly Yes, one third is distinctly No, the remaining third are among a mainly working class grouping, looking to be informed and convinced with facts.

As SNP have nothing concrete to offer except unicorns and eternal life I think we can safely say that those people will not be voting Yes.

Meanwhile the education system is being set back years by blind mole M Russell and Local Authorities are running on empty trying to stick with this delusional Council Tax freeze. (I mean delusional because you cannot pay for this years services with budgets which weren't enough 3/4 years ago)

Ye have to be kidding I am asking what the union has to offer. At the moment we get very little, have a gvt no one in the Scottish nation voted for. Do ye believe if we stay with the union that the privatisation of NHS, tuition fees and free care of the elderely will remain . The SNP are at least offering policies and an opportunity to redefine and establish a nation. The status quo currently means we will never have a real chance of GVt, the scotttish PM GB was barely allowed office. Cameron and co are destroying the armed forces and are attempting to deflect the attention. People are panicing and yet for centuries we have had an independent legal system (whilst in the union) a separate education system and thanks to tory cuts the NHS and university system is now separate I ask why the hell then do we need governed from Westminister. The Queen already has a different role in Scottish faith than in England and finally the best yet a Welsh minister reckons he would be scared for Wales against a larger England (his words) and I note not an ounce of why we should stay or he likes us just Welsh interests

I'm a Rangers fan and a nationalist. I realise you did use the phrase "most" nationalists".Those statistics don't add up anyways. So only people who have sexy time with sheep, are Roman catholics and celtic supporters, whom have either had sex with a family member or are a result of two family members having sex, are racist and to throw a spanner in the works, their father died before birth, are the people are most nationalists are?

Didn't realise there was so many. I need to watch myself.

So you think it's acceptable with what happening with the O'Brien and child sexual abuses at Celtic and RC Church also nationalism can cause a dangerous and divided society

Scotland was a united kingdom 1000 years ago consisting of Northumbrians , Welsh , Ulster-Scots , Gaels

So you think it's acceptable with what happening with the O'Brien and child sexual abuses at Celtic and RC Church also nationalism can cause a dangerous and divided society

It was actually more than that never a united kingdom as centralised gvt was not established in Scotland until a few hundred years ago seems ye have completely misunderstood that part I despise all perverts but am prudent enough to know its not just a catholic issue and certainly not one of the union. I however have had concerns recently with the way in which Scotland has been overtook by the "mhedia" and those hellish mob from Glasgow but this has been happening for a decade now and our UK allies have did nothing to supress it so I cannot see how keeping a union will prevent it

Ye have to be kidding I am asking what the union has to offer. At the moment we get very little, have a gvt no one in the Scottish nation voted for. Do ye believe if we stay with the union that the privatisation of NHS, tuition fees and free care of the elderely will remain . The SNP are at least offering policies and an opportunity to redefine and establish a nation. The status quo currently means we will never have a real chance of GVt, the scotttish PM GB was barely allowed office. Cameron and co are destroying the armed forces and are attempting to deflect the attention. People are panicing and yet for centuries we have had an independent legal system (whilst in the union) a separate education system and thanks to tory cuts the NHS and university system is now separate I ask why the hell then do we need governed from Westminister. The Queen already has a different role in Scottish faith than in England and finally the best yet a Welsh minister reckons he would be scared for Wales against a larger England (his words) and I note not an ounce of why we should stay or he likes us just Welsh interests

I have requited my original points answer me those or how the union can be more equal or agreeable to Scotland and I would say no However at present the union is merely a chain around our necks. I hear ridiculous points about passports( CTA has already been the norm in Ireland) and yet we are already so separate in our ways and systems it seems absurd that we accept rule from Westminister

Don't see what that has to do with independence. For the purpose of clarity, I do not agree with sexual abuse in general, child or otherwise. Independence isn't a roman catholic cause. Society is already divided. It would be a sad day if this resulted in a dangerous situation, I know that nationalists would not cause any danger if things didn't go our way, I hope unionists are the same.

It is worth noting that the Union Flag was created by King James VI (I in England), when he inherited the English Crown, as a symbol of his joint kingdom. That was around a hundred years before the political union. A political union that may well never have emerged had the Darien Company not gone bankrupt. As such it is perfectly reasonable for someone to take pride in that union (that United Kingdom) without necessarily being in favour of the political one which, when you get down to it, is really about the structure of government and policy making more than anything else.

On the other hand I don't see that as a uniquely Scottish issue. The UK establishment is and always has been run by an elite for the benefit of an elite who view ordinary people as cattle. It is largely only interested in policies than benefit London and its surrounding counties and benefit large corporations. Northern England is no less disenfranchised than Scotland in that regard. This is an issue that transcends the independence debate and is one of how we create a fairer world for everyone, regardless of where they were born, what colour their skin is, etc. The power elite are trying to restrict our freedoms, snoop on our communications, destroy public services and more. Politicians and intelligence agencies are acting as though they are above the law. Right now the UK (just like the USA) heading into a police state and people fighting among themselves is exactly what the elite want. That of course is a point that is neither for nor against Scottish independence but whatever we choose we should recognise that there are bigger issues.

Identity on the other hand is about people and who and what they relate to. There is no reason why someone cannot be proud to be British and support political/economic sovereignty for Scotland. Likewise there is no reason why, if Scotland does become independent, we should not celebrate our shared history with the other great nations of this Island and recognise that it (the political merger) served well in the past but has perhaps outlived its purpose in many ways and it is time to change the format of that relationship. In fact I think pride in that is a hat that many people could wear more comfortably in an independent Scotland than at present - i.e. without the perception of being the junior partner.

It is also worth noting that Australia held a vote on becoming a republic but chose to retain the monarchy, something that any future independent Scotland would very likely do. Both countries have a great deal of regard for the Queen and the Royal family.

Since the SNP won a majority at the last Scottish elections - and taigs comprise only 16% of the population - then at least one of your charming generalizations is demonstrably incorrect.

16% Roman Catholic which is not quite the same thing. Some of them are Polish Catholics, who are not taigs, and some of the 28% non-religions will be taigs.