Quintessential British club - in an independent Scotland?

Paul Ignotus

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How does that endanger the Union?

It's great to see English and Scottish flags waving in support of our own national teams. And Union Flags when we're playing as a united team like at the London Olympics where we clearly demonstrated how strong we are together. Used to hate seeing Union Flags waved at purely English events and glad that's dying out. Federalsim is the way ahead. Next stop is to replace the National Anthem at England games...

For English independence?

How do you know?

I think what he's saying is that a large % of English people would be quite glad to see the back of Scotland.

There is a marked rise in English nationalism through a number of reasons. I think a lot of people are quite naive in how the union is perceived down south. The irony is with all the cries of loyalty to the queen and crown etc both here and especially in NI the fact is most folk from the rest of the British isles don't give a fuck about it and put their own country before the union.

I think what he's saying is that a large % of English people would be quite glad to see the back of Scotland.

There is a marked rise in English nationalism through a number of reasons. I think a lot of people are quite naive in how the union is perceived down south. The irony is with all the cries of loyalty to the queen and crown etc both here and especially in NI the fact is most folk from the rest of the British isles don't give a fuck about it and put their own country before the union.

Is that right?

Is that right?

Yes absolutely.

I was down in Swansea recently for their game with Man U and this came up in the pub after the game. All of the boys down there see themselves as Welsh. Sure they back the lions and stuff but there was not one union flag on show that I could see.

A lot of them preferred the scum due to Hartson and thinking it was a catholic v Protestant thing. They all thought we walked about in England tops finding it all a bit bizarre. Of course that's a stereotypical view and there is nothing wrong with celebrating the union and being British.

However most if us are British by default and for economic reasons. If for a second I thought independence would bring greater wealth and prospects for me and my family then I wouldn't hesitate to vote Yes.

Too think most people down south or in Wales really give a fuck about the union over their own country is beyond naive, you would be deluded.

anyone thinking that a No vote is a done deal is a mug. IMO the Yes vote will clinch it and the way that Cameron is showing little involvement and choosing to task others in his party with the work of convincing that the No vote is the way forward will push more toward the Yes vote - his party is full of clowns who are doing little to answer critics saying that they are using scare tactics. Too many also believe that the SNP have this mapped out - far from it, but in the eyes of many northerners who struggle to find connection with us in the central and lowlands never mind the English, the Yes vote is a done deal in terms of their vote. Add in the blue rinse brigade who vote in mass numbers and want change (as they should) to how they are treated, the 16 year olds who will be fired yup with endless repeats of Braveheart and nationalist propaganda and Salmond will get the yes vote through.

anyone thinking that a No vote is a done deal is a mug. IMO the Yes vote will clinch it and the way that Cameron is showing little involvement and choosing to task others in his party with the work of convincing that the No vote is the way forward will push more toward the Yes vote - his party is full of clowns who are doing little to answer critics saying that they are using scare tactics. Too many also believe that the SNP have this mapped out - far from it, but in the eyes of many northerners who struggle to find connection with us in the central and lowlands never mind the English, the Yes vote is a done deal in terms of their vote. Add in the blue rinse brigade who vote in mass numbers and want change (as they should) to how they are treated, the 16 year olds who will be fired yup with endless repeats of Braveheart and nationalist propaganda and Salmond will get the yes vote through.

I originally come from the Hebrides and agree that we have a very different perspective of the union. There are a lot of the older generation who are very proud to be British, but we also have a lot of the younger generation who have seen themselves pushed out of their homes by the influx of English thus pricing them out of homes, land and potential business potential. This is not a racist remark but sad economics in the North that is beginning to cause an underlying resentment amongst the people. These people will vote yes all day long. I will vote no, but i can understand why some will vote yes. The Union campaign needs to up its game as it is running a very very negative campaign and continually using the fear factor. To beat Salmond we should be promoting why it is good to stay in the Union. David Cameron is just a cunt when it comes to this. There are no Tory votes in Scotland so he doesn't give a shit.

I originally come from the Hebrides and agree that we have a very different perspective of the union. There are a lot of the older generation who are very proud to be British, but we also have a lot of the younger generation who have seen themselves pushed out of their homes by the influx of English thus pricing them out of homes, land and potential business potential. This is not a racist remark but sad economics in the North that is beginning to cause an underlying resentment amongst the people. These people will vote yes all day long. I will vote no, but i can understand why some will vote yes. The Union campaign needs to up its game as it is running a very very negative campaign and continually using the fear factor. To beat Salmond we should be promoting why it is good to stay in the Union. David Cameron is just a cunt when it comes to this. There are no Tory votes in Scotland so he doesn't give a shit.

Read about Scottish history the time after Romans had left Scotland and before the Vikings came and you will be going what the heck I didn't know that

You criticise people for thinking No is a done deal yet again you're pretty much saying Yes is a done deal?

You're certainly consistently pessimistic about this.

In 8-9 th century Alba consisted of four kingdoms , Picts the natives of the land , Angles who came from Northumberland and who occupied Lothians and Borders , Britons who came from Wales and they kingdom consisted of mostly what is Dumfries And Galloway and then there was the Scots who came from Ireland who gave there name to the country they which was most the West Coast of Scotland they actually called their kingdom Strathclyde

Since the SNP won a majority at the last Scottish elections - and taigs comprise only 16% of the population - then at least one of your charming generalizations is demonstrably incorrect.

So are you saying that taig = Roman Catholic, and Roman Catholic = taig?

You criticise people for thinking No is a done deal yet again you're pretty much saying Yes is a done deal?

You're certainly consistently pessimistic about this.

I see the possibility of both outcomes bit i think personally the swing will go to the Yes vote. My response is to those who are just saying that a Yes vote is a near impossibility, it really isn't and these are the people who need to wake up an look at the games both parties are currently playing then factor in age groups allegiances, the fickleness of the youngsters getting the vote and ultimately how the press report all this. IMO Cameron has abandoned us in terms of fighting the good fight to keep the union and the SNP are gaining on their position with fake promises and uncertain economic speculations.