Quintessential British club - in an independent Scotland?

Paul Ignotus

So where do the Nortern Isles process their oil once they get it to shore? From whence do they get their supplies? Will they be paying Grangemouth & Aberdeen to service their oil industry. Scotland would still be able to make money from them. If they were to be an exclave of the England/Wales nation, almost all their everyday requirements would have to pass through Scotland/Scottish waters giving rise to import/export duties. And please stop refering to England as the United Kingdom. The United Kingdom refers to the union of the crowns of Scotland and England and would continue as such following independence, should the Scottish people vote that way. The United Kingdom is not at risk, despite the lies perpetrated by David Cameron who clearly needs a history lesson.

The United Kingdom actually refers to the union between The Kingdom of Great Britain and the Kingdom of Ireland (now Northern Ireland). Scotland would leave the Kingdom of Great Britain, but the union between what's left of the Kingdom of Great Britain and what's left of the Kingdom of Ireland would remain in place.

The SNP want Scotland to be part of Europe, which would mean there would be no import or export duties. If Scotland wasn't part of Europe, and did impose duties, then I think they would send the oil to Norway, which as part of the EEA doesn't impose import or export duties on goods going to or from Britain.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BP. In simple language the UK is not a political union. It existed between 1603 and 1707 with two sovereign parliaments. Wales was conquered by England prior to that hence my reference to England/Wales. NI does not figure in this part of the discussion as there was not an Irish crown to be united with. I have nothing against the Six Counties, in fact I have a great admiration for them bearing in mind what they have put up with and, in Belfast, still having to put up with. I just prefer accuracy when referring to the UK.

Pope Adrian IV appointed Henry II as Lord of Ireland in 1155. In 1542, Henry VIII declared himself King of Ireland after he broke away from Rome and established the Church of England.

In 1801, the Kingdom of Great Britain and the Kingdom of Ireland merged to form the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

But the 16-18 years seem to be less in favour of independence than the rest of the population.

When I was that age, I was thinking about what I needed to do so that I could earn a living in the future. Moving to England was one of the options I was considering, and in the end I did move to England. About 90% of the people in my class left the country, and England was by far the most popular destination. Some of them have since returned to Scotland, I haven't. Either way, people of that age aren't going to want to close off that option.

(Say independence happens) do you really think moving to England is going to no longer be an option ? ( also I think it would be a good thing if folk stopped moving away

(Say independence happens) do you really think moving to England is going to no longer be an option ? ( also I think it would be a good thing if folk stopped moving away

If Scotland was no longer part of the EU, then yes. English employers have to give priority to EU citizens, and are only allowed to employ someone from outside the EU if they can't find a suitably qualified EU citizen to do the job.

If Scotland was no longer part of the EU, then yes. English employers have to give priority to EU citizens, and are only allowed to employ someone from outside the EU if they can't find a suitably qualified EU citizen to do the job.

The SNP are still peddling the lie that an independent Scotland would remain within the EU, so they avoid awkward issues like this.

I dont think that would happen but if that was the case that would be good for Scotland - no brain drain!

It's not awkward at all if we ain't in the EU that will help stop the brain drain !

Yet your heroes in the Scottish executive wasted 20k of public money to avoid the truth coming out.

Only last week sturgeon dodged the issue on radio 4.

Gnats. Liars from the cradle to the grave.

VOTE NO FOR FREEDOM, DEMOCRACY AND TRUTH.

Yet your heroes in the Scottish executive wasted 20k of public money to avoid the truth coming out.

It's not about single issues, politicians nor ( IMHO ) cash - it is about direction. What serves Scotland best! IMHO that is self determination.

Btw your last sentence made me laugh - I very much doubt freedom democracy or truth (!! ?) will be affected either way.

Thanks for that CB. I for one have NEVER forgotten just how slimy and sleekit the pie man has behaved in his courting of the papish vote. He and his merry band cannot and should not be trusted. Vote NO. To a Scottish Rhepublic.

Always horrific to see words like papish' on RM.

Always horrific to see words like papish' on RM.

Completely agree. I can understand 'tarrier' - anyone that sings songs glorifying terrorists deserves being called that and all the contempt from righ thinking people that goes with it. But 'papist' as a term of abuse to all RCs is way too far, leave it in the eighteenth century...

Great post Manti, that's why there will never be an independent Scotland, liars and dippin the till for self profit, wonder how much they are gettin bunged for the great wind farm scam ! (tu);):sherlock:

One of my worries over this is if Scotland leaves the union,if England is isolated what happens to the Falklands. No Britain to defend them.argentina would invade and claim the area as its own.the inhabitants are British,god help them.

You will have more to worry about, liewell and salmond will have you sweepin their chimneys from the inside ! (tu);):sherlock:

I dont think that would happen but if that was the case that would be good for Scotland - no brain drain!

It's not awkward at all if we ain't in the EU that will help stop the brain drain !

You make it sound more like a penal colony than independance. They'll be putting fences up to keep people in, a bit like an independant North Korea.