First ever European away game

Billstar

PSG in 2001 when I was 18, we'd just started going about with older lads at that time, still best pals to this day but they'd been round the block a bit, the French plod where animals though, PSG fans had the cops running scared.

It was an amazing experiance and to leave with the result on pens was just too sweet.

de Boer should have won it for us in extra time but he sky'd a late penalty, or at least in that moment if felt like he completely sky'd it. someone told me a while back that the Southampton manager missed they're last penalty that night.

McLeish came in and had a brilliant firat 18 months winning 5 trophies he could compete for BUT I've always felt that if Advocaat stayed in charge we had a real chance of winning the Uefa Cup that year.

On a side note, I remember that night being the first real time I thought Russell Latapy could be a top Rangers player, I remember the groans when he came on and ue just took the game by the scruff of the neck.

Good times, memories that'll last a lifetime

That was my first one aswell,unbelievable experience

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cologne 78 the year we put out Juventus and PSV went with the Nithsdale. First bus to arrive in the city. Got interviewed by German tv was asked if it was true that the support did not work and told them yes because we were all from the families of wealthy industrialists. In the pub at teatime and there I am on the news with subtitles. The bears fukin loved it...

Villa Real last sixteen, stayed in Benidorm and got the bus from the Golden Last, can't mind who it was but someone missed a sitter right infront of us, ended up in the home end behind the goal, we travelled up the day before for the tickets and got our picture taken by the Sun and we were in the paper the day of the game, after we got our tickets we headed back to Benidorm for an almighty sash bash in Benidorm square, the night was excellent untill the polis cornered us in, blocking both sides of the square. all I can remember is a really loud rendition of Rule Britania and the cops charged us (unknown to me) I had a pint in my hand and in full voice only to feel an excrutiating pain in my back, it was a baton, I turned round without spilling a drop of my pint to total mayhem pints getting thrown, chairs, tables the lot. I couldn't dwell on being hit as my brother and father were pishing theirselves laughing. I had to sit up straight on the bus (and all the way home) as I had a massive bruise right across my back. moral of the story ACAB (especially foreign cops).

my 1st trip was Stuttgart away, think about 02/03, went over with flight options, without tickets, night before the game was unbelievable, a remember singing 9 in a row just as the tims were kicking off against bayern, nxt thing i knew that game had finished 0-0, and we were still singing it! managed to but fake stuttgart end tickets on the day of the game, got beat 1-0 but that didmt matter, i was hooked!!! not missed many since, my favourite trip was porto, in the square before the game was special, bremen and florence were up there aswell, can honestly say tho that i havent had a bad trip yet, cant wait for the nxt 1, WATP

My first euro trip was Monaco think it was the red lion pub we traveled with. Three of us went think we were 15\16 years old.A real adventure loved it don't think we even had a hotel booked some old guy took us under his wing and sorted out rooms for us in this big old mansion in nice I think it was. No fans were allowed into Monaco until the day of the game. The last few years we have tried to go to at least 2 trips abroad a season. Can't wait till were back in Europe just need to stick to the pre season trips next year

With all this boycott chatter got to thinking about all the places I've been to watch Rangers and my first ever European away game. Went to Milan in 1984 to see us play Inter in the Uefa Cup. The memories that I have from this trip will never leave me. Only 14 and from Drumchapel I went on the Bishopbriggs bus which was very well ran. Can't remember the big guys name who ran the bus at the time but to me he was one of them legendary mountain of a Bear characters :praise:

A 2 day bus journey to Milan with all them memorable stops at numerous service stations, the faces of the staff when thousands of Bears descended upon them in the UK and abroad. Thrown in with the card game on the boat, were I kindly assisted one of the Bears at the Blackjack table to give the dealer a doing and got a tenner for my troubles.

Had my picture taken with a group of Rangers fans with a couple of penguins with the Bears showing there gratitude to the penguins with a few extended versions of our greatest songs :party:

The Rangers end was a sea of Union Jacks tied around the San Siro and there was a youth game going on before the match. Italians started to come onto the pitch and steal flags and I remember it all kicking off and a few hundred bears chasing the Italians around the side of stadium to get the flags back. The boys from the Bishy bus had stood tall and I remember the war wounds some of them had with one big guy actually breaking his leg and he was dropped off at hospital in England on the way home. Sadly we were beaten 3 nil with Super Ally missing a good chance that would probably have seen a few thousand bears on the pitch if he had scored.

The Inter fans were up to all sort of nonsense during the game and after but them and the city of Milan knew the Rangers had been in town.

Wonderful memories that I will cherish until my last breath. I understand there is a lot of friction between the support just now but we should and we must remember We Are the Greatest Fans in the world of that I have no doubt. It is now more than ever the club needs us and I for one will always be there.

Thank you Rangers

I was there,fantastic few days,never forget it

Only been to Stuttgart when I was 19, went with a group of four - one missed the flight on the way out, only two of us made the game and one lost his passport over there and had to stay until it got sorted.

Also supermarket sweep may work in service stations, but don't try it at 10,000 feet :lol:

Inter cities fairs cup semi-final 2nd leg in Newcastle was 12 at time went with a relative who drove a supporter bus from partick game ended in a riot was a European game even if it was in Newcastle. Does this count. Sure someone will let me know.

Inter cities fairs cup semi-final 2nd leg in Newcastle was 12 at time went with a relative who drove a supporter bus from partick game ended in a riot was a European game even if it was in Newcastle. Does this count. Sure someone will let me know.

yes mate it counts I remember that game and to be honest was sickened at the result and the behaviour. I also remember some bassa called Liam saving a penalty.

Great thread

My first one was Gothenburg at the start of the failed ten in a row season

Got humped 3.0

My Dad was working in Sweden at the time so took me over

Was a low key affair. In and out job and arrived at game right on kick off

Tbh since that game the only ones I've missed is

Galatasary (although doing that with Chelsea in Feb)

Paok Salonika

Bitear Jerusalem

First Parma

Inter Milan closed doors

Vitoria Zizkov

Done just about every Euro away pre season too tbh since then

Can't see me ever missing another one until the day I die unless I'm hospitalised or something

Fair play to you mate. You must have some job!