First ever European away game

Billstar

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Juventus in the old comunalle stadium in 1978 ,bus left ibrox monday night and returned friday morning, amazing atmosphere playing against most of the team who played for italy in the argentina world cup that year, beating juventus then psv eindhoven was amazing cologne put us out but i truly believe had we beaten cologne we could have won the european cup that season, forest played malmo in the final in my opinion we could have beat either in a one off final - PS GREAT MEMORIES OF BOBBY RUSSELL SKIPPING PAST ITALIAN AND DUTCH INTERNATIONALS FOR FUN

My first trip was as a 15 year old on the bus to Dortmund back in Decemer 99. Think it was my first trip away without my mum or dad so was a major eye opener for me and my cousin who was 16.

The guy who ran the bus assured the parents he'd keep an eye on us but we were on the ran dan from the 1st minute. Right into the strippers with the rest of the squad. Couple of melted wee guys soaking up the atmosphere with all the bears.

After watching Rangers take them apart at home with a 2 v 0 win and scoring one of my favourite ever Rangers goals from wee Rodney Wallace there was a confidence that we could make it through. Sneak an away goal and they needed 4.

Unfortunately it all ended with a bit of drama and anti climax for us. Dortmund were 1 v 0 up and in the 92nd min they whip a hopeful ball into the box. Big Jens Lehman the keeper gets a touch on it and it falls to Fredi Bobic to smash it home.

GUTTED!!

The match went on to penalties and Rangers were rotten. Think it was only big Amo who scored for us. We were out on our arse and it was off to catch the 18 hour bus journey back home.

Was hooked after this trip though. Look forward to the next European away trip!!

That was fukkin freezing that night

I went on the Thornliebank bus to that one

3 of us fi Bo'ness were on the bus fi Thornliebank, one of my mates went up the back of the bus and

whatever they gave him he was out his face for 2 days, i can still see him getting his breakfast as the boat

sailed out of dover, it must have been a bit choppy as when he reached us there was only beans left on his

tray.

Guys on the bus were class, i can remember one guy thought he was noel gallagher and played oasis all the

way to germany, great trip but feckin baltic.

My first trip abroad to see Rangers was belgrade v red star 90/91 i think ?, got a flight from glasgow on the day

of the game & stayed one night got pumped by a really good Red star team who went on to win the euro cup

that year, also been to Munich, PSG, Dortmund again in 99, Barca, Bruges, Stuttgart and Marseille.

I've never actually seen us lose. Shelbourne, PSV, Monaco, PSG, Pananthanaikos and Copenhangen.

Although Pana felt like a defeat as they equalised in the last minute.

i was ten trips before I seen us win away from home. Leverkusen

another of my fav trips, was not abroad but the trip to Old Trafford via Wigan, i had a great and night, was a bit wary of the bus trip with Rangers, but it was perfect, back of the bus with a carryout, tunes on, Wigan was decent, the bus trip from Wigan into Old Trafford was class, mancs looking at us thinking wots going on here, into the game and non stop sing song from start to finish, great result mafe the return journey very bearable with a thumping head, WATP