Players being played out of position

Tumshie

Richard Gough was a centre back, so no we didn't play him out of position. I can't believe I'm replying to your idiocy.

So Dundee utd, spurs and scotland all played him out of position? He was a rb for all three of those teams (and also when he first started at Ibrox)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So Dundee utd, spurs and scotland all played him out of position? He was a rb for all three of those teams (and also when he first started at Ibrox)

I couldn't give a rats arse about what he done before Rangers. He was a centre back at Rangers and a fucking good one at that. You're piss poor comparisons to then and now are getting boring, you're either at it, or just a fucking idiot. Which one is it?

I couldn't give a rats arse about what he done before Rangers. He was a centre back at Rangers and a fucking good one at that. You're piss poor comparisons to then and now are getting boring, you're either at it, or just a fucking idiot. Which one is it?

I'm an idiot who is running rings round you. :D

If what happened pre rangers is irrelevant than Peralta is a right winger and faure is as much a rb as he is a cb. Also if what happened pre rangers is irrelevant then blacks form at hearts, shiels form at killie and temps form at hearts is also irrelevant.

Spain play a CB at rb (Ramos)

Real play a left back as a winger (bale)

A winger as a cf (Ronaldo)

Gary Neville spent most of his career out of position at right back

Puyol and Messi both started their club careers out of position (rb and rw respectively)

I could go on for hours here.

You can add "and was effective" to all of them (or the correct grammatical variation for some of the sentences), whereas the guys we're playing out of position are generally not.

so he was moved out his natural position and played out of position. But I thought only McCoist done that...

McCoist persists with it when it's not working, that's the difference (que, "ah but we've won X number of games") Macleod has to be the worst example of it, one of the best players in out team last season at cm, this season played at lm and has done very little

You can add "and was effective" to all of them (or the correct grammatical variation for some of the sentences), whereas the guys we're playing out of position are generally not.

McCoist persists with it when it's not working, that's the difference (que, "ah but we've won X number of games") Macleod has to be the worst example of it, one of the best players in out team last season at cm, this season played at lm and has done very little

3.45 league goals scored and 0.4 conceded per game would say they are effective.

You want to play Macleod in the middle so who do you drop Law or Black?

Wouldn't a player know his natural long before becoming a first team pro/international?

Does that mean any player who is played out of position and finds form there has suddenly 'found' their natural position?

No some people develop attributes that make them better in a certain position. Gareth Bales ability to run with the ball made him better suited to being a left winger. It's not always about them knowing their best position but being given a chance to play there. He might not be playing for Real Madrid now if they'd kept trying to play him right back.

I think for rangers yesterday Little was played right wing becomes Ally wanted to play Shiels just off the front. It is difficult to play somebody behind the striker whilst still having two strikers.

No some people develop attributes that make them better in a certain position. Gareth Bales ability to run with the ball made him better suited to being a left winger. It's not always about them knowing their best position but being given a chance to play there. He might not be playing for Real Madrid now if they'd kept trying to play him right back.

I think for rangers yesterday Little was played right wing becomes Ally wanted to play Shiels just off the front. It is difficult to play somebody behind the striker whilst still having two strikers.

Except bales pace and ability to get by a man was evident at Southampton and at spurs when he was still played at lb. If anything it was his fairly average defensive abilities that saw him pushed further forward

Macleod is a good example, it may well be that getting him out of the mayhem of the centre, allowing more experienced players to deal with that, while playing with Wallace more closely will help him and give him passes to pick. Because Wallace is a WB, Macleod gets to come inside more anyway. Starting young midfielders in wider positions is quite a common tactic for managers (ditto young centre backs coming in at FB)

Perhaps so in the odd case but its the fact that in any given game these days half the team can be playing out of position which then affects our ability to play to our full potential.

Since there's no such thing as a natural position shall we play Little in goal next game?

How good is an outfield player if he can only play his "natural position"? For example, a central midfielder being moved to right mid.... does he automatically start falling over his own feet like a one year old because he has been moved 16 yards to the right? If so has he chosen the right profession?

I am right handed, but can open a door with my left. Most able bodied people are capable of such a feat. Most professional football papers are capable of using both of their feet with a high level of accuracy, so why is it a crime to move a player to another position when required?

Pigeon holing every player into a "natural position" makes for a very inflexible team IMO. Get a few injuries and see where 11 one trick ponies get you.

Perhaps so in the odd case but its the fact that in any given game these days half the team can be playing out of position which then affects our ability to play to our full potential.

You do have to take the players individually.

Faure is at right back because Foster has been out - it may not be Faure's best position, but hasn't been making us much worse.

McCulloch at Centre Back has not had a particularly negative impact, perhaps Cribari would be more likely to pass the ball.

I don't think Peralta is particularly out of position in Right midfield, he just has no creativity.

Macleod as discussed.

Otherwise, usually, Bell, Mohsni, Wallace, Law, Black, Daly, Clark are generally played in position.

I do understand it frustrates people, but I don't think players playing in different positions to their natural one is really an area that holds us back.

3.45 league goals scored and 0.4 conceded per game would say they are effective.

You want to play Macleod in the middle so who do you drop Law or Black?

But they're not all effective individually, macleod at left mid has wasted him this season. For me there would have been a few options, either rotate the midfield, drop Black (would have been far more justifiable at the start of the season) or play a narrow formation that accommodates 3 central midfielders. I don't have a problem with trying players in other positions but when they are not performing there they shouldn't be persisted with, if you must play the formation we do and must play the players we do why not, when Macleod struggles, try Law there or even Black which is only slightly more unlikely than MacLeod

If covering injuries and suspensions, fine. If a covering player puts in a better show than the guy he's replaced, again, fine. What I can't abide is the thoroughly negative tactic of going with defensive players in positions outside the defence. I'm thinking central and wide midfield here.

Except bales pace and ability to get by a man was evident at Southampton and at spurs when he was still played at lb. If anything it was his fairly average defensive abilities that saw him pushed further forward

Yeah you're right that he was unable to defend as well as he went forward. You couldn't then say left back is his natural position if he can't defend well.

Yeah you're right that he was unable to defend as well as he went forward. You couldn't then say left back is his natural position if he can't defend well.

Well he managed to make it as a pro and get a multi million pound move to Spurs so he wasn't that bad defensively. Just not as good as going forward. Or more importantly, not as good defensively as one of the rivals for his position.

Well he managed to make it as a pro and get a multi million pound move to Spurs so he wasn't that bad defensively. Just not as good as going forward. Or more importantly, not as good defensively as one of the rivals for his position.

He is infinetely better than BAE is in every way.

Once he started playing left wing though, you could definitely see that was his best position. Especially after the two games against Inter Milan. The reason people complain about Rangers is because nobody has really excelled or looked better in the new positions they have been put in.

Once he started playing left wing though, you could definitely see that was his best position. Especially after the two games against Inter Milan. The reason people complain about Rangers is because nobody has really excelled or looked better in the new positions they have been put in.

Real play him on the right more often than not.