An Honest Broker – Situation Vacant

quinty

Put this together as a potential article for the front page. Would appreciate any feedback.

I am, I guess like every other Rangers supporter, thoroughly fed up with the constant machinations and turmoil that is affecting my club. I admit to being more than a little confused by the Boardroom ins and outs, by the plethora of news stories (usually bad), by the constant sniping and bickering, by claim and counter claim, all inevitably prefaced by ‘in the best interests of the club’. This turmoil has dripped down to the supporters with, I believe, an increasing fracture becoming evident as the support splits into two, entrenched, opposing sides. In short; I just don’t know what to believe anymore. What I do believe though; is that the longer this goes on the worse it is going to get. I don’t see either side claiming an ultimate victory; uniting the support and marching on to a bright new future. The whole situation resembles a particularly bitter and nasty divorce. And, what I know about divorce, from personal experience, is that, usually, the only winners are the lawyers.

Increasingly, partners seeking divorce are urged to seek mediation before going to court. Mediation is also becoming increasingly popular as a means to solve serious problems and disputes within business. When problems lead to the breakdown of established relationships or escalate into the courts the consequences are soaring costs, loss of control and unwelcome publicity. Sound familiar?

So what is mediation? Simply it is a process involving the appointment of a third party neutral who enables the parties to reach mutual terms of settlement. It enables the parties to retain control over the terms of settlement. It allows the consideration of commercial and practical issues (as opposed to purely legal argument). It is a common sense and practical process structured around the interests and needs of the parties. The history of sports disputes and their negative effect on fans and team morale vividly demonstrates the need to adopt a speedy and cost effective resolution technique, such as mediation. Mediation, it seems to me, provides a forum for open communication, which is currently missing at Rangers. It would give both parties a sense of confidentiality, which can be used to strengthen their working relationship. The adoption of this technique would, I believe, be financially and emotionally rewarding to everyone involved.

A ‘third party neutral’? Where to find someone like that? The job description for such a person would specify, in no particular order:

Integrity

Experience
in professional sport, preferably football.

A trusted and respected reputation
acceptable to both sides and to the supporters.

Ability to build rapport
: (essential to building the trust needed for parties to share “their interests, priorities, fears, and weaknesses.”)

Creative
(“inventing options, acknowledging feelings, perceptions, and hurts that might otherwise block meaningful and fair resolution”

Patient
(“I am tenacious,” one mediator said. “I don’t give up. I have sat with parties who have claimed they simply don’t see a way to resolution and said, ‘Well, we’ll just sit for a while and think more on it.’ Most parties are loath to send the mediator packing, so they sit and usually think of something, especially if I occasionally throw out an idea.”)

No previous or current connection to either side of the conflict.

Immediately available

Once appointed, both sides would have to agree to put all differences aside and allow him (or her) to, well, mediate. He (or she) must be allowed complete access to all relevant information and given the remit to ask any question and be provided with the answer. He must be given full autonomy to speak to the press if, and only when, he deems necessary.

Ideally, this person, would be paid for by the supporters, in that way he would not be beholden to either side, and demonstrably independent. This would surely be a constructive and worthwhile use of the funds which many supporters wish to donate/contribute to help the club rather than give to the RST, SOS etc.

The only problem now is find the guy. Thoughts?

I think the boardroom is stable now and has no need for mediation. Mediation is required when both parties have something to gain from a compromise - I don't see what the board have to gain from compromising with the requisitioners (assuming that is the mediation you are looking for).

Continuing your divorce analogy, in this case the judge (shareholders) has ruled in favour of one party, any mediation should have been done before the court case (AGM).

We don't need this. We do need a new body which represents the entire support and for the Club to disengage with minority factional groups. Anatagonists like the Strewths need to be sent back to where they came from. That bawheid Houston is still attacking the Board and trying to maintain division within the support.

I think its a good well written, passionate article quinty - its just the timing of it which is wrong.

As others have attested we have had our AGM - and the vote has been cast - the need for mediation is now unnecessary. I doubt given the bitterness of the campaign which was waged by both sides, the victors are feeling particularly magnanimous towards the losers.

We have now to place our trust in Wallace and ask him to deliver on the promises and commitments he has made. And irrespective of the personalities involved it will always be this way so long as we have this model of ownership for our club.

I think the boardroom is stable now and has no need for mediation. Mediation is required when both parties have something to gain from a compromise - I don't see what the board have to gain from compromising with the requisitioners (assuming that is the mediation you are looking for).

Continuing your divorce analogy, in this case the judge (shareholders) has ruled in favour of one party, any mediation should have been done before the court case (AGM).

Not getting on the front page then? :(

I think its a good well written, passionate article quinty - its just the timing of it which is wrong.

As others have attested we have had our AGM - and the vote has been cast - the need for mediation is now unnecessary. I doubt given the bitterness of the campaign which was waged by both sides, the victors are feeling particularly magnanimous towards the losers.

We have now to place our trust in Wallace and ask him to deliver on the promises and commitments he has made. And irrespective of the personalities involved it will always be this way so long as we have this model of ownership for our club.

Thanks D'art, appreciate the feedback

Thanks D'art, appreciate the feedback

No problem bud - keep at it as your style of writing is particularly enjoyable - what our club & support needs are articles such as these which are fair, balanced, agenda free and which try to get at the heart of the problem rather than prove a particular factions arguments were right.

No problem bud - keep at it as your style of writing is particularly enjoyable - what our club & support needs are articles such as these which are fair, balanced, agenda free and which try to get at the heart of the problem rather than prove a particular factions arguments were right.

We know who was right and it wasn't the rebs.

I think its a decent article.

But for me there is less of a divide amongst the fans regards board issues than there is with the for / against Ally issue.

Which I also believe is widening by the day, article, and Ally quote.

Too late for mediation on that one, it looks like its all about choosing sides. Though some are trying hard still to be objective.

You still need to get on with your ex for the kids sake ;)

Not getting on the front page then? :(

Not what I meant at all - I have no problem with this going on the front page. Me not agreeing with the content of an article has never been a reason for it to be kept off the front page and never will be.

It's a well written piece, which I've passed on to the front page team. I'd imagine we'll publish it, but not really my call (tu)

Don't think we need such a person to mediate between Murray and co and the board that is finished the reqs are yesterday's news but I do agree we need somebody along those lines in the future because I think Wallace will know that Irvine and his people are not long term because there are too many want rid of him and his like. He is a devisive presence in the camp and must go. I don't think you are far wrong in this, not only in a person for this role but we are still devoid of a strong character to combat our enemies in the press, we are now what ? 30 odd days into the 120 days ? Surely some sort of an appointment should have been made to give the fans some confidence in the future and some blood on the walls of our enemies, after all they were quick enough to bloody the walls with reqs and whether you like to admit it or not they are Rangers supporters dealing with it in their own misguided way. You are not wrong quinty anything but !

If only it were that simple. Remember we have another AGM this year and, from what is appearing on some of these threads, we could well see disharmony resurrecting itself. Let's wait to see what plans Wallace comes up with - the 120 days are not yet up - and hope that unity can be achieved. If not, then I would agree that mediation may be necessary prior to the next AGM to avoid a fiasco similar to last year. Keep the faith Bears. The only way is up.