EVening Times behind Ally to stay.

donmac

But the fans fear if he stays there will be double.

Ally McCoist is everything Rangers supporters want in a manager, but an increasing number are moving towards the conclusion that he is not the man they want in that role.

McCoist's status as a legend, earned through a glittering and record-breaking playing career, is forever enshrined at Ibrox, but he is in danger of doing irreparable damage to his legacy from the dugout.

He epitomises what fans look for in a Ranger and, as an ambassador for the club and a figurehead to look up to and rally round, there are few who come close to matching him.

Yet those qualities, that loyalty from those who chant his name from the stands can only be banked on for so long and will only buy him so much time in the face of adversity.

The boos that reverberated around Easter Road, the jubilant band of Raith Rovers fans apart, in the aftermath of Sunday's Ramsdens Cup final told their own story and left the manager and his players in no uncertain terms that their performance was unacceptable.

This was a game Rangers were expected to win, had to win, but didn't win. McCoist has to shoulder his proportion of the blame, with his team selection flawed from the start and approach too one-dimensional as his side lacked creativity and nous in the final third and shot themselves in the foot with a defensive calamity late on.

Yet, not for the first time, he was let down by the men he entrusted with a blue jersey. For too long Rangers have been going through the motions, the players doing just enough to keep the condemnation muted. It caught up with them against Raith.

Few can argue about the relentless manner in which Rangers have gathered results in SPFL League One this term but it is the level of performance and style of play that has brought criticism.

It would be wrong to expect the Light Blues to sweep teams aside by four or five goals every week; that was never going to happen. But, considering the players McCoist has at his disposal, fans have been left weary at the football on show.

Rangers are not easy on the eye, they are more workmanlike than swashbuckling, with results often ground out through endeavour than won and earned with flair.

That can be tolerated when they are winning, but it is a stick to beat the manager with when things do not go to plan - like against Forfar, Stranraer, Stenhousemuir and, most crucially, on Sunday.

Defeat to Grant Murray's side is the latest in an increasingly long line of cup horror shows on McCoist's watch and the evidence is now stacking up for those looking for him to step down or be sacked.

From a Champions League qualifier defeat to Malmo just weeks after he replaced Walter Smith as boss to John Baird's extra-time winner in the capital, the sailing has been far from smooth for McCoist.

Cup exits at the hands of Queen of the South, Dundee United and Inverness Caley were bad enough last season but being dumped from the League Cup by Forfar in August and held by Albion Rovers brought the tally to nine and used up McCoist's last life in the eyes of some.

Missing out on the Ramsdens Cup was, therefore, the final straw for the growing number who have become disillusioned with McCoist the manager.

Calls for the boss and his backroom staff, assistant Kenny McDowall and coach Ian Durrant, to be sacked were made in the heat of the moment and the dust will settle ahead of Saturday's Scottish Cup semi-final with Dundee United. McCoist has been at the club long enough to know the score, he knows the standards that have been set and those that are not being met.

The cost could, and should, be severe for the players not up to scratch, but it is unlikely McCoist will have to pay the ultimate price. Rangers are now one title win away from a return to Scotland's top tier but there are no guarantees they will make it three-in-a-row at the first attempt.

As chief executive Graham Wallace finalises the details of his 120-day review into the club, he will have to plan not just for the Championship but the Premiership, with McCoist's vision for the future set to be at the heart of the blueprint.

He has a squad that needs investment but at a time when costs are likely to be cut and he still finds himself working under an unprecedented set of circumstances not experienced by any of his predecessors.

From the financially crippling Craig Whyte era to the shambolic reign of Charles Green, McCoist has had little support from above and Rangers little long-term vision as off-field distractions have continued to dominate matters.

It is hard not to have sympathy for the situation the 51-year-old finds himself in but there will come a point for fans where those feelings will run out and McCoist the manager will have to be looked at in the cold light of day.

The chances of him not taking his place in the dugout next season are remote and he deserves, for everything he has done for Rangers, the chance to return the club to the top flight.

It is then Rangers have to know whether he should stay or he should go.

Related Articles: 

EXCLUSIVE: Derek Johnstone's warning to Rangers chief Charles Green

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ally McCoist is everything i DON'T want as a manager. He seems to have no fight when his team disgraces themselves the same goes for the players he has signed / picked all season. His comments are baffling after shocking performances.

His tactics and substitutions in games are baffling and the team never seem motivated anymore.

It was the exact same story last year aswell. Our team look unfit slow and only know one way to play football punt it up to the big guy and hope he scores.

No football fan in the world wants a management team like this.

When the media and the obsessed mob from across our city want our management team to continue you know it's time to go.

Everything we want in a manager then writes this:

This was a game Rangers were expected to win, had to win, but didn't win. McCoist has to shoulder his proportion of the blame, with his team selection flawed from the start and approach too one-dimensional as his side lacked creativity and nous in the final third and shot themselves in the foot with a defensive calamity late on.

Yet, not for the first time, he was let down by the men he entrusted with a blue jersey. For too long Rangers have been going through the motions, the players doing just enough to keep the condemnation muted. It caught up with them against Raith.

He picked the team. He picked the tactics. (which have been the same for the past 3 years with no improvement).

He's let down by his favourites who he picks every week regardless of form when any other manager would drop them immediately.

One common denominator in it all is the manager I'm afraid.

McCoist has made the mistake, albeit with hindsight, to be friends with his squad. Given we were asking players to come to the 3rd division and play you can SR why he may have chosen that course, however the players have let him down and he has nowhere to go with them.

If he has no power or no options, it's time for him to move on.

McCoist has made the mistake, albeit with hindsight, to be friends with his squad. Given we were asking players to come to the 3rd division and play you can SR why he may have chosen that course, however the players have let him down and he has nowhere to go with them.

If he has no power or no options, it's time for him to move on.

Yes he has made the mistake to make friends with his squad. But I for one, and know many others on here who saw that right at the start. I supported him though because I thought he would have started to separate himself from the squad, but all he's done is put on his suit. I also stated long long ago while defending him, that McCoist and Smith were two entirely different managers/characters and therefore would require completely different supporting staff from each other. However, the management team has remained the same. So there is absolutely no way McCoist is getting what he needs from his supporting staff, in the end it's his fault for not making the changes required.

Lol everything we want in a manager

If we want an enemy loving shitebag with pish tactics maybe

On the troll again m8 ,Ally not up to the job in my opinion and i'm for change asap but no matter how frustrated you get there's no excuse for calling him a shitebag or enemy loving.I've watched Ally's Rangers career closely for over thirty years and the word Shitebag and Mccoist don't belong in the same sentence .If in some infantile rant you try to justify the word shitebag by refering to tactics then he'd not be the first manager who used whatever formation in whatever game you care to mention but if his team were half as BRAVE as he was as a player tactics would mean f*** all.The reason Ally overcame a poor start to his playing career was because he had balls and would never hide ,he has'nt got the managerial talent to match his balls but he's no "enemy loving shitebag " so away and learn that results come and go but Respect and Legends last forever .

On the troll again m8 ,Ally not up to the job in my opinion and i'm for change asap but no matter how frustrated you get there's no excuse for calling him a shitebag or enemy loving.I've watched Ally's Rangers career closely for over thirty years and the word Shitebag and Mccoist don't belong in the same sentence .If in some infantile rant you try to justify the word shitebag by refering to tactics then he'd not be the first manager who used whatever formation in whatever game you care to mention but if his team were half as BRAVE as he was as a player tactics would mean f*** all.The reason Ally overcame a poor start to his playing career was because he had balls and would never hide ,he has'nt got the managerial talent to match his balls but he's no "enemy loving shitebag " so away and learn that results come and go but Respect and Legends last forever .

I'm not talking about him as a player

Enemy loving shite bag is apt and I can back up EVERY word - you can't

Simple as that

Ally has used up all his fans goodwill.

The roof will fall in on him when we get beat on Saturday.

Dave King could chip in a £100m kitty for players and we'd still struggle next year.

Ally could turn Messi into Rothen in a fortnight.

Its time to move on in a mire positive direction without Ally. He had his chance to mix Youth with experience and he blew it big time. We might be sitting top of the league un beaten but the style of play his team selection and substitute's are beyond belief. At the end of the day we can't all be wrong ?

"From the financially crippling Craig Whyte era to the shambolic reign of Charles Green, McCoist has had little support from above and Rangers little long-term vision as off-field distractions have continued to dominate matters.

It is hard not to have sympathy for the situation the 51-year-old finds himself in but there will come a point for fans where those feelings will run out and McCoist the manager will have to be looked at in the cold light of day.

The chances of him not taking his place in the dugout next season are remote and he deserves, for everything he has done for Rangers, the chance to return the club to the top flight.

It is then Rangers have to know whether he should stay or he should go."

For me that is my overriding view in spite of my anxieties

It's actually a very well measured article. Is it defending mccoist? No, it mostly reflects the thoughts of the majority of fans. I think that reflection is accurate. He's on a shaky nail - no doubt about it. The fans by protests and non attendance is what will force him out. He's a busted flush and its simply now a matter of time.

I'm not talking about him as a player

Enemy loving shite bag is apt and I can back up EVERY word - you can't

Simple as that

I should know better than to reply to you but here goes I was refering to Ally the person not manager or player and it's important he gets the respect he's due as a person and i'm sure if he read your insults he'd take it personally.With regards to enemy loving i'm pretty sure a beer with yellow teeth does'nt qualify him as enemy loving but we should also remember Ally is the Rangers manager and in acting in that capacity he may have to dine with the devil or hit a few golf balls with the dark side but that still does'nt make him an enemy lover.