Scouting system, or lack of it.

gersandy

Why has this not been addressed yet?

I was reading in the daily rebel that the manky mob are giving a trial to some benfica youngster. While were making do with signing up tried and tested players.

It seems like everyone around is building up for the future.

A good scouting network will take time to flourish, however the fact we still don't have a head scout is concerning. At other clubs is it the manager or the CEO that decides who's best for the job? I don't think an ex Scottish rangers player would be a good choice as its likely we'll end up with more kick n rush type players.

Maybe things don't just happen overnight and take time to put into place with first step actually appointing a suitable person to oversee this development.

They don't seem to happen over weeks or months either.

ive said it before elsewhere, while a proper scouting network is vital (can be argued that we never had a proper one, not for a decade anyway) what harm can it do to send the likes of durrant and mcdowell to games when we arent playing (we usually end up on TV in a different time slot from the rest of scottish football) and keep an eye on any young players we have seen play against us

surely we dont need all 3 of the management team at a home game against a part time team

its not the ideal option but its a short term fix that could maybe spot a talent or 2 that we can get for nothing

I wonder if a Director of Football is still on the cards after the apparent showdown with Wallace/McCoist.

I was hoping for Nerlinger, but i am coming to the realization that we may have to settle for a Gordon Smith type of person. :P

I wonder if a Director of Football is still on the cards after the apparent showdown with Wallace/McCoist.

I was hoping for Nerlinger, but i am coming to the realization that we may have to settle for a Gordon Smith type of person. :P

Yeah - it's all gone quiet on that front, I'm hoping we get someone in soon who has the capacity, knowledge and backing to sort out a scouting system. It doesn't need to be at a Dortmund or a Ajax standard right off the bat, that'll take a years to even get close, we just need to identify players who have potential, the players we sign tend to improve us, but don't actually make us any money or grow into superstars in the long run. Instead of the additions of Daly, Foster, Faure and Simo, a decent scout would have found suitable alternatives at better prices and a better potential sell on value.

These things take time but this has to be our priority (tu)

They are very much aware of the need for a scouting team, I do believe that Nerlinger's appointment is still on the cards.

Would be the first step in adopting a more modern / continental approach.

Maybe things don't just happen overnight and take time to put into place with first step actually appointing a suitable person to oversee this development.

It seems as if this problem was identified as far back as 2012.

Someones mentioned it before. But i'd like to see a more continental style of youth. Although we'll still rely heavily on bringing in talent from the uk, i want to see the net cast further afield.

Look at the quality of Delofeou from Barcelona.

The entire structure of the club right now is focused on the short term.

A scouting department seems to be low on the prorities, even though it was mentioned in the business review "preview"

The entire structure of the club right now is focusd on the short term.

A scouting department seems to be low on the prorities, even though it was mentioned in the business review "preview"

After relagation to division 3, the managers priorities should've been;

1. Get through the divisions as quick as possible.

2. Bring through youth, or sign the best 14/15/16 year olds in scotland. With a view of giving them game time ASAP as the embargo banned us from signing players over 17.

3. Going on a cup run.

A scouting system should've been top of the boards list of things to get in place.

(tu)

Murray left the club in April 2013. This is now July 2014.

I suspect it's down to a lack of money as much as anything else, but it's an area that needs to be addressed soon.

And how long has it been since the actual review when everything including the finances were being looked at, and surprise surprise not long after the review they look at the possibility of a DoF who would probably be spearheading such an operation.