Did we take the hit in exchange for 3 years in wilderness?

bunter

After today's news that there's going to be another appeal from HMRC it's clear that this case is going to roll on towards the 3 year anniversaries for admin and later liquidation. Does anyone think that Murray and/or Whyte have just gone "fuck it" and, taken the hit for 3 years in the wilderness to get rid of the implications of the tax case?

Did Murray set us up for a fall to protect his own interests ?

Hmmmm. If so it is amazing how well organised the other suspects in the hatchet job were. Did they see it coming and were ready ? Or did they simply take advantage of the situation.

Hopefully the truth will out, and hopefully sooner rather than later. I still suspect that the real jokers in the pack will be outed eventually. But like most scandals of the last 30-40 years certain individuals in the government, sports and media "establishments" will be limiting the potential damage to themselves for quite some time.

I hate DM like a passion but he had a choice .Sell us or lose everything ,his business and untold humiliation for his family .He took the first option but the question will always be there .Was he aware that Whyte would be the Scorpion in business terms and fuck us all up

It looks as if Whyte was just a well paid puppet in Murray's plan. The fall guy. Going backwards was the only way forward for the club. Why else would Whyte stop paying PAYE? This just accelerated his end game. He probably made a shitload of money for very little work. It will all backfire if anything end up in jail for whatever reason but this was a risk they all felt the could take. A gamble.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone on the inside of HMRC told Murray/Whyte that the appeals will never stop. The whole thing is as corrupt as can be. Remember it was Whyte who came out and said they'd "appeal, appeal, and appeal again"? Why did he say that? How did he know?? Funny how the EBT's stopped just before Whyte arrived as well.

"Whyte revealed Rangers face a potential £75million bill over payments paid into Employee Benefit Trusts, which began in 2001 and ended before Whyte assumed control from Sir David Murray in May last year. And he feels the determination of HMRC to "appeal, appeal and appeal again" would leave them with no prospect of facing a huge outlay."

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/302092/Whyte-makes-case-for-administration

Did Murray set us up for a fall to protect his own interests ?

Hmmmm. If so it is amazing how well organised the other suspects in the hatchet job were. Did they see it coming and were ready ? Or did they simply take advantage of the situation.

Hopefully the truth will out, and hopefully sooner rather than later. I still suspect that the real jokers in the pack will be outed eventually. But like most scandals of the last 30-40 years certain individuals in the government, sports and media "establishments" will be limiting the potential damage to themselves for quite some time.

I hate DM like a passion but he had a choice .Sell us or lose everything ,his business and untold humiliation for his family .He took the first option but the question will always be there .Was he aware that Whyte would be the Scorpion in business terms and fuck us all up

In simple terms - YES

Basically they're sandbagging the chances of a full and proper investigation of their own handling of his case. No doubt they are also having a look at the possibility of grabbing the £25m the has supposedly been won by BDO from Collyer Bristow or whatever they're called.

These appeals are not very appealing. I really dont see any reason to exhaust the process when any returns will not be forthcoming

The result sets a precedent for lots of other EBT cases where they could get a lot of money.

I realize that double-jeopardy does not apply in this case as they are 'appealing' against points of law. But surely there must be some limit to the number of 'bites at the cherry' they can get away with.

Why is no-one in government questioning the costs associated with this whole case? Surely when the costs far outweigh any possible financial benefits the action should be dropped. How much money has HMRC actually spent in pursuit of Rangers???

What effect did the countless millions lost by being pumped out of every cup/europe have.

Feck all is the answer.......

Rangers were placed into administration cause Whyte withheld PAYE/NI from the minute he walked in the door. Unless mystic meg Whyte knew months before hand that Rangers were going to lose these European ties your point is foolish.

Suppose losing the European games gave him an excuse to sell the Arsenal shares as well in your eyes?

Feck all is the answer.......

Rangers were placed into administration cause Whyte withheld PAYE/NI from the minute he walked in the door.

Of all the issues that need to be clarified this is the most crucial.

Who knew that Rangers were not paying tax & NI and what did they do, or not do, about it?

Rangers employees should also be included as I very much doubt that Whyte opened all mail from HMRC, calculated and processed salary payments and reconciled the bank accounts. Finance staff at Ibrox must have known what was going on and instead of blowing the whistle to save the club and inform the fans they did nothing and that makes them as culpable as any other party in this shambles.

Of all the issues that need to be clarified this is the most crucial.

Who knew that Rangers were not paying tax & NI and what did they do, or not do, about it?

Rangers employees should also be included as I very much doubt that Whyte opened all mail from HMRC, calculated and processed salary payments and reconciled the bank accounts. Finance staff at Ibrox must have known what was going on and instead of blowing the whistle to save the club and inform the fans they did nothing and that makes them as culpable as any other party in this shambles.

Good point without knowing the inner workings of Rangers finance dept I would guess Whyte brought in his own people to perform the dirty work. Can't believe that the people who worked at Rangers for years would do such a thing.

As for HMRC they sat back and let Whyte run up a huge debt while at the same time they gave Hearts a winding up order for non payment after one month.

We really have been stitched up big time.