Jim Murphy MP, Old Firm history & sectarianism

OlegKuznetsov

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oleg good OP. One of the names that jumped out to 'this old rocker' was Archie Kyle (1904–1908) the grandfather of one of the best (some may say the best) rockers that Scotland ever produced..... Brigton's own Frankie Miller.

Conveniently overlooked in the religion in football debate is that there was no religious discrimination in Scottish football until three clubs, the beasts from the east (Glasgow), Hivees (Edinburgh) and Dundee Hivees were established in Scotland's three major cities for the sole-intent of pandering to the Irish catholic community. Therein sectarianism in Scottish football was born.

Agree totally.Tommy Burns never displayed any nastiness to our club and when you compare him to Lennon you see how far selltic have fallen in pandering to the 'bigots' at the club.Tommy Burns would not have tolerated it.Maybe mutual grudging respect died with Mr Burns.He was certainly a good man.

Oh FFS dont talk pish

Agree totally.Tommy Burns never displayed any nastiness to our club and when you compare him to Lennon you see how far selltic have fallen in pandering to the 'bigots' at the club.Tommy Burns would not have tolerated it.Maybe mutual grudging respect died with Mr Burns.He was certainly a good man.

Huge admirer of Mr Burns even though he does on occasion treat Homer badly.

Tommy Burns a bigotted cunt of a man just a lot flier than TLB but both cut from the same cloth.

Huge admirer of Mr Burns even though he does on occasion treat Homer badly.

Tommy Burns a bigotted cunt of a man just a lot flier than TLB but both cut from the same cloth.

100% 'siddiqi_drinker'

What a soft bellied support we have become :(

Very interesting post. Although I knew about Kitchenbrand there were a few names that were new to me and who knows, there may have been many more on the books that were no where near the first team.

I have often wondered about a player from the 1970s, Alex O'Hara. Certainly his name would suggest Irish roots but I see he wasn't mentioned in your list Oleg. His name has always stood out on old team sheets and wonder what his story is.

Smashing article with info that needs to be spread to a wider audience.

Alex O'Hara was a Protestant from castlemilk.

Off-topic a wee bit, but to add some more on this one, O'Hara came to Rangers via Glasgow United. It was a junior amateur side set-up by a legendary coach and scout named Sam Beck. My Great-Uncle Jimmy Jack was club secretary and a coach. Alex McDonald and Kenny Dalglish came through the same club. They developed a fair few small, skillful players that the big clubs weren't interested in at first.

O'Hara went on to captain Partick Thistle after leaving Rangers.

I remember reading a similar thing in a book in my teens.

It was pretty common knowledge at that time that we 'adopted' an unofficial policy to appease demands of the fans,more retaliatory than initiative.

As Selltics own propaganda states 'we were founded etc etc and open to SUPPORTERS of all faiths'.

Selltic could only play Catholics originally.

Persistent rumours state that Brother Walfrid contacted the Vatican to ask for 'dispensation' to allow Protestants to play because they had a very limited population to chose from and were hindered by the Catholic only rules.

The Vatican allowed a dispensation of 3 Protestants only and no Jews at all.

Odd that the Catholic UEFA should arrive at the same restrictions many years later.

Good post. Some new information for me there.

Walfrid was largely motivated by the fear of losing his flock:

Brother Walfrid said: ''Twas the most dangersome time for the young fellos, jest afther they had left school, an' begun t' mix up wid Protestand boys in the places where they wor workin'.'

One of their first official club documents outlines the aim of an exclusively Catholic club:

His Grace the Archbishop of Glasgow and the Clergy of St. Mary's, Sacred Heart and St. Michael's Missions, and the principle Catholic laymen of the East End

The above club was formed in November 1887 by a number of the Catholics of the East End of the City.

The main objective of the club is to supply the East End conferences of the St. Vincent De Paul Society with funds for the maintenence of the "Dinner Tables" of our needy children in the Missions of St Mary's, Sacred Heart, and St. Michael's. Many cases of sheer poverty are left unaided through lack of means. It is therefore with this principle object that we have set afloat the "Celtic", and we invite you as one of our ever-ready friends to assist in putting our new Park in proper working order for the coming football season.

We have already several of the leading Catholic football players of the West of Scotland on our membership list. They have most thoughtfully offered to assist in the good work.

We are fully aware that the "elite" of football players belong to this City and suburbs, and we know that from there we can select a team which will be able to do credit to the Catholics of the West of Scotland as the Hibernians have been doing in the East.

Again, there is also the desire to have a large recreation ground where our Catholic young men will be able to enjoy the various sports which will build them up physically, and we feel sure we will have many supporters with us in this laudable object.

Hibernian at that time were also exclusively Catholic and Walfrid basically stole their first team.

Jim Murphy is a self serving careerist politician who will side with any cause he thinks will bring him publicity. I've heard him condemn nuclear weapons and then pose for photo's holding a model trident submarine, he has attempted to show he's a supporter of another club and then pose in a rangers top. He will go with the flow and is not to be trusted.

If Jim Murphy wants Rangers treated fairly what is preventing him from tabling a question in parliament regarding the HMRC obsession with Rangers, the money being spent on appeals and the leaks from within aforesaid HMRC to certain taig journalists. C'mon Jim let's see some of your impartiality.

I need to give him credit for his 100 towns tour and promoting the no campaign but he was out of order for his comments regarding the Orange.

Whilst agreeing with your latter point, I think his comment on the Orange Order may have been through political expediency at the present time. Knowing how much the OO have been vilified by the media and political classes over the last number of years, he would probably have seen it as a negative to the no campaign to be seen to have their support.

As a definite No voter who is concerned how close the polls have become, I must say I am slightly worried that the proposed OO demonstration/ gathering in a couple of weeks may be hijacked by the nationalists causing trouble on the day with the certainty that, as always, the OO will be the ones who get castigated in the media for it.

Whilst agreeing with your latter point, I think his comment on the Orange Order may have been through political expediency at the present time. Knowing how much the OO have been vilified by the media and political classes over the last number of years, he would probably have seen it as a negative to the no campaign to be seen to have their support.

As a definite No voter who is concerned how close the polls have become, I must say I am slightly worried that the proposed OO demonstration/ gathering in a couple of weeks may be hijacked by the nationalists causing trouble on the day with the certainty that, as always, the OO will be the ones who get castigated in the media for it.

Agreed - it's a propaganda bombscare waiting to happen

In this Credo documentary, below, from 1980ish, they are not kind to us, but it also contains information relating to the fact that within 4 years of its founding the charitable aims of their club were completely abandoned as they sought success on the pitch and on the balance sheet.More importantly, it also states that it was around the same time that they started to sign players from outside the Catholic religion, thus indicating a barrier until that point, which was only removed in order to pursue success, as it was a huge limiting factor for them. You can see this from around 8:00 minute mark.

The Church of Scotland's criticism can be seen as a deflection, as they were historically the main movers of the fear of Irish Catholic immigration, stating in 1923 that "Glasgow has ceased to be a Scottish city. It is very largely an Irish city at the present time" and that the new arrivals "cannot be assimilated into the Scottish race" as it went on to ring the alarm bells.

The Church apologised 80 years later in 2003.

I suspect their criticism of us was indeed a deflection from that part of its history, as stated by the Reverend James Currie in the 80s .

Jim Murphy is after votes, he wants to be all things to all men, he holds a seat that was in times past solid Unionist and Tory so yes he'll say kind things about Rangers but he's nailed his septic colours to the mast and that is always a bad idea in Glasgow.

Fair play to him though he's prepared to go and fight for his job in a Unionist Parliament

Here's a reminder of a not too distant example of their double standards on sectarianism, as O'Neill avoids the question at the same time he was putting the boot into us. In fact, around the same time at a UEFA press conference in Barcelona, he used the forum to peddle propaganda against us.

So it's interesting and informative to watch him squirm when the tables are turned.

Here's a wee interesting thought - while some are looking at all the links to support the Rangers - British identity thing, we do have a whole Rangers - Scottish identity as well, not least the fact we were the cornerstone of the national teams support for many a decade.

Here's a wee interesting thought - while some are looking at all the links to support the Rangers - British identity thing, we do have a whole Rangers - Scottish identity as well, not least the fact we were the cornerstone of the national teams support for many a decade.

Yes. It was very much a case of the Scottish club vs the Irish club for a period.

I think I'm gonny vomit

Murphy is one of the Opus Mafia who sense that power over the British monarchy is within their grasp

An independent Scotland will hamper their ambitions on that front so of course he will be against it

His rant about Orange parades exposed him for the bigot he is

They are after the crown, don't be fooled by them

I think independence would be a step towards a catholic monarch in Scotland.