What has changed?

Jack The Flipper

I don't really understand why there has been a large shift away from Billy Davies as our next manager. Yes I do know there were a few on here that didn't want to go near the man, but there was a hell of a lot of support for him Pre-Ally, now it's Post-Ally things have changed.

There really hasn't been any more information released about him, his shortcomings were already in the public domain, so what is it now that makes you think he shouldn't be the next manager of Rangers?

Is it just a case of while McCoist was in charge ANYONE would do, but now it's actually happened you think we could do better?

A similar thing seems to have happened with regard to McCall, a while back I was one of the few who thought he would be a good replacement, now Ally has left there seems to be far more support for McCall than there was before. Is this the tempering of expectations?

Just interested to know the thought process behind the changing of opinion towards these two candidates.

It's not just wishful thinking anymore, our next appointment will be extremely influential in the short to medium term and actually requires some serious thought rather than the, "anyone but Ally" mantra.

Agreed, the next manager could see us move into the premiership or stay in this league, the repercussions are huge.

I think a lot of people have simply gone away and done a bit of research on Davies and that's what's swayed opinion away from him.

As for McCall, I think people are just being more realistic about the grave situation that we are in and him shooting up people's list as a potential manager is reflective of that.

I think a lot of people have simply gone away and done a bit of research on Davies and that's what's swayed opinion away from him.

As for McCall, I think people are just being more realistic about the grave situation that we are in and him shooting up people's list as a potential manager is reflective of that.

So in general it looks like folk were championing Davies out of very little knowledge of him? The situation is getting more weird by the minute.

I find it quite funny with regard to McCall, I wanted him a few months ago, but now I really don't think he's the man for the job. Which is completely contrary to the shift in opinion on him. My thoughts are he doesn't seem to have the ability to kick under-performing players up the arse which is exactly what we need. Most of our players seem to be here for the money and are on too high wages, could a softly spoken McCall really deal with this situation? I doubt it.

So in general it looks like folk were championing Davies out of very little knowledge of him? The situation is getting more weird by the minute.

I find it quite funny with regard to McCall, I wanted him a few months ago, but now I really don't think he's the man for the job. Which is completely contrary to the shift in opinion on him. My thoughts are he doesn't seem to have the ability to kick under-performing players up the arse which is exactly what we need. Most of our players seem to be here for the money and are on too high wages, could a softly spoken McCall really deal with this situation? I doubt it.

I do think people were so anti McCoist at the end that they were championing just about anybody for the job so that's what it looks like RE Davies.

As for McCall I think he's the best candidate being spoken about but I'm not sure that makes him right either mainly for the reasons you've mentioned but if push came to shove he'd be my pick.

In all honesty I'm not sure who would could get who are going to give us what I think we need just now.

I don't think this thread started by a Forest fan has helped.

http://forum.rangers...howtopic=277302

C&P of OP if you can't be arsed clicking the link.

So we see that Davies is in line to take your manager's role should McCoist depart. As a Forest fan who has sat through two of his tenures, I can only warn against the dangers that come with the management of arguably the worst man in football.

One thing you may find is that a lot of Forest fans still wax lyrical about his time with the club but this has been significantly reduced after his second spell. He went from the messiah to a pariah in a little under a year after a comically tyrannical period where we overspent but underachieved whilst severing all ties with the academy and media and firing everyone who dared question him.

It's said you judge a man by the company he keeps, and this says the world about his character. Billy's first act when he returned was to bring in his cousin James Price as director. Now, 'Jimbo' had recently been disbarred from the legal profession and was therefore ineligible to act as a director at a football club. They frequently tweeted about the work James was doing for the club, but when questioned it was all denied... Within six months they'd fired so many staff members that we had literally no scouting system in place, a mere handful of 'his' coaches and had there were no active links between the senior team and the academy.

During all this he managed to become the only part-time manager in the football league. Unbelievably, he'd only spend 3 days a week in Nottingham. For the rest of the week he retired back to Glasgow (not once did he move here) and whilst he claimed to be spending the time doing 'video research', our inevitable late-season fall suggested that not a lot was being done.

That, as with most things was all propaganda. They were the kings of open speech on social media when the going was good, but were nowhere to be seen when we weren't winning. In reality, even during the good times it was only hate and self-fulfilling bile they peddled. Check out the frankly incredible Twitter timeline of Price himself (@Jimbo519242) to see what we mean. Through this they promoted their 'unfinished business' agenda and it quickly became clear that it had nothing to do with righting any on-field failures but more to do with settling old scores with people who scorned them during the first tenure. They picked needless fights with some of the best and most genuine people in Nottingham football, banning both the Nottingham Post and Radio Nottingham from the club as much as contractually possible. As a club we became the enemy of the everyone we mixed with and it was quite literally us against them in every part of the game.

It wasn't just professional relationships they destroyed. You may have seen that Forest have fell into trouble with FFP this week and we're now under a transfer embargo. This is partly down to our enthusiastic but slightly naive owner, but mostly down to gruesome twosome's cavalier attitude that FFP would 'never stand up'. Well, here we are, he's gone and we're feeling the effects of his excess. We were seemingly in financial trouble every week, we had unpaid invoices piling up around us and nothing was getting paid... Be it transfer installments, loan fees, even catering bills... nothing got paid on time. We weren't short of cash, they'd just not hired somebody to do it.

Not to say that it was all bad in fairness, on the pitch at least. The football his teams play is attractive enough and the highs are pretty high. We put 5 past both Derby and Leicester at home and when we won 3-1 at WBA in 2009/10 it was as good as we've known it lately. His team didn't follow it through though. His emotion-led 'us v them' system runs out of steam in February and it's not pretty from that point. You go 10 unbeaten and then don't win in 11. There's a reason his longest tenure at a club has been

To all those thinking this is just typical bad feeling towards an ex-manager, we've had failures before. David Platt, Gary Megson and Steve McClaren have all been and gone (with weaker results) and I hold no particular ill will towards them. All in all, it says the world that the only club that took Davies back after he was fired by Forest....was Forest, and only then after the previous chairman had died and the CEO had moved on. He was brought back a desperate owner who needed a positive appointment and knew he would be guaranteed good PR if Davies came in. They fired out positive propaganda about how Davies would be 'our Ferguson'. Despite this, 10 months later he's out of a job again.

To summarise, Billy Davies is is a cancer that eats away at all that is good the longer it's left unchecked, a parasite who leaves every club in a worse position than he found it and you'd be well advised to keep a wide berth of him and his entire circus. I don't know where Ally McCoist's problems lay but he will seem like paradise to Davies when everything inevitably comes crumbling down.

As predicted on another thread, the board have went with the cheapest option. In this case no extra cost for the club as Ally is still taking a wage. Untill there is an agreement with Ally reference settlement then there will be no new gaffer. That why McDowall has been given the job untill the end of season or beyond. The beyond means when Ally's contract is finally up

I don't think this thread started by a Forest fan has helped.

http://forum.rangers...howtopic=277302

C&P of OP if you can't be arsed clicking the link.

I read that one, and understand you might be right with regard to changing minds, but again it's one fans opinion. Imagine what it would be like on the forest forum if Ally was in line for a management position over there? How many of us would be over there warning them, quite a few I'd imagine!

This video is worth a watch if you haven't seen it. It's about Billy Davies attention to detail at Forest.

A lot of the problem there was his refusal to move house to the area.

Good video. I'd take him in a minute. I have no doubt that he'd give our players the kick up the arse that they need!

Davies reminds me of Neil Lennon - argumentative, confrontational, has a poor temperament & tried to play his paranoia off as a siege mentality.

If he ends up with the job I'll give him a chance, but I'm not sure if want somebody like that mangling us, especially in our current sitiation.

I'm willing to give anyone a chance after that last farce, even McDowall.

I do fear any sort of improvement by whoever gets the job permanently, will be lauded more so than normal, even if the improvement is little.

Expectations have lowered since McCoist, it shouldn't mean we should settle for less however.

"Billy Davies is a Govan man like myself. Our fathers worked together in the Fairfield shipyard.

"I've watched his career and there's no doubt he has proved himself as a manager."

- Sir Alex Ferguson

Craig Brown

"Billy is outstanding as a football manager.

"England has been a hard shift for a lot of managers from Scotland, they have found it difficult but Billy has been successful.

"He has proven himself to be able to manage at the top level. He has managed Preston, Derby and Nottingham Forest and on every occasion he has been successful.

"Billy is excellent on the training ground, in team meetings, in the dressing (room) and his knowledge of the game - I have the highest regards for him as a football exponent."

The bitter Forrest fan admits in his post that some fans still wax lyrical about his time with the club.

I'm willing to give anyone a chance after that last farce, even McDowall.

I do fear any sort of improvement by whoever gets the job permanently, will be lauded more so than normal, even if the improvement is little.

Expectations have lowered since McCoist, it shouldn't mean we should settle for less however.

This was one of the most destructive things when McCoist was in charge, the acceptance of mediocrity. Our philosophy of never compromising and trying to be the best no matter what hurdles lay in our way is what has made us who we are. The quicker we get in touch with who we once were, the easier it will be to repair the wound that has been created by so many fuck ups from the very lowest level to the highest level in our club.

"Billy Davies is a Govan man like myself. Our fathers worked together in the Fairfield shipyard.

"I've watched his career and there's no doubt he has proved himself as a manager."

- Sir Alex Ferguson

Craig Brown

"England has been a hard shift for a lot of managers from Scotland, they have found it difficult but Billy has been successful.

"He has proven himself to be able to manage at the top level. He has managed Preston, Derby and Nottingham Forest and on every occasion he has been successful.

"Billy is excellent on the training ground, in team meetings, in the dressing (room) and his knowledge of the game - I have the highest regards for him as a football exponent."

The bitter Forrest fan admits in his post that some fans still wax lyrical about his time with the club.

Billy's pal's would say that...

- Sir Alex Ferguson

Craig Brown

Exactly, are we really going to allow the post of one Forest fan on here to change our view of a possible contender for our next manager? I would hope as fans we should consider things with a degree of thoughtfulness instead of having any knee-jerk reactions. This appointment is critical.

Like I have said, the information regarding Davies's "quirks" have been in the media domain for a long time.