Rangers/chelsea Merchandise

gers08

BLUES BROTHERS – The History

1. As far back as I can remember I was bumping into Rangers fans who were down south supporting Chelsea, definitely in the 60’s, but growing in the 70’s. There were even some out in Athens in 1971 at the Cup Winners Cup Final and I met up with some of them again at the Rangers game in Barcelona the next year. Some trace the association of the 2 clubs back to the origins of the club and it first manager, who, with his Rangers background, got some old Rangers shirts as the clubs first kit. Others trace it to the same colours and similar badges. Others to some of the Chelsea players who had strong Rangers connections, examples being Charlie Cooke, who was an out and out ‘Bear’ and, later, Jon Spencer who would “never eat greens on a match day”! Whilst there are some ‘pure football’ reasons there is no doubt that there are other ‘background’ factors

2. In the sixties it became fashionable at English games to chant Rangers or Celtic during the half time interval on the terraces. Sounds crass, but true! At Chelsea this was heavily steered towards Rangers even then. I think it was to do with the disproportionate amount of serving and ex servicemen (and their patriotic leanings) who frequented Chelsea. Remembering also that the old nickname was the 'Pensioners' referring to the proximity of the Old Serviceman’s home near the ground. They still receive a number of complimentary tickets even today and they can be seen in attendance resplendent in their red regalia.

3. The seventies saw a dramatic shift towards the Rangers allegiance. This was definitely due to the IRA bombing campaign in London and North Surrey, from where Chelsea drew the bulk of its support. The Guildford bombing and its fatalities in particular signalled an outcry against the IRA and anything associated with it. Many of us knew of someone injured or killed that night, myself included, with a friend whose only crime was to be in the TA and having a drink with some Army mates. Celtic fans were seen as sympathetic to the republican cause and the IRA. Overnight any Celtic chants disappeared.

4. There is however no doubt that the Chelsea fanbase 'bias' towards anything ‘Loyalist’ come 'Unionist' was also to do with right wing links which grew and which became more evident and visible in the later 70's with the growth of the NF, with Chelsea being a known recruiting ground. Nothing to be proud of, but a fact and factor nonetheless.

5. The late 70’s and 80’s were described as the dark days of Chelsea FC when the hooligan element dominated the headlines. At least 2 of the Chelsea 'firms' at the time had their 'leadership' drawn from ex-servicemen, whom had served in Ulster. This strengthened the anti IRA, anti Celtic feelings even further. Many of the ex-servicemen had formed personal relationships with Ulster Loyalists and also Rangers supporters serving in various parts of the world at the time. Before it became fashionable (and when it still had dangers), there were groups of Chelsea fans who visited Belfast for the 12th July march. Chubby H also arranged a protest march to Westminster (‘Chelsea Fans Say NO’) at the time of the Northern Ireland vote. Some 300 marched including some Rangers and Linfield fans.

6. Meanwhile these 'friendships' between Chelsea and Rangers ex-servicemen developed into them (and ever expanding groups of mates) attending Chelsea and Rangers games together, sometimes for 'positive' reasons (have a beer, a sing song and a laugh) and sometimes, admittedly, for 'less positive' reasons (i.e. 'assists' such as a trip to visit the Aberdeen Casuals in the late 80’s). Again, nothing to be proud of there, but a fact nonetheless and a factor in the 'bonding' that was taking place between many Chelsea fans and their Rangers counterparts at the time.

7. With the ban on English clubs playing in Europe in the 80's, many more Chelsea fans started travelling with Rangers in Europe, some admittedly for the wrong reasons but the majority for the camaraderie that was now growing between the fan groups. The fanbase at the Jolly Malster pub, just off the Fulham Road would arrange trips to Europe and sometimes to Rangers home games. The pub became a meeting place for Chelsea and Rangers fans, and until the recent pub ‘upgrade’ it still did. There were 50 or 60 Rangers fans there when Chelsea played Celtic in a pre-season "friendly" in August 2006. (That’s another story by the way!)

8. A number of milestones stick out in my memory. Firstly the 2 friendlies in the early 1980’s. The first at Stamford Bridge in aid of the Bradford Disaster, when it was party time in the Fulham Road before and after and when the Shed end cheered every Rangers goal and the Rangers fans the Chelsea goals! The second at Ibrox in what I think was the following year, (and the floodlights failed for a period!) and when it was almost impossible to buy a drink in the pubs due to the generosity of the Rangers fans.

9. There is no doubt that the Bradford Disaster game was a major stepping stone in what became known as the Blues Brothers concept and the attendance in greater numbers at each other’s games. Chelsea/Rangers hats and scarves became commonplace at Stamford Bridge and the Blues Brothers fanzine was born. At this time the Linfield connection joined into the Blues Brothers fraternity as reflected in the fanzine. The Rangers & Linfield connection was already there but the Chelsea Linfield one definitely grew from the Chelsea servicemen out there and the attendance at the 12th July marches. The fanzine ‘completed the circle’

10. Another set of milestones in my memory were the sheer number of Rangers supporters that attended many northern based league games in the 1980’s and early 1990’s, before all ticket matches and lower away fan ticket allocations made it more difficult. A game at Liverpool in particular, (1985 I think, but may be wrong) when an estimated 2000 Rangers fans travelled to Anfield for a Saturday morning kick off. After the local police worked it out, we shared the visitors terracing together for a memorable morning of singing and chanting together. Having kept us all back in the ground for an hour afterwards, the roads were cleared and some of us shared a few beers together in the pubs on the route back to the Rangers buses. Another would be at Everton when large numbers of Rangers turned up. But for many years there were hundreds of Rangers at Chelsea games when the Gers were not playing themselves that day. And still are! Sunderland, Blackburn, Everton (league cup) etc etc in the past few years.

11. There is still a stand outside Chelsea’s ground now (near the Methodist Church!) that sells many joint Chelsea/Rangers and Chelsea/Rangers/Linfield merchandise and a whole range of Blues Brothers metal badges are on sale in several pubs. These were seen in abundance in Barcelona a few seasons back when loads of Chelsea and Rangers fans met up in Barcelona on the day before the respective Euro matches in Spain. The massive 'Blues Brothers' ‘Chelsea, Rangers and Linfield’ flag was hoisted in the centre of the main road in Barcelona! A great time was had by all before heading off to our respective matches (and defeats!)

12. The heyday of the Blues Brothers may be over and never again may we see the attendance in such large numbers at each other’s games, but the memories are something for many of us to treasure. It is easy to understand why younger supporters cannot understand the relationship (and why should they?) and why some, and particularly younger Rangers supporters, will hold animosity towards Chelsea given their ‘external’ funding and overpaid players. And times are changing at the Bridge too. The new influx of prawn sandwich supporters know nothing of our fanbase history and few of the Blues Brothers connection. They are feasting purely on match results, but are poorer for it in my opinion. For those of us who lived through those great years we are richer for it and the bond is there forever.
GSTQ
BROTHERS IN BLUE – FOREVER!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly cringe when I hear this blues brothers pish, just gloryhunting. Like the tims with every team they play in Europe. Chelsea's history is nothing compared with us until they were bought by some billionaire, no mark club with no mark fans that should have no association with Rangers.

Considering the link between both supporters started in the eighties when we were both shite it's hardly glory hunting.

Honestly cringe when I hear this blues brothers pish, just gloryhunting. Like the tims with every team they play in Europe. Chelsea's history is nothing compared with us until they were bought by some billionaire, no mark club with no mark fans that should have no association with Rangers.

well there is an association there because the reason Chelsea play in blue is because they had no strips and rangers gave them their first ever strips so there u go

I was at Anfield for Liverpool Chelsea in the 80's. We were out the cup so had a free week & our bus went down. Standing in the que for the Kop, a mounted Police asked if we were Scottish (Rangers scarves on) and sent us to our own turnstile. All you could hear on the way in was the billy boys full pelt. We ended up in the away corner between Chelsea & Liverpool. At least 2000 bears giving it loads for the whole game & after. I had the impression that in the beginning some Chelsea weren't sure about us but it wasn't long before they joined in & there was no problems. Great memories

Aye because it all started when Abramovich took over.

Chelsea were the first English club that I really took an interest in. Was back in the days under Hoddle and Gullit with Zola, Vialli, Poyet etc. loved the way they played football and was before I even knew of any connections between Rangers and Chelsea fans.

I actually don't like them as much now as I did pre Abramovich but live round the corner from Stamford Bridge and am a Chelsea member so go to games every now and again. Bit pricey to go every week at £60 a ticket face value.

The touts outside the stadium do my nut right in. Every week it's the same guys selling tickets for up to £250 for prem games to the daft Asian tourists and the coppers do hee haw even though it's illegal. Pricing real fans out of the game. Hence why the atmosphere is shit as well.

There is history between the two sets of supporters as post #26 shows,at least its a proper connection we've had with Chelsea fans in the past. Unlike the filth who claim to be "friendly" with the likes of St Pauli etc but I can pretty much guarantee that they never even heard of them until they played Hamburg a few year ago.

Its Rangers ,Royal Madrid and Chelsea for me .

Rangers till I die but I'm genuinely looking for these other clubs to do the business every other week .

It's purely choice .

The Op would probably have thought it would be safe to ask his original question in a Rangers site .

Just because some fans or a bunch of hooligans like Chelsea doesnt make them associated with Rangers. Half of their fans are tourists and I dont see why some need to cling to Chelsea when they support Glasgow Rangers

Ebay. Don't think the blues brothers thing is still a thing anymore tbh. Chelsea fans hate scotland

Scottish Nationalists, not Scotland.

Nah mate old phone.

Some day though.

It's on youtube but not appropriate for here I'm thinking :lol:

I fucking cringe when I see this link made between Rangers and Chelsea and how some of our fans and some of their fans think we're connected for some ludicrous reason. The two clubs have fuck all to do with each other.

These Rangers fans who have Chelsea pinned as their 'second team' probably never gave a shit about them before Roman Abramovich bought them.

Also, anyone who has a 'second team' (even if it's Rangers as their 'second team') is a glory-hunting megacunt. One heart, one club, room for no other. Fuck the world.

Doesn't bother me in all honesty , only other club i hold a wee soft spot for is linfield , especially as they were the only club who actually lended a helping hand in our time of need .

Some Linfield fans actually had the gall to complain about the low attendance for their friendly with us at Ibrox (14,000, midweek) in 2013.

14,000 was more than what was brought to Windsor during the summer, FFS.

Also, every time we play Linfield, home or away, they go home with the gate.

Fuck Linfield. I'd bet my house that Glentoran or Crusaders fans would have been much more appreciative of being given the takings of a crowd of 14,000 people.

Some Linfield fans actually had the gall to complain about the low attendance for their friendly with us at Ibrox (14,000, midweek) in 2013.

Given the historical links between the clubs and the fact that Linfield FC were one of the first of the few to offer a helping hand during Rangers time of crisis, then yes I agree with them: it was a pitiful turnout at Ibrox and many posted on here at the time saying so themselves.

Given the historical links between the clubs and the fact that Linfield FC were one of the first of the few to offer a helping hand during Rangers time of crisis, then yes I agree with them: it was a pitiful turnout at Ibrox and many posted on here at the time saying so themselves.

I was there that night. Yes, it was low given the capacity of Ibrox. It was also a Monday night friendly against a part-time team who we mostly played reserves against. That match was probably Linfield's biggest gate receipt all season. It sounded ungrateful.

I saw a lot of folk complaining about the attendance on here and Twitter too. Probably the same people who live in Scotland and use illegal links to watch every match, instead of paying for a ticket or buying it via RangersTV.

If you're abroad, like a lot of Bears are (I assume you're from New Zealand going by your name) then you obviously watch the matches online or on TV if there's an official broadcast available. Fuck that commute every other weekend. Lol.

If you're in Scotland and free at the weekends, you should be going to Ibrox. Simple as that.

But as mentioned above, it was a Monday night friendly against a part-time team whom we deployed a lot of reserves against. 14,000 is more than what Windsor holds. And even then, when we go over there, it's Rangers fans who sell the stadium out.

Also, I said before that Glentoran or Crusaders would have been much more appreciative of such a big gate receipt. Which they would have. Plenty of Rangers fans follow the Crues and Glens too. Everytime we play Linfield, they keep the entire gate. Plus, the IFA consistently subsidise them too.

Thing is, no-one was interested in watching our team with a lot of reserves in it play against a part-time team on a Monday night. You can't help that. Linfield aren't a big club at all outside of Northern Ireland. There's no massive interest in them.

And yes, they did step up and help us out when we were put into administration, and that was a fantastic gesture. But you can't complain about a low crowd which was greater than the capacity of your own stadium and when you keep the entire gate for that match and every one before it.