We Consulted With Wotte - Article

trueblueal

SNS Group

Mark Wotte has revealed he has held talks with Rangers about advising them on their blueprint for future success.

The club who expect to appoint either Mark Warburton or Stuart McCall as their new manager within the next 48 hours wants to restructure itself to get back to the top of Scottish football.

The highly-rated Dutchman had an informative meeting last month with the then acting Ibrox chairman, Paul Murray.

Murray wanted to pick the former SFA Performance Directors brain on infrastructure at all levels at Ibrox, from their academy to scouting and to the first team.

At that time, the club were considering appointing a Director of Football and a Head Coach.

But since then they have ditched the idea of having a Director of Football after missing out on promotion to the Premiership.

Having played a role in the development of players such as Arjen Robben, Dirk Kuyt and Michael Mols, Wotte who quit the SFA last November would have been a front runner had Rangers pressed ahead with that format.

Wotte told the Sunday Post: Since leaving the SFA, I have had several invitations from prominent clubs to advise on how to develop world-class players and ensure a better pathway for them into the first team.

I was lucky to have held some high-profile positions in the game at Feyenoord, Holland Under-21s, Southampton and the SFA.

Having been a Head Coach at the highest level, Performance Director, Academy Director and a Director of Football over the years I have obtained a good idea about how to run a club.

Thats probably why Paul Murray met with me.

He was interested in my more or less out-of-the-box opinions on the best philosophies to use in order for a club like Rangers to move forward at all levels. And I thanked him for the invitation.

It was a very pleasant meeting, and we had a good conversation.

Paul Murray impressed me. But I would prefer the rest of the contents of it remain private. That is only fair to all concerned.

I think it is important for clubs to have a Director of Football or Technical Director call it what you will because such a role is vital in the modern game for a variety of reasons.

Apart from anything else, it is not a cost to the club because it ensures returns on investments on the pitch.

Im not fully aware of what the situation is now with Rangers, but if they want to meet with me again, Ill be more than happy because Rangers is still a huge club.

There is a clear determination and willingness to move the club forward.

Wotte also shrugged off Ibrox supremo Dave Kings remarks earlier this week when he was asked about Wottes prospects of landing a job.

The South Africa-based businessman who has defended the clubs decision to increase season-ticket sales by 5% despite still being in Scotlands second tier claimed he had never heard of Wotte.

The Dutchman insisted he was not embarrassed with King not knowing who he is.

Wotte insisted: Listen, I have no problem with what Dave King said.

I understand that he, being based in South Africa, will not have his finger on the pulse of every person who has worked in football.

And most of my work for the SFA was, of course, behind the scenes.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave King had never heard of Mark Watte :anguish: Fuck my ginger cat.

For Watte to say that it was understandable that King being based in South Africa was the reason King didn't know who he was, is being very kind.

Fucking hell! any football person involved in management on the planet knows who Mark Wotte is. I live in Australia and know about Mark Wotte.

For Watte to say that it was understandable that King being based in South Africa was the reason King didn't know who he was, is being very kind.

Fucking hell! any football person involved in management on the planet knows who Mark Wotte is. I live in Australia and know about Mark Wotte.

Had it not been for him working with the SFA no cunt in Scotland would have known who he is and I dare say many people outside Scotland and Holland don't know him, I could

see you point if it was Van Basten or Gullit.

again it shows that there is a massive lack of communication in the rangers camp, our chairman in waiting hadnt heard of wotte but our acting chairman has had discussions with him about how best to proceed our club on the field

A short list of 3 or a short list of 5?

A new manager by Friday?

It's a recurring theme

Very pleased at the way we have gone about consulting and ensuring that we get advice from a wide spectrum. I would also hope that this would be extended to more people than Wotte, and that we obtained a range of views and are going to move ahead with at least the right sort of idea on what it will take to rebuild properly and sustainably.

This is what 2012/13 should have been!

Left hand - do you know what you are doing?

Right hand - yes, do you know what you are doing?

Left hand - yes but who the fuck is Wotte?

Right hand - oh just somebody I had to speak to to create the impression that we were on a serious hunt for a better way of playing football.

Left hand - right but for fuck's sake can you give me a list of the also-rans you've spoken to so that I can be ready for press questions. And btw when the fuck are we going to be able to announce the manager we chose back in April?

Right hand - ok. Maybe we should do joint press conferences and hold hands to show we are a joined up, well informed, honest, transparent Board with a non-negotiable agenda.

Paul Murray actually done the right thing. In as much as he gets a bad rep. for much, he deserves credit for meeting up with Wotte. Good move by him.

Sounds like King didn't know and was miffed and TBH, it wouldn't be hard not to know who Wotte is as he doesnt do his job in glaring publicity, but at least King could have responded with some dignity and manners. Also, even if he didn't know what Murray had done, he had the opportunity to get a bit of good PR with it by putting on a bit of spin, like .....yes Paul is working tirelessly to make sure we are ready to meet the challenges ahead..and so on. That's what working as a team is all about.

This of course not for the first time there has been contradiction between the two of them. Makes you wonder. Sounds like King wants the credit for everything that is good and deflects like fuck to someone else when it's bad. He is looking to have more bad traits than even I thought. Bad karma with such arrogance. Not the biggest faux pas, but FFS, you are not a one man band, I hope!

Now where's my stalker?......

It took you a while to spell the guys name correctly.

I thought that you were taking the piss, and was waiting for a punch-line.

Mind you, it's pretty clear that Wotte isn't telling blatant lies to discredit Murray.

Unlike some, CD, unlike some.

Somebody is either telling lies or the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing

It doesn't bode well for the club going forward if Murray is doing stuff as important as this and King knows nothing about it

I'm taking the positive view that we seem to have been consulting with a variety of people and not all from within the 'Rangers bubble'.

On the negative side, Wotte seems to have advocated a technical director and we have gone another way. If Warburton implements a style that is to be replicated across our youth teams you'd think guidance from a technical director would be valuable. Perhaps Mullhollands remit will include overseeing this.

The idea of a club philosophy is that it outlasts the manager. We can train our youth to play in the style the club is associated with. It's a little worrying we haven't taken the advice of Wotte but perhaps we will address things another way.

again it shows that there is a massive lack of communication in the rangers camp, our chairman in waiting hadnt heard of wotte but our acting chairman has had discussions with him about how best to proceed our club on the field

Yes you would have thought they could keep each other up to date with what the other was doing, basic stuff I would have thought.

I'm taking the positive view that we seem to have been consulting with a variety of people and not all from within the 'Rangers bubble'.

On the negative side, Wotte seems to have advocated a technical director and we have gone another way. If Warburton implements a style that is to be replicated across our youth teams you'd think guidance from a technical director would be valuable. Perhaps Mullhollands remit will include overseeing this.

The idea of a club philosophy is that it outlasts the manager. We can train our youth to play in the style the club is associated with. It's a little worrying we haven't taken the advice of Wotte but perhaps we will address things another way.

Good post

Fairs fair here, Paul Murray went out and did the right thing, we were considering a Director of Football and a Head Coach so he went out and spoke to probably the nost clued up DOF candidate thats worked in a high profile capacity within Scotland recently - I'm not claiming to know a great deal about Mark Wotte but I do believe given his role as the SFA's Performance Director he'll have his finger on the pulse with regards to the Scottish game.

Dave King's comments on Watte are a tad embarrassing, there's no getting away from it, whether Watte is a house-hold name or not or acting Chairman spoke to him so you'd imagine Dave King 'should' have known exactly who the guy is who potentially would have been the guy who set out a blue print for us to follow - to me it sounds like a Head Coach and D.O.F role isn't Kings preferred method and has seemingly just given Paul Murray a chore to keep him occupied with until King could come in and bring in a Manager

I'm swaying toward King being on a need to know basis and as he never really considered a D.O.F/head coach combo then he didn't bothing using the info Murray would have no doubt relaid to him

Fairs fair here, Paul Murray went out and did the right thing, we were considering a Director of Football and a Head Coach so he went out and spoke to probably the nost clued up DOF candidate thats worked in a high profile capacity within Scotland recently - I'm not claiming to know a great deal about Mark Wotte but I do believe given his role as the SFA's Performance Director he'll have his finger on the pulse with regards to the Scottish game.

Dave King's comments on Watte are a tad embarrassing, there's no getting away from it, whether Watte is a house-hold name or not or acting Chairman spoke to him so you'd imagine Dave King 'should' have known exactly who the guy is who potentially would have been the guy who set out a blue print for us to follow - to me it sounds like a Head Coach and D.O.F role isn't Kings preferred method and has seemingly just given Paul Murray a chore to keep him occupied with until King could come in and bring in a Manager

I'm swaying toward King being on a need to know basis and as he never really considered a D.O.F/head coach combo then he didn't bothing using the info Murray would have no doubt relaid to him

Is Murray doing stuff behind Kings back?

Had it not been for him working with the SFA no cunt in Scotland would have known who he is and I dare say many people outside Scotland and Holland don't know him, I could

see you point if it was Van Basten or Gullit.

Yes, well he did & we know.

The folk 'running' us should, as well.