Can The Players Mw Inherited Fit His Style Of Play?

Based on what they showed us in previous seasons and what I saw on Tuesday I think some may really struggle.

For 30 odd minutes on Tuesday I was absolutely delighted with what I saw. Good possession, speedy attacks, good link up play, hustling. We seemed cohesive, with an emphasis on one / two touch and going forward rather than sideways. Other than some risky ( confident?) defending, it was very impressive indeed.

Every one of the new boys impressed me, they all seemed to get what was expected of them, barring the keeper's kicking.

To be fair I was very impressed too with how Wallace, McKay and especially Law performed in this set up and style of play too. Templeton less so imo.

After the substitutions I thought we lost the shape and style from the first third of the game. Seemed more like a flat back 4.

Thought only Walsh ( and Thompson ) of the subs got pass marks for performance, and that only those two seemed to fit the style of play MW wants. Maybe it's because too many came on at the one time, maybe not.

Miller needed 3 touches for everyone elses one. Zal and McGregor seemed completely unsure of where they were meant to be. Thought Shiels let the game pass him by. Aird did seem to want to get forward, didn't think he did it particularly well.

Man or man I reckon the new player played better than his replacement.

Early days I know, but I think many of the ones who let us down previously really may struggle to get a game.

i think MW is on record as saying he likes a core set of players (around 15) that he plays all the time - and the rest are squad players. If you dont fit his style of play i reckon you may find yourself as No. 19 on his list....and quickly shown the door in the next transfer window.

Early days I know, but I think many of the ones who let us down previously really may struggle to get a game.

Exactly what I was thinking after the game on Tuesday. In a way it was kind of embarrassing to see our "older" players come on after seeing the new boys,they looked utter shite :lol:

I think you pretty much have it spot on. Some of them will be fine but others will struggle. I can see the likes of Wallace and Law thriving under Warburton's style of play but I'm unsure about the likes of Templeton, Zaliukas, McGregor, etc.

Thought Law looked very impressive. Good going forward, good defensively with some strong tackles too.

Just realised I missed out Clark on my original post.

He was wearing Law's old invisible jersey.

Time will tell but from what we say on Tuesday night I definitely think some of the old guard are going to struggle.Some just don't seem to have that extra gear or two that MW is looking for but you never know perhaps he can find it in them.

I still can't believe that Miller is still here!

Who in the right mind offers someone of his age a contract that he gets another year if he plays X-amount of games.

lumbered with him, wish hed just retire and give someone else a chance.

I still can't believe that Miller is still here!

Who in the right mind offers someone of his age a contract that he gets another year if he plays X-amount of games.

lumbered with him, wish hed just retire and give someone else a chance.

Were you at the game? Did you see his work rate? With Mark stating he likes to run a light squad in terms of numbers, I think Miller could prove to be a very useful player; even if its from the bench.

Season has not even started yet and already we have some slating the players - absolutely pathetic.

Were you at the game? Did you see his work rate? With Mark stating he likes to run a light squad in terms of numbers, I think Miller could prove to be a very useful player; even if its from the bench.

Season has not even started yet and already we have some slating the players - absolutely pathetic.

I've seen enough of Miller to make my mind up.

I'll slate who I want and when I want.

Many of the original players will struggle from what I saw on Tuesday. I think it has already been said before, but only Walsh (of the substitutes made) from last year's squad made any sort of positive impact and looked remotely comfortable.

I don't hold out much hope for the others.....

We were far superior with the new guy's in the first half and then the old players came on............ Who were as you might have guessed it, crap

Nah disagree.

Thought the goal turned it upside down.

Even the new players were poorer for 20 mins before the subs were made.

Based on what they showed us in previous seasons and what I saw on Tuesday I think some may really struggle.

For 30 odd minutes on Tuesday I was absolutely delighted with what I saw. Good possession, speedy attacks, good link up play, hustling. We seemed cohesive, with an emphasis on one / two touch and going forward rather than sideways. Other than some risky ( confident?) defending, it was very impressive indeed.

Every one of the new boys impressed me, they all seemed to get what was expected of them, barring the keeper's kicking.

To be fair I was very impressed too with how Wallace, McKay and especially Law performed in this set up and style of play too. Templeton less so imo.

After the substitutions I thought we lost the shape and style from the first third of the game. Seemed more like a flat back 4.

Thought only Walsh ( and Thompson ) of the subs got pass marks for performance, and that only those two seemed to fit the style of play MW wants. Maybe it's because too many came on at the one time, maybe not.

Miller needed 3 touches for everyone elses one. Zal and McGregor seemed completely unsure of where they were meant to be. Thought Shiels let the game pass him by. Aird did seem to want to get forward, didn't think he did it particularly well.

Good post and analysis mate.

The old saying "it's a game of two halves" came to mind on Tuesday night for me. One half exciting, mainly due to new style of play and new faces, the other not so much due to same old faces and not much improvement in style of play.

Like you I think MW put too many "old" players on at once and this resulted in a "last season" drop in tempo, and old style of play, not great but Walsh and Thompson stood out for me.

Early days as you say so there is hope for quite a few of the old squad, but not all, with Law, McKay, Walsh, Wallace, being the more obvious players who should figure in MW's plans. Others will surface as the season continues, hopefully Murdoch and a few of the other youth players.

All in all things are looking decidedly bright.

:uk:

Agree with everything you say above and no i dont think many of them will be able to. (tu)

A dog can chase a ball about all day, doesn't mean I want him up front or playing wide left for us. Miller is done and was a huge disappointment last season, it should be time for him to stand aside and let the new guard come through.

Thats how i saw it, you could see as soon as the Players who let us down previously came on it was back to the same old Languid style of play that failed us last season.

The "what if" for me is if Aird had got the first half instead of Tavernier, or Shiels instead of Holt, or Gal instead of Temps.

Would they have impressed amongst more of the new players than they performed second half with last season's lot?.

Would they have done as well as Law, Wallace and McKay did imo?

They NEED to be able to perform to the new system.

I don't reckon Miller, Zal, Templeton, Sheils, Aird can.

The "what if" for me is if Aird had got the first half instead of Tavernier, or Shiels instead of Holt, or Gal instead of Temps.

Would they have impressed amongst more of the new players than they performed second half with last season's lot?.

Would they have done as well as Law, Wallace and McKay did imo?

They NEED to be able to perform to the new system.

I don't reckon Miller, Zal, Templeton, Sheils, Aird can.

I agree on Miller, Zal and Aird....and i would add McGregor and Clark to them as well, but i think Shiels and Temps could very easily. (tu)

Exactly what I was thinking after the game on Tuesday. In a way it was kind of embarrassing to see our "older" players come on after seeing the new boys,they looked utter shite :lol:

You're being to kind mate, we badly need a leader in the middle of the park and someone who can get us goals.