Sometimes Things Happen For A Reason

hammer93

I think that the OP is being highly speculative. There's no way you can say what would have happened if McCall had got us into the SPL via the play offs. If he had, I'd say he did a good job, but to assume that he'd keep all the players that have left is also highly speculative.I actually feel that the biggest difference to us was King winning control of the board. If that hadn't happened, we'd still be languishing along in sub-standardsville. And the crowds will have been much lower, so credit has to go to board there as well.Money will come from the board, eventually. I'm sure they're just sitting on their hands just now to see how things go and if the crowds are still coming by Christmas, you may see the bump in money that has been promised.Has there been any painting or signs of refurbishment yet at the ground?

Agreed Dutchy about a lot of it is based on speculation, the one real fact for me is not getting promoted guaranteed we got MW in, that for me is the biggest thing here, if we keep selling out Ibrox then the only real revenue we are missing out on is the tv money which ain't that great anyway.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we are in an excellent place right now due to the decision to recruit W&W. They would have been in the frame to be recruited even if we had been promoted.

Although I disagree with the OP regarding his view that it was better to repeat a year in the Championship than get promoted- I do however share the same sense of excitement every time we are about to play a game. It makes a change from the previous sense of frustration and despair.

Agreed Dutchy about a lot of it is based on speculation, the one real fact for me is not getting promoted guaranteed we got MW in, that for me is the biggest thing here, if we keep selling out Ibrox then the only real revenue we are missing out on is the tv money which ain't that great anyway.

I still think it's hard to say who would have got the job. King's board obviously were looking for someone and SM was a stop gap. If he'd got us up, would have been the man? Impossible to say!

I would have liked to have gone up, but we didn't.

I'm equally pleased about the MW area as he certainly sounds like he's here, specifically to get us up, and Europe ready. Who knows what after that, but so far so good.

I still think it's hard to say who would have got the job. King's board obviously were looking for someone and SM was a stop gap. If he'd got us up, would have been the man? Impossible to say!I would have liked to have gone up, but we didn't.I'm equally pleased about the MW area as he certainly sounds like he's here, specifically to get us up, and Europe ready. Who knows what after that, but so far so good.

Yep so far so good, I have had my belief restored after 4 yr of despair

Not getting promotion is far from the disaster some are making it out to be. Looking at the way things are panning out how can it be?

If we had been promoted, then there is 2 chances we wouldn't have Warburton in charge. Either McCall would have been given the job or we would have went with a bigger name manager who only wanted to be our manager if we were in the top flight.

We now have Warburton and Weir and more or less a new team. They have a chance to gel and improve away from the ridiculous pressures that would have put on them back in the top division.

Our team will now hopefully be ready for the step up next summer.

IMHO if we had been promoted to the top league then McCall would have been our manager. I have nothing against him but I don't think he was the man to take us forward.

Not forgetting the stupid amount of money it would have cost us to be promoted because we would have had to have paid Mike Ashley for all the loan players. Of course I would have loved to have been promoted but I think we would have been out of our depth with SMcC as manager.

If the fans keep coming and we continue selling out at Ibrox and, as Dutchy said, Dave King & co eventually pony up then (again in my opinion) we will be s much stronger team when we go up this year.

I'm not having a dig at anyone as everyone is entitled to their opinion but what would people of preferred?

Promotion and McCall getting the job or where we find ourselves today?

Why are you assuming McCall would have got the job?

IMHO if we had been promoted to the top league then McCall would have been our manager. I have nothing against him but I don't think he was the man to take us forward.

Not forgetting the stupid amount of money it would have cost us to be promoted because we would have had to have paid Mike Ashley for all the loan players. Of course I would have loved to have been promoted but I think we would have been out of our depth with SMcC as manager.

If the fans keep coming and we continue selling out at Ibrox and, as Dutchy said, Dave King & co eventually pony up then (again in my opinion) we will be s much stronger team when we go up this year.

Agreed, for me the big thing is we all seem to be pulling in the same direction which is bringing positivity back to the stands.

As it has been said if we keep packing out Ibrox then the revenue streams become far greater which will boost our budget for next season.

Nobody knows that for certain, if that was the case then yes obviously I would much prefered promotion, the other option of SM would of been a disaster to journey we are now taking.

I think it's pretty obvious the club had been talking to Warburton before the play offs, so I would say he was getting the job promotion or not. This team may not have won this seasons top flight but they would've given the rest a run for their money and would easily have claimed a euro spot and that is where the money is.

I think it's pretty obvious the club had been talking to Warburton before the play offs, so I would say he was getting the job promotion or not. This team may not have won this seasons top flight but they would've given the rest a run for their money and would easily have claimed a euro spot and that is where the money is.

let's hope it's not long before we are back in Europe, we might win the Scottish cup.

Most fans felt that if Stuart McCall got us promoted he should get a crack at the top-flight. That's not pretend. If we went up we might not have Warburton at the club who is a far superior manager.

It's obviously a blow in the short-term but long-term this may be the best thing.

Exactly this.

Far too often we only plan for the short term, well let's face it with warburton in charge we can visibly see the difference in our play, our training, the general running of the club and of course ourselves. How many happy faces did you see at ibrox on Friday?

Financially it might be a blow but it's resulted in the best managerial appointment we could have hoped for.

Win the league by a country mile this year and line up signings for next season with the momentum generated will be far better than what we would have had this year had we been promoted.

Why are you assuming McCall would have got the job?

I honestly think that SMcC would have been given the job. If he got us promotion then wasn't given the job? That would have been a right boot in the baws for him and Kenny Black.

As others have said no-one (except the board) knows what would have happened but what I do know is I am really happy that we have W&W and I honestly believe we have given ourselves a better chance of actually wining the title next season when we are back where we belong

:uk:

We would have got Warburton and Weir in if we'd got promoted. I'd say failing to get promotion would have had him thinking twice but he came here anyway.

Not so sure, the failure to get promoted made at least two of the shortlist remove their interest, so it might have been perreira for instance and who knows how that would have turned out.

I honestly think that SMcC would have been given the job. If he got us promotion then wasn't given the job? That would have been a right boot in the baws for him and Kenny Black.

As others have said no-one (except the board) knows what would have happened but what I do know is I am really happy that we have W&W and I honestly believe we have given ourselves a better chance of actually wining the title next season when we are back where we belong

:uk:

The fact we were apparently in talks with that Portuguese coach and there was talks of coaches turning us down once we failed to get promotion proves McCall was never getting the job.

If we had went up and got Warbs it would have been the best outcome.

If we had went up and given McCall the gig, it would have been good.

Waiting an extra year and going up with Warbs is also very good.

Only time will answer the question to be honest.

If we stop the Tim's getting 9 in a row I'll be delighted. If they get 10 in a row it will be a disaster.