Sometimes Things Happen For A Reason

hammer93

Warburton would still have got the job and we would be one step closer to getting back to the top. We would also have been able to attract a better standard of player to the club, more revenue from a higher league, more ST sales, just more of everything.

Not going up was a disaster for the club.

My view exactly. A couple of results towards the end of the season, ie Falkirk, and giving up a 2 goal lead to Hearts would in my opinion seen McCall being replaced and W & W would still have been the best candidates to take us forward, but at the top level.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No . Financially it's a disaster , and football wise , I think we're wasting a year in this division.

On a more positive note , I think we're now making the best of a bad situation , and don't see us repeating last season's mistakes.

No . Financially it's a disaster , and football wise , I think we're wasting a year in this division.

Financially not great but I wouldn't say a disaster.

Football wise this year has been beneficial due the changes as it gives the team a chance to settle and gel. We will be far better prepared going into next season.

Towards the end of last seasons disaster this board was awash with all sorts of arguments and debates, the argument that stood out for me was the one that would we benefit from another season in the championship?

In truth most people were of the opinion that promotion was a must as another season in the championship would leave us trailing further behind the tims on and off the field.

Now had we got promoted I don't know for certain but my gut feeling is that Stuart McCall would of kept the job and a few of the imposters would of earned New contracts.

I have even read that a lot of people are now saying if only we had brought MW in last season then it would be of been so different, again just my opinion but I doubt even MW and his magic hat could of worked his footballing philosophy on the dross he would of had at his disposal, would we then still of had the same belief in MW?

As it turned out we failed in the play off and another season in the championship it was, now I don't know about anyone else but I now can't wait for the next time I see the Rangers play whether it's on the box or at the game.

As I said sometimes things happen for a reason and it turns out another season in the championship was the right thing for the club.

Grammar Police here, what is wrong with using the word 'have' every now and again?

When did of replace have? Was I off school that day? I know that I am being picky here, but..

I think there two side to this:

Firstly it was a blow - no denying it - we were soundly beaten into 3rd place and then shown up in the playoffs. However, it may be that staying in the division will give MW time to organize and put his stamp on things that he may not otherwise have got had we been promoted.

I would rather we said "every cloud has a silver lining" rather than "things happen for a reason".

This. (tu)

What I will say tho is Im not sure the clear out of players would've happened. There was no guarantee we'd have got Warburton and every likelihood we'd have offered new deals to the dross we had.

But it's a moot point.

We are where we are and we have this season to really gel and play a style we are loving. With 2 and half transfer windows to go, we will only get stronger and I can't fucking wait.

"Brace yourself... Rangers are coming."

Financially not great but I wouldn't say a disaster.

Football wise this year has been beneficial due the changes as it gives the team a chance to settle and gel. We will be far better prepared going into next season.

Of course it's disaster. We're now two years away from European football (unless we win the SC) now as opposed to one year if we had went up. We would also have made more on ticket sales, season ticket sales, TV revenue, sponsorship.

Not getting promotion was/is a financial disaster.

If we're in the premiership this time next year then I think we'll be a better team by then compared to what we would be right now if we did get promotion last season. When we go up we need to avoid relegation and aim for AT LEAST mid table. I'm not sure if we would have managed that. With the team we have right now I feel more positive. When we get up there we really need to be ready to hit the ground running.

Agree with the OP - for some reason all our stars aligned at the same time - McCoist went (sort of), rats were displaced and Warburton became available(what were Brentford thinking of?). If the price we had to pay for all of this to happen was another year in the Championship then so be it.

It's all ifs buts and maybees.

No-one other than the Board and those they pursued knows the true plans.

The fact of the matter is that the season was one of failure, a huge blow, but the Board have reacted to that by getting in W&W.

Imo that is a positive strategic decision for which they deserve immense credit.

McCall, costs of non-promotion, etc are all subjective and are in the pas tor are factors we can no longer influence.

I'm loving the feel good factor on the footballing front, long may it continue up to and including reclaiming our position as the top team in Scottish football .

People saying we wouldn't have W&W if we went up...

They do realise we were looking at replacements for McCall before the Motherwell game?

Letting the times have a free run at another title is nothing short of a disaster no matter how you try to spin it.

Of course it's disaster. We're now two years away from European football (unless we win the SC) now as opposed to one year if we had went up. We would also have made more on ticket sales, season ticket sales, TV revenue, sponsorship.

Not getting promotion was/is a financial disaster.

We've lived through "Financial Disasters" in recent years. Financially its a blow but not a disaster.

Regardless of what league we are in, the positives we can take is that it seems like we have the right people in the right places now.

IMO we will need the preperation this year. Even though celtic has reduced drastically in quality in our absence, Aberdeen and Dundee Hibs are better teams than when we left (maybe not the latter since that decent teams has been merged with Celtic).

While It will still be a 2 horse race when we are back up, we can't ignore that the rest of the herd are punching closer to the top of the pack than ever before.

Financially not going up was a disaster for the club, in terms of lost revenue and time before having another crack at Europe.

Also it infuriates me that the mhob have another year of practically no competition for the league.

From a footballing point of view though I think it will benefit us long term, giving us time to develop younger players and an improved playing style.

I think Warburton was earmarked for the job all along and wouldve still gone through a process of bringing in new guys and clearing out the dross that was in place.

People may have felt McCall wouldve warranted the opportunity but it looks like the club had/has longer term plans in place and I believe we'd have been better in the top flight.