When Did You Become One Of The People?

The Wee General

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure of my first match but remember the day i knew i was a RANGERS fan. Was on my auld man's shoulders at Somerset in the mid fifties. Musta been about 4 and he was getting me to knock the RANGERS fans bunnets off. Something came over me and i refused to do it. All i could remember was the carnival type atmosphere and how happy and full of fun"THESE PEOPLE" were and that is when the love affair began. My family were all Orange Order and some were Ayr Utd but I was only ever going to support one team. :uk:

First game was against Third Lanark at Ibrox 1961/62 season. Due to thick fog we had to wait outside till after 2pm when the ref declared it playable. Stood in Copeland rd end and could only see up to half way line but we won, had a great day and gave enjoyed many more over the years!

my uncle took me to my first game, it was at Ibrox against the mhanks 92 maybe 93( I'd need to google it lol) we got beat 2-1 and he said I was a jinx and he was never taking me again haha

I didn't start going regularly until 99/00 season, I got my first season book the following year and I haven't looked back :7325:

Battle of Britain games. Our BB captain was a big Leeds fan and made sure everyone was watching the games in the BB hall.

I was a Rangers fan for life after that. Then I remember watching the group games and being gutted we didn't get through to the final.

Some of my earliest memories are standing outside the Bells Bar with a can of Irn Bru and a pack of crisps playing with all the broken bottles lying about the place since we were too wee to get in. Sometimes if it was quiet id be allowed in and id collect all the glasses for folk. Then wed go to the game and i loved walking down Copland road seeing all the bears and the flags and scarves. Then going into the game and singing the songs that i wasnt allowed to sing in the house cause my mum would kill me. And seeing Super Ally and Richard Gough and Hately etc and mimicking their celebrations when wed play football in the street. We'd come back from the game and my mum would ask us how it went and my wee bro said "great maw! Rangers won 3-0 and Dad had 5 pints!" Then hed get a slap on the ear then wed do it all over again the next week.

Started taking my daughter to games now which is one of the proudest moments ever. I jokingly said to my dad a few weeks ago "why dont we go to the Bells for a wee bit of nostalgia" he said "where will Willis Jnr go? She cant get in the pub?"

You shouldve seen his face when i said "well get her a juice and some crisps and she can stay outside and play with the broken glass like we used to at her age" :lol:

Have never given it a second thought, it was in my DNA. Lived the first few years of my life a stones throw from the Stadium. My dad, his dad, brothers and uncles were all big Rangers fans. My mum, also a Rangers fan, always proudly told the tale of her skipping work to see the Rangers play Moscow Dynamo in the 40s along with her father.

With that background, I couldn't have been anything else but a bluenose nor would have wanted to.

Had been to some games before, but one of my earliest memorys was my uncles coming back to my house drunk after a game. We had just beat the mhanky mob, and they were singing "Mo Mo Fuck Yer Mo" at the top of their voice coming up the street. :lol:

My Dad is the biggest blue nose I've ever known, taught me the ways had me hooked on the club as long as I can remember.

I can't actually remember the exact date I chose Rangers but I guess that's because they chose me! Born and raised in England, never even flirted with the idea of supporting anyone else.

My dad bought me the strip for my fifth birthday, I went to the odd game but 78/79 was my first real season. Saw the league cup win against the sheep then then all 3 Scottish cup finals against Hibs.

I remember the second reply against Hibs as an 8 year old down the front at the fence as we paraded the Scottish cup around, Those red, white and blue ribbons with the speckles of rain on the cup with the floodlight shinning down and reflecting off the cup, I was hooked.

He never let me go to the 4-2 game title decider that year. I was playing football down Darmanlock and remember the feeling when told we had lost after hearing we were winning

I was a boy from parkhead who would jump they 89 at Springfield Rd to Ibrox with my da.

Best days of my life and I will forever be grateful to my late Da for making the effort when public transport was not the best

My Dad is the biggest blue nose I've ever known, taught me the ways had me hooked on the club as long as I can remember.

I can't actually remember the exact date I chose Rangers but I guess that's because they chose me! Born and raised in England, never even flirted with the idea of supporting anyone else.

Your da sounds a top bloke,

My dad bought me the strip for my fifth birthday, I went to the odd game but 78/79 was my first real season. Saw the league cup win against the sheep then then all 3 Scottish cup finals against Hibs.

I remember the second reply against Hibs as an 8 year old down the front at the fence as we paraded the Scottish cup around, Those red, white and blue ribbons with the speckles of rain on the cup with the floodlight shinning down and reflecting off the cup, I was hooked.

He never let me go to the 4-2 game title decider that year. I was playing football down Darmanlock and remember the feeling when told we had lost after hearing we were winning

I was a boy from parkhead who would jump they 89 at Springfield Rd to Ibrox with my da.

Best days of my life and I will forever be grateful to my late Da for making the effort when public transport was not the best

As does yours mate (tu)

Sorry for your loss, sounds like he was a top bluenose!

The day I was born. I am born an Australian but my mum and her family are from Glasgow (make no mistake I love my Aussie rules - carn the eagles!) But I have been brought up following rangers. Love the color blue, despise the color green. My grandad was born and bred in govan, worked on the shipyards and went to see brox on his half day off with his wee pal Joe ;)(or my uncle tam). Proud to follow my grandads local team. We are the fucking people

I was at games before I can remember, 8 in a row game for instance, I must have been 3-4 years old.

I remember having the Gazza 8 shirt and taking it into school, showing all my wee pals it.

Before the internet I would research everything to do with Rangers via books, newspapers for transfer gossip every single morning.

My Dad would buy me every shirt that came out and even did still till I was 21.

From an early age till I was 21 my Dad bought me my season ticket, even taking me to the UEFA Cup Final and Stuggart. Used to go up with his group of mates, sneaking the odd bottle of beer down me on a wet Wednesday Champions League night when I was 14 then going to school the next day to tell my mates.

My brothers have all followed in the same footsteps of our Dad, Uncle and Grandfather.

I'm trying to think of one particular instance that defined it all for me and that would have to be the UEFA Cup Final, 16 year old and completely blown away by the expericance, it was then that I knew I was madly in love with this club.