Is The Special One Finished?

AlCapone

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we're talking about the best of all time I'm surprised to see Bob Paisley hasn't been mentioned.

19 trophies in 7 years including 3 European Cups, better ratio than SAF had at United.

The difference being that Paisley took over a ready-made team from Shankley whereas Ferguson had to build a team. If my memory serves me right, they reckon Ferguson was one cup final away from the boot.

Outstanding short term miracle worker, can't go beyond a 2nd season though. I've said that for years.

Will still go down as the best manager of all time.

As he pointed out himself earlier in the season, he didn't have 3rd seasons at Inter and Porto, his 3rd at Chelsea first time round he won two cups and lost a CL semi-final on penalties, and his 3rd at Real Madrid was admittedly poor but it still involved a cup final and another CL semi.

Right now is horrendous but I really don't think there's much behind the 2 seasons theory

I would say he is possibly finished at chelski, but no way is he finished in football. He'll move to another club and do wonders in the first few seasons.

The Aston Villa job is vacant at the moment I think. Do you really think he could do a good job with the resources available and without all the magic that a chequebook can buy? I certainly don't think he is capable of meeting such a challenge.

The Aston Villa job is vacant at the moment I think. Do you really think he could do a good job with the resources available and without all the magic that a chequebook can buy? I certainly don't think he is capable of meeting such a challenge.

Did pretty well at Uniao de Leiria with without much of a budget

I think he could possibly turn things around at the club and get the players to start playing with a bit of belief.

I think he could possibly turn things around at the club and get the players to start playing with a bit of belief.

I don't think there is any evidence that he could do that or that he even believes he could. He is only interested in clubs who can keep him in the signings he is accustomed to.

was Fabregas that said this apparently

Did pretty well at Uniao de Leiria with without much of a budget

Did a pretty good job at Porto too when you look at what he spent in comparison to what the so called elite European clubs were spending to try and win the Champions League too.

I don't get the whole "chequebook manager" thing and how people aim it as a criticism of managers at top clubs because more often than not managers have started at clubs where they have more modest resources and they work their way up to top jobs with bigger money available to them by being successful or impressing somewhere else first.

Genuine question here but Guardiola aside, is there a manager at a top club anywhere in Europe just now who hasn't earned the job they are currently in by proving themselves somewhere else first?