The Paedophile Apologist In Todays Times

Virtuoso

Seems Queersie is scarping the barrel now for things to write about....

Mo joins Rangers - and a totem of sectarianism tumbles.

b31115c0-978c-11e5_1020444c.jpg

Graham Spiers
On the morning of July 10, 1989, Scotland woke to a front-page splash in The Sun that put the Scottish media in a lather and forever changed the landscape of Rangers, Celtic and our nation's football in general.

'Mo Joins Gers' was the headline, confirming that Rangers had signed Maurice Johnston. It was stunning, not just because Johnston had previously played for Celtic between 1984 and 1987, and had seemed likely to rejoin them just eight weeks earlier. More astonishing was the fact that he was a high-profile Catholic who, in joining Rangers, was signalling the end of decades of anti-Catholic bigotry practised by the Ibrox club.

The months building up to the momentous move were chaotic. Johnston's agent was Bill McMurdo, at the time one of football's most famous operators, who was trying to sort out the striker's next move after his career was endangered by financial problems at Nantes, his French club.

'I didn't want Mo to come back to the UK,' McMurdo says. 'We had big-money offers from Torino, Stuttgart and Spurs, and others would be forthcoming. It didn't make sense to me for Mo to come back to Scotland. But he seemed to want to.'

Celtic played hard to land Johnston and held a press conference on May 12, 1989, to announce his return. Johnston smiled for the cameras in his new Celtic shirt, but in his pocket was a letter from McMurdo, who was barred by Celtic, explaining why the move couldn't go through. The agent had asked Johnston to pass this on to Jack McGinn, the Celtic chairman.

'Technically, Mo's contract was owned by a company, which I had a share in,' McMurdo says. 'This wasn't unusual back then '" plenty of players had these arrangements. So Celtic had to deal with me, but they refused to. Fine, I said, but this deal can't go through.'

The weeks passed and, slowly but surely, word leaked out that the Johnston/Celtic deal had foundered. Meanwhile, in early June, McMurdo met Graeme Souness, the Rangers manager at the time.

'I knew Graeme, and he was pretty upset with me at not alerting him to Johnston's availability,' McMurdo says. 'I said to him, But Mo's a Catholic . . . what about the club's no-Catholics policy?' Graeme said to me firmly, 'I can assure you that no longer applies.' So when the Celtic deal for Mo collapsed '" as I knew it would '" Graeme and Rangers came in for him and the deal was done.'

The Johnston move to Rangers changed Scottish football and was a milestone in Scottish society more generally. It signalled an end to the prejudice practised by Rangers FC. Some of their fans ripped up their season tickets in protest, but all of that quickly passed. The incident unarguably moved Rangers into the modern era.

Celtic were also affected by it. If they thought Johnston was 'one of their own' then they were soon disabused of that. There was a broader impact too. In the west of Scotland, where sectarian 'closed shops' had been a feature of many industries and professions throughout the 20th century, it could be argued that the Johnston affair led to prejudices and assumptions on both sides being laid bare.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/scotland/article4628196.ece

Fucking wank.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"anti-catholic bigotry"

nae bother. can we see his next report about teams "racism" for not signing coloured players for most of the last century? for not being ethnically diverse? for being homophobic for not signing gays? obviously it'll only be Rangers that are subjected to such shite and bile.

The guy is clearly hurting at the fact he has been outed as a shameless apologist for a club known to harbor paedos.

Old hat. Annoys me that they constantly write this story spouting on about Rangers fans being outraged and 'ripping up their season tickets'. I personally don't know of any of my Rangers supporting friends being outraged - all were pleased to sign a good player and even better that he was snatched from under their noses. I'm sure there maybe some in our support who took time to accept it fully but think that largely disappeared after his last minute winner against them a few months later.

What is never written about this story is that it was, and still is, the Celtic minded who had the biggest issue with his signing. To this day, Johnston is ostracised from his homeland, not due to us but because of the potential 'welcome' he would get from them. They even threatened to boycott an old boys charity match with us when it was mooted he might turn up.

My god do these hate filled people just sit around all day thinking about ways to have a go at Rangers? "I know lets just rehash the the mojo story for the thousandth time" Wonder who gave this lapdog the order to write that article? 3 names or Liewell?

Britney must be really running out of ideas for topical football stories for to re-hash this old chestnut. I mean, ffs has he nothing to offer regarding Scottish teams having the lowest coefficiant ever for places in European competition? Does he have fuck all to say about Stoksie's twatter outbursts? Nothing to contribute on the European debacles of ra selliks failure to even stay in before a snow flake has fallen in Scotland?Naw, this cunt with his finger on the pulse of Scottish football in the last knockings of 2015 has reproduced a piece of writing from 1989 just in case anyone remotely connected with Scottish football has forgotten about the Mo Johnston saga?

I don't recall any Catholics complaining that they wanted to play for Rangers but weren't allowed to.

I'm sure Bill Struth tried for about 3. One guys mum said no :D the tims wouldn't let another join us, unsure if the other. We tried, what more could we do?