New League Cup Format 16/17

greg_1987

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's only 7 games yo win the tournament. 6 of you're in Europe.

is it not 8 games?

4 group games then last 16, quarters, semis and final?

edit: id rather not be playing 4 league cup games between the 16th and 30th of July so hopefully next season will be the only season we will be involved in it, would rather be in the european qualifiers after that (tu)

is it not 8 games?

4 group games then last 16, quarters, semis and final?

edit: id rather not be playing 4 league cup games between the 16th and 30th of July so hopefully next season will be the only season we will be involved in it, would rather be in the european qualifiers after that (tu)

Yeah. I thought it was 32 teams, 4 team groups. Still not a lot of games. I'm sure we could rest players against the low league teams.

Yeah. I thought it was 32 teams, 4 team groups. Still not a lot of games. I'm sure we could rest players against the low league teams.

im sure we will but id much rather be in the euro qualies and not involved in the group stage.

thats what i meant by not being involved.

plus if we are in europe then its only 4 games to win it haha

I would be surprised if we didn't finish in the top 4 next season.

Or maybe even make the Scottish cup final after we strengthen in January.

4 games to win a cup is ridiculous.

That's right. The changed the rules a couple of years back. I agreed with it at the time.

Aye, I think it was after the embarrassment of Gretna representing us in Europe that done it. So instead of say a Gretna/Falkirk getting knocked out in the first round of the Europa league St Johnstone or someone will now get knocked out in the first round.

As others have said the competition is on its arse so I'm happy to see if this new format works out better. One thing about being involved in group stages is that gives opportunities for teams to give young players some first team experience without fear of being knocked out after one game.

The tournament in detail
A group stage will be introduced for the first round of the competition
40 teams will take part. Thirty-eight will be drawn from the SPFL, with the champions of the Highland and Lowland Leagues also participating
The season's European participants will not enter until the second round
Eight groups of five teams will be drawn on what the SPFL is describing as a "loosely regionalised" basis, meaning no teams will face long trips
Teams will play each other once in an identical format to the 2006/07 UEFA Cup, with each side playing two games at home and two away
Premiership teams will be seeded and each placed into one of the eight groups
The first match will be played on Saturday, July 16
Subsequent matches will be played on July 20, 23, 27 and 30, all before the start of the league season
Drawn matches in the group stage will go immediately to a penalty shootout
The winner of the penalty shootout will be awarded a bonus point
The tiebreak format for the competition will be in order: points gained, away goals scored, goal difference, total goals scored
The eight group winners, and the four best runners up, will qualify for the second round
Four rounds will then follow on an unseeded basis
The final will continue to be played in March

I can agree with some of the changes but not all. Imho the structure and rules of competitions should be unified worldwide