*** Official Betting Thread ***

Creampuff

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, wully said:

@ForeverAndEver, have you been doing scratch of the day with Hill's?

If Brentford win 2-1 tonight i get a free £2 bet. Would have got the same prize if Sterling scored first last night.

No mate, deleted it from my phone but use it every so often, will look at it again this weekend

Just done it there and got 2-0. Brentford

11 hours ago, ForeverAndEver said:

See when it comes to weight with horse racing, gonny sound like a mongo but is lighter better? @theblueoysterbar

@Rfc52 is obviously spot on, would only add that occasionally lighter can be better.

Over jumps if there's a big name riding at minimum weight or close to it the guy has obviously done some work to be able to get there, thinking of if you used to see it happen with a guy like AP McCoy who is about 5'10", even Richard Johnson who is about 5'7" which is still quite tall for a jockey. Cunt's been in the gym and the sauna eating lettuce for a week to get his weight down so must really fancy the ride.

On the flat you sometimes get an apprentice whose allowance (which is supposed to offset his lack of experience) is something a good trainer can use to bring down the horse's weight knowing the jockey is far better than others at the same level. A guy like Eddie Greatrex was a good example. Doesn't really work with conditional jockeys over jumps so much. The horse still appears on the card with its correct unaltered weight though.

But as D says, the top weight should usually be the best horse in the race whether it's a handicap based on Official Rating or a weight based on conditions. 

16 minutes ago, theblueoysterbar said:

@Rfc52 is obviously spot on, would only add that occasionally lighter can be better.

Over jumps if there's a big name riding at minimum weight or close to it the guy has obviously done some work to be able to get there, thinking of if you used to see it happen with a guy like AP McCoy who is about 5'10", even Richard Johnson who is about 5'7" which is still quite tall for a jockey. Cunt's been in the gym and the sauna eating lettuce for a week to get his weight down so must really fancy the ride.

On the flat you sometimes get an apprentice whose allowance (which is supposed to offset his lack of experience) is something a good trainer can use to bring down the horse's weight knowing the jockey is far better than others at the same level. A guy like Eddie Greatrex was a good example. Doesn't really work with conditional jockeys over jumps so much. The horse still appears on the card with its correct unaltered weight though.

But as D says, the top weight should usually be the best horse in the race whether it's a handicap based on Official Rating or a weight based on conditions. 

Thats what I am aiming it mate it's not as easy as what @ForeverAndEversaid thought lol 

31 minutes ago, theblueoysterbar said:

13 minutes ago, Rfc52 said:

Thats what I am aiming it mate it's not as easy as what @ForeverAndEversaid thought lol 

Cheers boys, tried to understand it plenty times and just lose it :lol: 

19 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Cheers boys, tried to understand it plenty times and just lose it :lol: 

Mind sitting in the pub and someone had the idea of us all putting a tenner in and choosing a horse in each race at Ayr one night. 50 points for a win, 20 for a 2nd and 10 for a third.

Card was full of Class 6 and Class 5 Handicaps, went for #1 in every race and won  the money easily. :tu:

2 hours ago, theblueoysterbar said:

You know aswell as I do m8 that when it comes to 3mile 5furlong foxhunter chases in a bog....the last thing you want to be doing is backing the top weight when something is coming in 16lb better off at the bottom of the weights :lol:

3 minutes ago, hammer93 said:

You know aswell as I do m8 that when it comes to 3mile 5furlong foxhunter chases in a bog....the last thing you want to be doing is backing the top weight when something is coming in 16lb better off at the bottom of the weights :lol:

Only really bet on those when there's a good trainer sticking out a decent older horse hoping to qualify for the St James' at Cheltenham.

I remember years ago when down at the Cheltenham festival....Derek Thompson was doing a spiel on weights in handicap races...in his summary he said....if you are undecided what to back in a handicap but still want to bet then back horse number 1 as it's the best horse in the race 🤣🤣

Obviously their is logic in in it but unfortunately for the punter their are too many plot jobs out there to get the better of the handicapper...in truth handicaps are a minefield especially at the likes of the festival but that's where you make your money in truth 👍

1 minute ago, hammer93 said:

I remember years ago when down at the Cheltenham festival....Derek Thompson was doing a spiel on weights in handicap races...in his summary he said....if you are undecided what to back in a handicap but still want to bet then back horse number 1 as it's the best horse in the race 🤣🤣

Obviously their is logic in in it but unfortunately for the punter their are too many plot jobs out there to get the better of the handicapper...in truth handicaps are a minefield especially at the likes of the festival but that's where you make your money in truth 👍

Honestly refuse to believe that the handicappers can't be got to with a few quid as well mate.

1 minute ago, theblueoysterbar said:

Honestly refuse to believe that the handicappers can't be got to with a few quid as well mate.

I can't remember the horse this year at Cheltenham....one of JPs...I'm sure it won the coral cup....anyway I'm sure they were trying to pull a fast one with the handicapper but they put it up 4lbs a few weeks before the festival....anyway JP appealed it and got it reduced by 2lb....and guess what got up to win on the line....the handicapper had his mark but got bullied out of it😆

1 minute ago, hammer93 said:

I can't remember the horse this year at Cheltenham....one of JPs...I'm sure it won the coral cup....anyway I'm sure they were trying to pull a fast one with the handicapper but they put it up 4lbs a few weeks before the festival....anyway JP appealed it and got it reduced by 2lb....and guess what got up to win on the line....the handicapper had his mark but got bullied out of it😆

That's what I don't get sometimes. Why waste your time with that? 2lb is fuck all over jumps. 2 packets of mince.

Surely they were just doing it to make a point or something.

2 minutes ago, theblueoysterbar said:

That's what I don't get sometimes. Why waste your time with that? 2lb is fuck all over jumps. 2 packets of mince.

Surely they were just doing it to make a point or something.

The 2lbs was the difference between winning and losing that race no doubt....I got the story it was raised 8lbs in December to a mark of 140 but the handicapper reviewed it and stuck it up another 2lbs to 142....hence the appeal and back down to 140....it stuck out like a sore thumb and had to be backed....guess what daft bastard didn't back it due to the favourites record in the race being diabolical 🤣🤣

Had a good spell a couple of weeks ago but having a nightmare at the momment.

However hopefully my bad spell will end today with a couple of good ones at Newcastle 1.15 Gloves Lynch and 3.35 Cosmelli.

Both ew. I can get 4 places in the first and 6 in the second.

Not tips just my own picks.