Dominic Ball

A great deal was talked about today with regards to the St Johnstone result earlier in the season. The BBC summary of that game was as follows:

“This was a reminder of the tactical and organisational nous of Wright and the extent of the work that remains to be done by Warburton. Rangers have not met a side of this hardiness or cleverness in the Championship and the hosts ran aground.”

So, did we learn our lesson? I think unquestionably yes - and Ball in midfield was the difference – he was a composed and intimidating presence the entire game in mopping up and preventing counter attacks developing from centre mid.

34 minutes ago, VladimirWeiss69 said:

Thought mckay was the only threat we had going forward tbh

Thought he was one of our main weaknesses going forward. He got plenty of the ball, has got pace and ability, but just holds on to the ball too long, which allows the oppo. to close down our players and his final ball needs to be more accurate. He is holding it so long, that the area in front of goal is so congested that no one can get through. When Wallace overlapped him, Wallace was much more effective in terms of goal threats, releasing the ball much quicker and moving on at pace to take a return pass.

Thought our best moves actually came from Miller until he went off.

We play a passing game, so the passing needs to be zippier 1, 2 touch type, otherwise defences will just close us down as Killy done today to great effect. Back to basics, let the ball do the work and in the modern game, at pace, as we witness in the top teams in the EPL every week. Leicester are currently the shining example.

In saying all that, we were still the far better team. Controlled it from beginning to end and have no worries whatsoever in taking them in the replay.

We are looking a lot stronger at the back compared to earlier in the season. Which is good. But with this slight change in formation we do not appear to be breaking with the speed that we were earlier and this allows opposition defences time to get organised.

Not a critisism as such. More an observation.

Surprised at any comments not thinking he played really well in that role for us today and is a good option for us here.  Most agree he did though, which is good.  I think the fact MW picked him out for praise says it all..

'Lee has come here with a good Kilmarnock team, but I thought our two centre-halves were strong and dominant, Dom Ball [in holding midfield] was excellent, and the full-backs maintained a good shape.

Makes our whole team far more solid. It's just a shame Holt hasn't been fit to start in there with him along with someone else. 

Going by his post match interview, Warburton appreciates how much he's done defensively for the team. Personally, once Kiernan is back, I'd keep him in the midfield over Halliday.

6 minutes ago, ben51 said:

Makes our whole team far more solid. It's just a shame Holt hasn't been fit to start in there with him along with someone else. 

Going by his post match interview, Warburton appreciates how much he's done defensively for the team. Personally, once Kiernan is back, I'd keep him in the midfield over Halliday.

Ball offers more defensively at DM but Halliday offers more offensively at DM. It's a game by game decision IMO.

3 minutes ago, AlBear85 said:

Ball offers more defensively at DM but Halliday offers more offensively at DM. It's a game by game decision IMO.

True. I just think he does the job of a CDM, whereas Halliday often leaves our CB's far too exposed. 

5 hours ago, cushynumber said:

Ball , Kiernan and Wallace i thought were excellent. I am not a fan of Wilson, but honestly could not find fault with him today. I thought we looked far better when Holt and Law came on. I would start with those two.

I agree. I think Halliday, as much as he's liked by the fans, certainly doesn't have his name written on the team sheet in permanent ink.

There are players who offer more going forward than he has in his couple of games in that position, and yes, I understand he will maybe need a run of games to get used to playing further forward, we always look more effective with Holt and Law in my opinion.

That being said Halliday wasn't exactly poor or anything.

5 hours ago, VladimirWeiss69 said:

Thought mckay was the only threat we had going forward tbh

Like McKay but th MOTM was about as ridiculous as the Tav award last week, sme 90 year old woman again.  McKay actually gave the ball away do often today I lost out unusual for him.  

Ball, Kiernan and Wilson all played well today, wish Wilson's header had gone in.