Andy Little "I was in tears leaving the club"

DeanMK

An article in the DR of him talking about his time at Rangers. One of the many McCoist screw ups as he done so well in Div 3, he was then constantly played out of position the following season to then be released. It made it even worse when we offered Kyle Hutton a new contract. Always felt bad for him. Hopefully he gets his career back on track. 

http://www.<No links to this website>/sport/football/football-news/former-rangers-star-andy-little-7670998#EGyShf8kOkAgyIv8.97

THE ex-Ibrox striker says he'll be delighted if Rangers seal promotion although he admits he will be envious of those who get to play.

ANDY LITTLE was in at the beginning and got to the halfway point. How he wishes he could have completed the four-year journey that may terminate in Kirkcaldy this afternoon.

Little grabbed the equalising goal in the last minute of Rangers’ first league game in Division Three, at Peterhead, in August 2012. Five months earlier, he’d scored in a 3-2 win over Celtic at a pulsating, packed-out Ibrox. Both are memories that will last a lifetime for different reasons.

The Northern Ireland international was cut loose by Ally McCoist after the second year of what Rangers believed would be a canter through the divisions and back to the big time. Hearts made sure they’d have to wait a year longer than planned but if Little’s former team beats Raith Rovers today and Hibs don’t win in Paisley, the Ibrox club will have reached the Premiership.

The Preston North End attacker, who is currently on loan at Accrington Stanley, will be thrilled for them, and in particular for lads like Barrie McKay, who scored the first goal in that 2-2 draw at Peterhead and will be there when Rangers get back to where they want to be.

McKay, and Lee Wallace, now captain and who stayed while so many jumped ship, have Little’s unstinting admiration. 

As for the player himself, he didn’t jump. He was shoved overboard in May 2014 and it hurts to this day.

“I was absolutely gutted,” he recalled. “I was in tears leaving the club because I didn’t expect it to happen. I was getting the vibe all season that I would be offered a new deal but a few things changed.

“The board was changing at the time and the likes of Kenny Miller and Kris Boyd became available. If I was going to be replaced by anyone, I suppose those are two absolute legends at the club.

“When I got released, I was gutted but when I heard that those two boys were coming in I found it easier to accept.

“Ally told me the news. We played the final game away to Dunfermline on the Saturday and I had been expecting to have the contract in front of me a couple of months before that, but I didn’t say much because I presumed it was coming.

“I got a few feelings towards the last weeks of the season that perhaps it wouldn’t be coming, but I was still hoping."

“The gaffer called me in on the Tuesday after the last game and said he’d love to keep me but he had to make decisions that were partly budget related. Obviously having the chance to bring in those two lads played a huge part in his decision as well.

“I had been there eight seasons. I’m a massive fan now having spent so long there. I know I left on good terms and the fans were absolutely brilliant with me.

“It’s hard to beat that feeling of having been a Rangers player and having been accepted by the Rangers fans. That’s something I cherish and I will always go back there.

“It looks like that was the best spell of my career. I scored a goal against Celtic in an Old Firm match and I’ve got a photo of that which I will keep for ever.

“Nobody will ever be able to take that away from me. It’s something I am pretty proud of."

7 minutes ago, weshallnotbemoved! said:

Turning circle of an aircraft carrier. He went from bad to worse

What did you think of Barrie at the same time as Andy was in the squad? 

He may have limited ability but he was always played out of position, which didn't help. Craig Moore was a terrible right back but pretty decent as a centre back. 

32 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

Pity it didn't work out better for Andy. He has always seemed like a nice guy. Would have been interesting to see if MW could have gotten more out of him.

Hope he has a decent career. 

Well when you consider what he's done with McKay it really makes you wonder about a lot of the players we've have the  past few years.

I imagine some would shine and others just wouldn't be offered a contract. I really like how Mr Warburton handles things, if little did tear up and was passionate then he likely would've checked a few boxes for Mr Warburton.

I liked the lad. I thought that he might've made a decent goal scoring centre forward for us. He doesn't have bags of skill on the ball, but I was hoping  that he'd be a bit Boyd like, and score for fun, in the lower leagues, gradually upping his game as we progressed through the leagues.

However McCoist never saw him as an out'n'out centre forward, and played him out wide most games, which meant that he never really got the chance to shine in front of goals.

8 minutes ago, Thewhitesettler said:

I liked the lad. I thought that he might've made a decent goal scoring centre forward for us. He doesn't have bags of skill on the ball, but I was hoping  that he'd be a bit Boyd like, and score for fun, in the lower leagues, gradually upping his game as we progressed through the leagues.

However McCoist never saw him as an out'n'out centre forward, and played him out wide most games, which meant that he never really got the chance to shine in front of goals.

Aye, it was a horrifying decision when he could've had Barrie McKay on the right and little through the middle. But instead he kept rotating Little and Peralta on the right. The mind boggles.

Just now, gazza27 said:

Fuck me ally and a budget :lol:.

he seems a honest hard working lad,he was decent for us nothing more

Totally agree, never really felt that he was ever going to be a genuinely exciting consistent first team goal scorer. There was always something missing. Same level of ability as Steven Thompson.

35 minutes ago, Jack The Flipper said:

Totally agree, never really felt that he was ever going to be a genuinely exciting consistent first team goal scorer. There was always something missing. Same level of ability as Steven Thompson.

Another player who scored goals and never let us down 

wouldn't have been on ridiculous wages a james beattie or egil ostenstaad would have been on 

He never jumped ship and was proud to play for our club, gutted to leave.  All the best with your future playing career.  Grab a ticket for title party at Ibrox on Tuesday and celebrate with your fellow fans.  WATP

6 minutes ago, Vwbear said:

Another player who scored goals and never let us down 

wouldn't have been on ridiculous wages a james beattie or egil ostenstaad would have been on 

Add franny jeffers to the list 

between 

jeffers ostenstaad beattie not 1 league goal but players like little and Thompson are getting called just decent and accrington is littles level ?