Joey Barton Talksport

ara

JB statements as close as I could note:

"Rangers FC is a phenomenal opportunity-I saw the semi final, loved the management team and was just blown away by the size and history of this football club.

Im not being disrespectful to anyone else but the Old Firm is one of the few games that the whole football world stops for. Very few games are on this scale - maybe Real v Barca -games that stop the world.

You have to come up to experience the size of the club- few clubs have anything like this - maybe Liverpool or Man U. The Hall of Fame board is amazing and seeing Bill Struth's picture reminds you of the history of Rangers.

I'm really looking forward to it and want to come up to win titles and trophies.Rangers has a winning culture. I want to work to be the best player in the county and there are some really good players. It's a challenge I'm looking forward to.

It wasn't an easy decision as I'm turning my back on EPL football with Klopp, Guardiola and Mourinho. But I'm up for this challenge -I just felt the time and opportunity was right-sometimes you can stay a bit too long st a party and there might have been a danger of that at Burnley- but I've had a great time and made some great friends there."

AD asked if he remembers criticising Scottish football a while ago:

"I've no idea what I said really - but that's not surprising as I've probably upset the whole universe at one time or another! I've said something about everyone!, but i don't take myself too seriously anymore."

AD asks about the hatred between Celtic and Rangers abd how being outspoken could be a problem, with his high Twitter profile etc

"I've organically reigned myself back over the past year or two just because I've mellowed a little as I've gotten a bit older and wiser. But football is a game of opinions and I've got mine - I just choose when and where a bit more carefully these days"

AD confirmed that he'll still be commentating with the Talksport team at The Euros this summer, which he says he still is (my missus would kick my ass if we were moving house and I was off to the Euros).

As an aside I reckon his wider UK media presence and networks could be helpful to RFC if managed well.

Hope I got most of it captured for you there ...

He also said it looks like he'll have the No.8 shirt and the last British guy to wear that for us was a certain Mr Gascoigne. So he had huge boots to fill but if he achieves even a quarter of the status Gazza had he would've had an amazingly successful time at Rangers. 

This boy is gonna win over doubters in a heartbeat. (tu) 

2 minutes ago, JR said:

He also said it looks like he'll have the No.8 shirt and the last British guy to wear that for us was a certain Mr Gascoigne. So he had huge boots to fill but if he achieves even a quarter of the status Gazza had he would've had an amazingly successful time at Rangers. 

This boy is gonna win over doubters in a heartbeat. (tu) 

I assume you mean English?

Or are you just choosing to forget that once upon a time Ian Black "played" for us. 

1 hour ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Black may have worn the jersey, he never played for us.

take it further... Black may have had on a Rangers jersey while on the park but he never wore the jersey.

6 hours ago, ara said:

JB statements as close as I could note:

"Rangers FC is a phenomenal opportunity-I saw the semi final, loved the management team and was just blown away by the size and history of this football club.

Im not being disrespectful to anyone else but the Old Firm is one of the few games that the whole football world stops for. Very few games are on this scale - maybe Real v Barca -games that stop the world.

You have to come up to experience the size of the club- few clubs have anything like this - maybe Liverpool or Man U. The Hall of Fame board is amazing and seeing Bill Struth's picture reminds you of the history of Rangers.

I'm really looking forward to it and want to come up to win titles and trophies.Rangers has a winning culture. I want to work to be the best player in the county fb and there are some really good players. It's a challenge I'm looking forward to.

It wasn't an easy decision as I'm turning my back on EPL football with Klopp, Guardiola and Mourinho. But I'm up for this challenge -I just felt the time and opportunity was right-sometimes you can stay a bit too long st a party and there might have been a danger of that at Burnley- but I've had a great time and made some great friends there."

AD asked if he remembers criticising Scottish football a while ago:

"I've no idea what I said really - but that's not surprising as I've probably upset the whole universe at one time or another! I've said something about everyone!, but i don't take myself too seriously anymore."

AD asks about the hatred between Celtic and Rangers abd how being outspoken could be a problem, with his high Twitter profile etc

"I've organically reigned myself back over the past year or two just because I've mellowed a little as I've gotten a bit older and wiser. But football is a game of opinions and I've got mine - I just choose when and where a bit more carefully these days"

AD confirmed that he'll still be commentating with the Talksport team at The Euros this summer, which he says he still is (my missus would kick my ass if we were moving house and I was off to the Euros).

As an aside I reckon his wider UK media presence and networks could be helpful to RFC if managed well.

Hope I got most of it captured for you there ...

Didn't know Joey was a flutist too...the Motherwell County FB are immense!!!

Just listened to Joey Barton's Talksport interview and thought he came over very well. Wasn't sure about his signing,  but having listened to him, impressed by his attitude and also intelligence. I think he's going to do really well with us. Welcome Joey to the best club in the world!