We've still to add more quality to this squad

Gaz52

9 minutes ago, GMac said:

Think some players, Forrester in particular, are trying a bit too hard to impress rather than simply do the job. Think that will soon settle down. Trying too hard, who would have thought that 2 or 3 years ago.

Good point - perhaps that's why he was an irregular starter at Doncaster. Needs to get over that because, let's face it, EVERY game is an event when you're lucky enough to play for us - some handle it, better players than him haven't.

But you're right, I'd far rather players were trying too hard, than pitching up here & thinking they've made it.

We are definitely on the right road, but we are still a few bits of quality short of having the right to 'expect' to win things, as per the Rangers way.

I'm keeping expectation realistic. Winning the league will be a mammoth task against a team with 4yrs and several million pounds spent head start. It's not impossible.

Was brilliant seeing the likes of Barton and Kranjcar at Ibrox last night. We have the capabilities of destroying sides in Scotland this season, I can send that already. Whether we will be able o consistently win like Rangers should is another thing.

Obvious grounds for optimism. Warburton and co have done a terrific job so far.

The feelgood factor should never be underestimated, the whole club top to tail have a bounce in their step, its been a long time coming ( fuck me think back to the darkest days when we were even wondering if we would have a club to support) now its turned full circle thanks to a bit of outside the box thinking by the board giving Warburton and his team a blank canvas to do it properly after 4 years of shambles.

8 hours ago, THE_Ibrox_Preacher said:

I think what's most encouraging is that we are clearly not near top gear thus far in any of these games.

What's most concerning is that we still, rather than cut a team apart with a killer ball quickly, tap it around 30 yards from goal and allow the opposition to defend with 10; then when we make the chances, too many guilt edged ones are not taken. Against the top teams week in week out this could become a real problem, particularly as you'll have teams like Aberdeen that will play the best game of their lives against us then the following week lose 3-0 to St Johnstone.

We need a better CB than Wilson/Kiernan and he should have pace and be able to command better than them too as we can't be too reliant on Hill playing brilliant in every dept. for a whole season. We all know that, though. 

In terms of a forward I think with the players we have, the increase in possession/service that should see, we don't need an obvious 30 goals man but I do feel that with the crossing ability we have a 6 foot 3" CF/target man that scores frequently with his head and who muscles space when given the ball, will give us a hugely important alternative to things up front; no matter how good you are Plan A doesn't always work and when it fails someone to head home a cross/set-piece could be all the difference.

We'll have to see what the manager goes for and what actually happens but we're pretty much a good CB away from a challenge at least (assuming they don't go out and sign internationals to ensure victory).

In the meantime amuse yourselves with the Aberdeen fans predictions for the season ->  http://boards.footymad.net/showthread.php?t=38163963

I'm not sure I completely buy the CB argument as I think part of the weakness there is the fullbacks bombing on SNPs that Barnton / Rossiter will help protect them - I do think we could so with an alternate option up front. 

The teams in the league this year will at least try to have a go - which should leave more space.

but it sure is exciting to think about. 

I have been so excited by the quality of play and the new signings so far. They have made some of last seasons heroes look very average and unlikely to get many games and I can't wait til the league starts and everyone has to fight for their shirt.

BUT (and I will probably get slated for being negative) we still waste far too many chances with the final ball and it frustrates the hell out of me. 

Victories against these teams we have played so far should be gimmes. They really should have been landslides tbh. 

Roll on 6th August. Can't wait :21:

10 hours ago, HG5 said:

Hope so.

Lots of positives to build on, but we really must make sure that's what we do.

Folk will say 'wait til we gel', but they said that last year. 

We were never really better than in the first 2 months of the season, apart from Xmas v Hivs & the scum game.

I wouldn't like to see us turn into a sort of 'blue Arsenal'.

That was the weird thing last season our early form was when we were at our best, hopefully, this year especially away we are more consistent and get stronger as the season progresses,

3 hours ago, Bluepeter9 said:

I'm not sure I completely buy the CB argument as I think part of the weakness there is the fullbacks bombing on SNPs that Barnton / Rossiter will help protect them - I do think we could so with an alternate option up front. 

The teams in the league this year will at least try to have a go - which should leave more space.

but it sure is exciting to think about. 

Freudian Slip ;)

From time to time, I reflect on the misery that our loyal support have been through the last few years.  Watching our current team play and having the opportunity to see genuine footballers represent our club, listening to our management team and soaking in the atmosphere and the feel good factor around Ibrox, honestly, almost brings me to tears.  I have never felt so emotional, must be getting old or something, or close to my Club than I do now.  I really cannot wait for the season to start.  If we have still to add quality to this tame then it Augers well for the future, our club will continue to prosper in this environment.