Andy Halliday

EMRFC

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, EMRFC said:

So, can someone explain to me why they don't want Andy Halliday starting for us? Because I would start him every game.

At this moment in time he's better than Rossiter. 

Based on what?

6 minutes ago, EMRFC said:

So, can someone explain to me why they don't want Andy Halliday starting for us? Because I would start him every game.

The issue should not be about whether he is better than Rossister or not, and Rossister looks a top player in the making, but what he gives to the team on his own merit. I agree with you that Halliday should start, but not because of anything to do with Rossiter, but by what he gives to the whole team in his performances.

3 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

The issue should not be about whether he is better than Rossister or not, and Rossister looks a top player in the making, but what he gives to the team on his own merit. I agree with you that Halliday should start, but not because of anything to do with Rossiter, but by what he gives to the whole team in his performances.

Yes but I'm seeing a lot of people saying Rossiter ahead of Halliday which I don't agree with.

2 minutes ago, EMRFC said:

Yes but I'm seeing a lot of people saying Rossiter ahead of Halliday which I don't agree with.

It's probably because he has impressed people and three into four won't go. I would start Halliday every time. He and Barton have been very good, and appear to work well together. 

8 minutes ago, Mr Soprano said:

(tu)

To say one is better than the other without seeing a great deal of Rossiter at all is foolish.

I'm no agreeing or disagreeing with him, I just want to know how he can say Halliday is the better player.  Has he seen a lot of Rossiter? 

1 minute ago, Turnberry18 said:

We need Kiernan to succeed because we don't have many other options. I'd start with him for a bit longer. He wasn't completely to blame for what happened against Burnley.

Hill was worse than Kiernan on Saturday but is getting a fraction of the criticism.

3 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Hill was worse than Kiernan on Saturday but is getting a fraction of the criticism.

I'm not a fan of Hill, but I am willing to give him time. The criticism of Kiernan is unfair in my opinion; he definitely is not to blame for all the errors in defence either. Once Barton gets more settled we will see this defence improve. Among the criticism the performance of Barton, Halliday, and Mckay should give us great cause for optimism. We are not as bad as some of us think.

8 minutes ago, GOAT said:

I'm no agreeing or disagreeing with him, I just want to know how he can say Halliday is the better player.  Has he seen a lot of Rossiter? 

I've watched a bit of Rossiter, few games at Liverpool, couple of games for England U19s and the very little game time with us. I'm not saying it's absolute fact that Halliday is better but in my opinion if it came down to a choice between Halliday and Rossiter, Halliday would be the better option. 

In a few years however, Rossiter will be one of our best players.

1 minute ago, EMRFC said:

I've watched a bit of Rossiter, few games at Liverpool, couple of games for England U19s and the very little game time with us. I'm not saying it's absolute fact that Halliday is better but in my opinion if it came down to a choice between Halliday and Rossiter, Halliday would be the better option. 

In a few years however, Rossiter will be one of our best players.

A few years? Rossiter is one of our better players right now. We have a real gem there.

People tend to think that because they are new signings they must start. Halliday has been one of best performers in pre season and is coming off the back of a decent season last year. That being said, Rossiter has impressed me so far and I think he'll become a key player as the season goes on.

Just now, jackrfc95 said:

People tend to think that because they are new signings they must start. Halliday has been one of best performers in pre season and is coming off the back of a decent season last year. That being said, Rossiter has impressed me so far and I think he'll become a key player as the season goes on.

Absolutely.

8 minutes ago, EMRFC said:

The reason they say they don't want Halliday is because that's their opinion; while at the same time your opinion is that he is better than Rossiter at this moment in time.

There's your explanation, young fella. :pipe:

8 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Both of them were bad. Kiernan does it on a gamely basis though with the odd solid game (the taigs). We can't just keep persisting with someone like that, they do it with Ambrose and look like mugs.

Hill and Kiernan should never be a partnership, it has to be Wilson and Hill if MW is going to persist with Hill.

I thought Halliday would be a definite drop and wondered how often we would see him this season with the competition for places in the midfield very high, However he has stepped up in the league cup thought he was one of our best players over the 4 games puts a hell of a work in. Looked a lot more natural playing forward as opposed to when he was sitting in last season. He isn't going to give up the jersey easily so up to somebody to go out and win it off him.

Also on Halliday he get's some unfair criticism on here, he's a quality player who spent all of last season playing in a position alien to him and in large doing a solid job.

You can clearly see when he's played further up the park with no defensive restrictions on him he's a dangerous and tidy player.

1 minute ago, The Godfather said:

Both of them were bad. Kiernan does it on a gamely basis though with the odd solid game (the taigs). We can't just keep persisting with someone like that, they do it with Ambrose and look like mugs.

Hill and Kiernan should never be a partnership, it has to be Wilson and Hill if MW is going to persist with Hill.

We need to though, we don't have a choice. I would like to see this defence in four matches time with Barton in front of him. For the first time Warburton's system is beginning to look good when it comes to the shape of the back three when we are in attack.

Just now, Turnberry18 said:

We need to though, we don't have a choice. I would like to see this defence in four matches time with Barton in front of him. For the first time Warburton's system is beginning to look good when it comes to the shape of the back three when we are in attack.

We do have a choice, go out and bring in a decent CB. We still have time albeit not a lot.

Persisting with Kiernan wont bring us a title, he's too much of a liability. These early games are key and if King really expects us to get to the top spot he will need to realise we need players to do so.

One of the most telling factors this season is going to be the relationship between Barton and Halliday; they look completely on the same wavelength. After the past few matches, that is what excites me most. Our midfield, once it gets together more, will be very strong no matter who we play.