Andy Halliday

EMRFC

It's hard to be critical of Halliday such is his passion and no lack of ability but after watching him for a year I don't know his best position and think he may be jack of all master of none .  One thing for sure though is that he and Kiernan have the backing of Warburton and will start most games.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

We do have a choice, go out and bring in a decent CB. We still have time albeit not a lot.

Persisting with Kiernan wont bring us a title, he's too much of a liability. These early games are key and if King really expects us to get to the top spot he will need to realise we need players to do so.

If it could be done then I would agree it should be done, but I have my doubts that we can do that.

10 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

Also on Halliday he get's some unfair criticism on here, he's a quality player who spent all of last season playing in a position alien to him and in large doing a solid job.

You can clearly see when he's played further up the park with no defensive restrictions on him he's a dangerous and tidy player.

(tu)

Some people say he's only so highly rated because he's a Rangers fan but I think that's a bit unfair.

I think he's a really decent midfielder. Adds balance because he's left sided, has a bit of dig about him and is a decent goal threat too.

12 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

Both of them were bad. Kiernan does it on a gamely basis though with the odd solid game (the taigs). We can't just keep persisting with someone like that, they do it with Ambrose and look like mugs.

Hill and Kiernan should never be a partnership, it has to be Wilson and Hill if MW is going to persist with Hill.

Ideally I think it should be Wilson, who is nowhere near as bad as people make out, and a new signing but looking at what we have at the moment I'd prefer it to be Kiernan & Wilson.

Hill should be fourth choice at best.

Sorry, Halliday shouldn't be in the team.

Apart from the last 20 minutes on Saturday when he was pushed further forward I find him to be a liability. He takes 4 or 5 touches when 1 would suffice; he isn't strong enough a player to play in the central midfield position; he constantly holds the play up; for all the times that ball is laid out to him around the box, he never seems to be in quite the right position to shoot - WTF?

But if he is to be played further up the pitch, who is dropped? Barrie? Waghorn? Forrester? Windass? Miller?

the bench at best for me.

2 minutes ago, MaddistonKnight said:

Sorry, Halliday shouldn't be in the team.

Apart from the last 20 minutes on Saturday when he was pushed further forward I find him to be a liability. He takes 4 or 5 touches when 1 would suffice; he isn't strong enough a player to play in the central midfield position; he constantly holds the play up; for all the times that ball is laid out to him around the box, he never seems to be in quite the right position to shoot - WTF?

But if he is to be played further up the pitch, who is dropped? Barrie? Waghorn? Forrester? Windass? Miller?

the bench at best for me.

Can't agree with that, feel like we are watching two different teams going on the above.

Also Forrester hasn't kicked a ball all pre season, he's looked well short and maybe that's down to coming back from injury but if anyone is to be dropped I'd be dropping him.

29 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

We need Kiernan to succeed because we don't have many other options. I'd start with him for a bit longer. He wasn't completely to blame for what happened against Burnley.

If that clown hadn't played in the cup final then we wouldn't have lost and i wouldn't have spent the summer with the hump  and i wouldn't have this grudge against him.

By the way the cup final was just one of numerous fuck ups by him in defence. 

Just now, The Godfather said:

Can't agree with that, feel like we are watching two different teams going on the above.

Also Forrester hasn't kicked a ball all pre season, he's looked well short and maybe that's down to coming back from injury but if anyone is to be dropped I'd be dropping him.

No problem with comment regards Forrester.

I just think Halliday is overrated. Some people talk about his shooting ability, but he almost never takes a shot. And as I say, he takes 4 or 5 touches before a pass which just gives the opposition another second or so to compose themselves -  he may pass it on to another Ger, but why didn't he do it first time? Watching Barton, he tends to release the ball quicker, which highlights my observation.

As an aside, the whole team have looked relatively sound in the first 4 games. It was only against Burnley were we have come a bit of a cropper, but many are forgetting about the decent performances when crucifying one or two of the players after Saturday. I thought Halliday was decent later in the game after the subs were made (when pushed further forward), but not up to much prior to that point. 

28 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

Both of them were bad. Kiernan does it on a gamely basis though with the odd solid game (the taigs). We can't just keep persisting with someone like that, they do it with Ambrose and look like mugs.

Hill and Kiernan should never be a partnership, it has to be Wilson and Hill if MW is going to persist with Hill.

Hill should only be a back up the guy is past it no pace whatsoever

5 minutes ago, Zulu said:

Hill should only be a back up the guy is past it no pace whatsoever

Agreed. Probably going to get pelters for saying it but I think Wilson and Kiernan deserve a crack at it as in certain games last season they showed they're capable of raising their game.

Another decent CB brought in would be nice however.

Guest Lloyd72

Halliday should be a squad player at most this year. Our other midfielders are far better imo I'd love the guy to prove me wrong but I just can't see it happening. 

47 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

I don't think it was any coincidence that kiernans best games last year came when Ball was playing 

Halliday has been solid in pre-season and I think has earned a start on Saturday. I think some don't want to see Halliday play purely because he isn't a glamorous new signing. Although to compare him to Rossiter is a tad difficult at this point in time as I'd imagine the majority of us haven't seen a lot of him. Although he does look a cracking player and will more than likely be superb for us (tu) 

25 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

Suppose his goal in the first game of the season vs hibs and his goal in the last game of the season vs hibs was prime examples of him not being in the right position to shoot.

If he gets it on his preferred foot he will have a dig , obviously that is only natural but sometimes a hit and hope can cause more bother if you keep it low and on target then anything can happen in the box , a rebound , a deflection etc  , than what is sometimes seems like over passing the ball around the oppositions packed box , but the whole team is guilty of that and not just halliday who I also agree deserves to start on the back of pre season performances 

For those saying Halliday should be dropped/squad player etc... I'd like to know what else he could have done last season and in the pre season games this season to prove he should be in the team?

In my opinion he had a great season last year considering he played the vast majority of it out of position.

We need 1 of the midfielders to be able to run at the opposition, pick the ball up and drive at them, make late runs into the box.

That's not Halliday, or Rossiter.

We have a lot of options for the midfield 3 and the manager needs to find the right balance between them.