The late, great George Best

Rediscovered how good George Best was through some videos on YouTube.  I say "rediscovered" since bears of a certain vintage will recall the highlights (and lowlights) of his life and career.  I had forgotten what an extremely fast player he was who had fab ball control.  In total he spent about six years at the top with a couple of absences/long weekends.  Not sure if he would have been such a hit with the way the game is currently played with so much more passing than dribbling.  Even saw one goal he scored with his head.

Best came across as a fairly thoughtful and articulate individual in the hour-long interview I also watched and he discussed how much more money he actually made outside of football during his career.  I did not know that there is an airport named after him nor that he had a liver transplant late in life.  Sad.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Best for all his talent only had a very short time at the top, Where does he compare to pro's like Ronaldo, Messi , Zidaine etc who did it year in year out.

The guy ruined his career, marriage's all through drink, he ended up skint and took to working on Sky sports ffs.

And yes I heard he like the Gers but he also played for HIV, 

He must have been pissed when he signed that contract ??

If George Best was playing in the modern game he'd be the best in the world the guy was a genius aye he ruined himself through drink back then but today's players are brought up differently with the right guidance he'd be a super star. With the protection modern players get Best would be sensational, as would many of the skillful players of that generation the kicking's those guys took back then was shocking it was nothing but out and out thuggery they would thrive in today's game.