Johansson has his say.

Many Rangers supporters would like to see Warburton, who remarked last season that his Plan B was “to do Plan A better”, revert to route one football at times.

But Johansson, the Finnish internationalist who played at Ibrox in the Nine-In-A-Row and Dick Advocaat eras, believes goals will come if the Englishman keeps faith his system.

“Rangers have only scored eight goals in seven games in the Premiership which is obviously not enough for a club of their size,” he said.

“Everybody has been jumping on Rangers, but I think that is harsh to judge them after just seven games of the season. The tactics worked well last season and will again.

“The Rangers strikers are good enough to start scoring goals. It comes down to one thing – not getting frustrated about it.

“After being away from the top flight for so many years it was never going to be smooth sailing. They have only played seven games.”

Johansson added: “Every manager has a philosophy, a way he wants his team to play. Mark wants his team to play from the back, retain possession and produce nice football.

“It also has a lot to do with the personnel you have available. He might not be able to swap it around with the players that he has."

Source: Evening Times.

Like all former pro's he's saying something without saying anything and hedging his bets by saying on one hand the tactics will come good and will work but then again it has a lot to do with the personnel we have available and might not being able to swap it around with these players.

Thanks for the wonderful insight, Jonathon.

4 minutes ago, OhW said:

I wonder how much of our games some of these ex-players actually watch.

Exactly. I think he stays here cos his wife is from Port Glasgow.

But he's obviously promoting something and been asked a question. He's not taken the time himself to come out with this statement just been asked and given a generic simple answer.

50 minutes ago, Drunk and disorderly. said:

Many Rangers supporters would like to see Warburton, who remarked last season that his Plan B was “to do Plan A better”, revert to route one football at times. 

An overused quote by the press. There is nothing wrong with MW saying that he wants the team to get it right first time.

But Johansson, the Finnish internationalist who played at Ibrox in the Nine-In-A-Row and Dick Advocaat eras, believes goals will come if the Englishman keeps faith his system.

Agreed, but he has not factored in Rangers being predictable to our opponents under one system

“Rangers have only scored eight goals in seven games in the Premiership which is obviously not enough for a club of their size,” he said.

It's not good enough and I think the team would agree with the fans

“Everybody has been jumping on Rangers, but I think that is harsh to judge them after just seven games of the season. The tactics worked well last season and will again.

Yes, it is harsh to judge the team after 7 games. as a fan I think it's fair to say I want the team to achieve at least 2nd place and European qualification. If we do drop any lower in the table we need to address the system as we do not want to go back to the championship league. 

“The Rangers strikers are good enough to start scoring goals. It comes down to one thing – not getting frustrated about it.

On paper they are good enough, but Rangers have yet to see it. You could clearly see the frustration on Garners face, he could have faced a booking a few times for is actions. He was lucky. I don't think the EPL players have acclimatised to the way Scottish football is played. 

“After being away from the top flight for so many years it was never going to be smooth sailing. They have only played seven games.”

I don't know anyone that thinks we would have walked this league.

Johansson added: “Every manager has a philosophy, a way he wants his team to play. Mark wants his team to play from the back, retain possession and produce nice football.

It's great that MW has that philosophy for nice football, but MW needs to be aware of the opposition that he can play that nice football with. Some opponents will play ugly to win the game.  

“It also has a lot to do with the personnel you have available. He might not be able to swap it around with the players that he has."

It does have a lot to do with the personnel, they play the games. Imho MW is trying find out who his team A are and who works well with whom for his system to work. But for me I would like to see a team B with different tactics and formation then adopt it to what opposition we're playing

Source: Evening Times.

2 hours ago, johanhentze said:

He does co commentating on Rangers TV sometimes, so he does watch Rangers. 

Like us, he'll be driven to distraction by Tom Miller's inane commentary.

Probably clouds his recollection & judgement....

1 minute ago, Jack The Flipper said:

He seemed a bit lightweight at times, but I always thought he was an ok player, though definitely not a brilliant player.

Same. He was average at best IMO. An OK finisher playing in a really good team - nothing more nothing less.

2 minutes ago, teddybears1872 said:

He was a player you could rely on, Got that goal when needed. Always gave 100% in any game I seen him in.

Still, I'd rather have a player like lovenkrands and it's not outwith reality to expect we could sign someone like him again.

Just now, K.A.I said:

Yeah I agree - he was OK .. did us a turn, scored some good goals and a nice wee 3 million fee. Good business all round IMO.

He had a decent record for Charlton as well. Remember he scored a double or hat trick against Chelsea on Boxing Day.

4 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Yeah I agree - he was OK .. did us a turn, scored some good goals and a nice wee 3 million fee. Good business all round IMO.