Shota Arveladze: how did we all rate him

IIRC he outscored Henrik Larsson in each of the seasons they both played in Holland, he moves to us and we play him as an outside left most of the time. Go figure.

I also remember something about him being third in line to the Georgian throne (if they still had a monarchy).

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smashing player and was very effective for us, contrary to previous contributions. Part of the reason he didn't play up front all the time is that we had the likes of Novo, Prso, Mols, De Boer and Flo during his time. He could play wide effectively, so he did much of the time, partly to accommodate other players that were very effective for us.

Several classes above what we have today.

4 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Smashing player and was very effective for us, contrary to previous contributions. Part of the reason he didn't play up front all the time is that we had the likes of Novo, Prso, Mols, De Boer and Flo during his time. He could play wide effectively, so he did much of the time, partly to accommodate other players that were very effective for us.

Several classes above what we have today.

Puts it into a bit of perspective that he would arguably be head and shoulders ahead of everyone in this league, yet some on this thread said he was shit :lol:. Shows how much Scottish football has fallen 

Just now, WGOH said:

Puts it into a bit of perspective that he would arguably be head and shoulders ahead of everyone in this league, yet some on this thread said he was shit :lol:. Shows how much Scottish football has fallen 

Yup. Would easily be the best player in the league just now.

2 hours ago, MacBoyd said:

Decent player but lacked something. If he actually did cost 8m he was shocking 

No, WE were shocking for paying it. Shota Arveladze is the player he was regardless.

Don't buy that we paid that for him anyway.

19 hours ago, smell the glove said:

And a really good midfielder at that. Good enough to get all nine in a row medals.

It's not easy playing for us.

Ask Barton, senderos, boli, flo, mikilahenko, capucho, van vossen,  Johnas Thern, Amato. I could go on.

Not rangers fault they didn't perform

...prick

4 hours ago, Copland bear said:

Fuck knows where the OP sits at the games, but the fans loved him, I Remeber he scored a cracker against the tims in extra time in the league cup at Ibrox, we broke away from our own goal up the Copland and  he finished it off at the other end.

Did we abuse him then?   Lovenkrands got slated more ffs 

Aye, the fans were very fond of him. His quirky, happy character helped that too. Seemed like a real good guy as well as a good player.

19 hours ago, danger ranger said:

Rangers under performed, it's the Rangers way, buy good players then waste them, it's interesting to note he went to Holland and was their leagues top scorer for two seasons and just like this season we can hardly buy a goal even after signing a proper centre forward. I was watching Ian Ferguson video last night, a creative forward player of the highest calibre and Rangers turned him into a midfield defensive player, only at Rangers.

Aye, and 336 appearances, 10 league titles and an induction to the club Hall of Fame later, we can all only shake our heads in disbelief at the damage that caused to his career prospects.

10 hours ago, TheLoudenTavernier said:

Heard that a couple of years ago. Apparently it was said in some court case that we actually paid close to £8m for him.

Don't think it was ever confirmed.

Even if it was £8m it was money well spent. He was a quality player, even when he left he scored a lot for AZ. He was the top scorer in one of the Uefa Cup seasons IIRC.

6 minutes ago, G.E.C. said:

Even if it was £8m it was money well spent. He was a quality player, even when he left he scored a lot for AZ. He was the top scorer in one of the Uefa Cup seasons IIRC.

Tbf, other than his agent making the claim, I don't think there was ever anything to back it up.

11 minutes ago, TheLoudenTavernier said:

Tbf, other than his agent making the claim, I don't think there was ever anything to back it up.

Aye. Need more evidence than a lawyer mentioning it in passing once.

Instinct says it's bullshit.

6 hours ago, The Beast said:

IIRC he outscored Henrik Larsson in each of the seasons they both played in Holland, he moves to us and we play him as an outside left most of the time. Go figure.

I also remember something about him being third in line to the Georgian throne (if they still had a monarchy).

Don't think they ever played in Holland at the same time. I'm sure Arveladze joined Ajax just as Larsson joined the tarriers.

On 10/9/2016 at 11:24 PM, danger ranger said:

Rangers nullified him, one of the best centre forwards in football and was rubbish at Rangers, that seems to be a recurring theme at rangers.

57 goals in 132 games which is a 43.18% strike rate hardly nullified is it ?