bordersbear

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, BLUEDIGNITY said:

The most treasured Rangers momento I've got my Son with The Man in the treatment room at Ibrox !:sherlock:

image.jpeg

Right to left Bomber, Junior BD who must now be mid 30's hopefully with his own junior bears, Cooper but who is the bouncer on the left?

edit, is that John McGregor??

I may have said this probably once before but the wing players this club has had been just amazing

A .Morton ,W.Waddell , W. Johnstone, D.Cooper, T.Mc Minn. B.Laudrup. Kanchelskis .N.Mc Cann ,

Not naming others that have played in that position - and  were many times the buissness

A good friend (and Celtic supporter) always maintained that Cooper never played particularly well against them.  I've seen a very hazy video of a cracker he scored in an Old Firm cup final (Glasgow Cup, 1979 I think) but I only knew of Cooper from a distance and saw him play once or twice only.  Lovely photo in the thread.

The best performance I seen from Coop was a league cup sectional game in the early 1980's. It was against Kilmarnock at rugby pk. We won 6-1 that night and Davie got 4 goals and an assist. He was unplayable that evening. Some others will mention that Tampere game in the UEFA Cup too, he was great that night too. 

One thing about coop was he did have games where he was anonymous. I always thought that because he played on the wing he would get doubled up on and trapped in a cul de sac. He went to Motherwell and Tommy McLean stuck him in the middle of the park and built a team round him. He then played 360 degree football . He could turn anywhere, play a pass, dribble, one twos etc. and won the Scottish cup with them. 

I would really like Barry McKay to get some games in there as a number 10 and see how he gets on. Barry has a good shot and underestimated passing ability (no I'm not comparing him to Coop) but I would still like to see him in there. 

3 minutes ago, BlueboyG said:

Was lucky enough to watched Coop for years, but overall Brian Laudrup was all round class and gets my vote.

If coop had genuine  pace he would have been better than Laudrup. For me that was the difference. Ask Ruud Gullit. 

1 hour ago, Gazza1212 said:

Swear to God I heard that ball rip into the net in a packed hampden. The most stunning strike of a ball I've seen live to this day.

I was in what was then the big enclosure right behind the ball. And yes you definitely heard it WHACK into the net. 

I took my girlfriend to a game v Falkirk. We won 5-2, I think?

Cooper scored twice, one directly going in from a corned he took, and had three assists.

I asked her what she thought of her first ever football match, and she said that she thought Cooper wasn't as good as she'd heard he would be.

Very hard to please, but I've heard her tell people that she once saw the great Davie Cooper, in the flesh, and what a fantastic player he was.?

10 hours ago, The Widow's Son said:

A good friend (and Celtic supporter) always maintained that Cooper never played particularly well against them.  I've seen a very hazy video of a cracker he scored in an Old Firm cup final (Glasgow Cup, 1979 I think) but I only knew of Cooper from a distance and saw him play once or twice only.  Lovely photo in the thread.

Might be the Dryburugh cup game your thinking of. Was a peach of a goal.

14 hours ago, slimjim1690 said:

I'll probably get grief for this, but first let me say that when Cooper was in the mood he was indeed a genius, but the problem for us supporters who watched him from the beginning is that for a lot of the time he seemed to go into moods and just went through the motions, he was tremendous when he first signed for a couple of seasons but time seems to have blurred a lot of memories as he should have done a lot more with the talent that he possessed, although in his defence he was always a couple of moves ahead of his teammates at that time.

He could be a moody cunt at times, he wasn't nicknamed "the moody blue" for no reason but it wasn't until Souness took over and better players were brought in that IMO we got to see the true genius of Davie Cooper, it has always been one of my regrets supporting The Rangers that we never got to see Coops for longer than we did in a team with players who could read his game.

I did admire Cooper but my favourite #11 was wee Bud, never had Coops ability I know but I just loved the wee man.

In oder to get a better understanding J would urge you to read "Coop"  davie Cooper was as truly exceptional as any player this country has ever produced.   If he was alive and playing today he would be spoken of in the same tones as bale and Ronaldo.  Both of these,  in my opinion,  would never get close to cooper in terms of skill. 

Cooper was under used,  ostracised and generally ignored by grieg for the simple reason that grieg was not a manager,  an outstanding captain and player but not managerial material at all.  

19 hours ago, slimjim1690 said:

I'll probably get grief for this, but first let me say that when Cooper was in the mood he was indeed a genius, but the problem for us supporters who watched him from the beginning is that for a lot of the time he seemed to go into moods and just went through the motions, he was tremendous when he first signed for a couple of seasons but time seems to have blurred a lot of memories as he should have done a lot more with the talent that he possessed, although in his defence he was always a couple of moves ahead of his teammates at that time.

He could be a moody cunt at times, he wasn't nicknamed "the moody blue" for no reason but it wasn't until Souness took over and better players were brought in that IMO we got to see the true genius of Davie Cooper, it has always been one of my regrets supporting The Rangers that we never got to see Coops for longer than we did in a team with players who could read his game.

I did admire Cooper but my favourite #11 was wee Bud, never had Coops ability I know but I just loved the wee man.

I would agree with much of the post, under Greig, he was uninterested and overweight but the first thing Wallace told him was to lose weight, he did and  the performances came back and McCoist benefited.  Remember Cooper was the player who scored the equaliser against Wales to take Scotland to Mexico.

Also remember him getting sent off a few times, At parkhead 84 or 85 him and Munroe got sent off and McCoist scored a penalty late on for a 1-1 draw, it was over at the Main stand and he just turned around and took a swipe at the Celtic player and the ref had no choice. 

But what a talent but he never had the pace of a Laudrup, but his goal at Tyncastle 86-87 when he beat the full Hearts team, Hearts were unbeaten at home for 18 months but we hammered them that day