Looks like Gilks starting Sunday

Bad Robot

Who starts   

254 members have voted

1. 1. Who deserves the jersey?

• Gilks
    • Fod

6 minutes ago, Poetry_In_Blue said:

Gilks has done absolutely nothing wrong in the cup games so far so therefore he has done nothing that gives a reason to drop him.  As for comments about back up goalie, no he isn't, he is competition to Fod.

Why's he not played more in the league then? competition is what you have up front or in central defence - every club has a first choice goalkeeper and back-up it's crazy to suggest otherwise.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Turnberry18 said:

The stats don't tell everything though, and this is the strongest opponents we are ever going to play this season. For me, that means the strongest 11. This is a game that if we win it could give us a trophy. Too big a game to drop our first choice gk. This is the League Cup, which is renowned in the club's history. It's a very important game.

All games are important but Gilks has better qualities than Fod in certain areas, he marshalls the defence, he gets them into position and he is a lot more vocal, which in this game could be more important.

No player who has been playing well deserves to get dropped and in the cup he has been playing well.

1 minute ago, K.A.I said:

Why's he not played more in the league then? competition is what you have up front or in central defence - every club has a first choice goalkeeper and back-up it's crazy to suggest otherwise.

Because he has been chosen to play in the cup games, if he was only back up he wouldn't even get cup games.  If Fod was fully No1 then why ain't he playing all the cup games as well.

38 minutes ago, Poetry_In_Blue said:

All games are important but Gilks has better qualities than Fod in certain areas, he marshalls the defence, he gets them into position and he is a lot more vocal, which in this game could be more important.

No player who has been playing well deserves to get dropped and in the cup he has been playing well.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I may add that I'll be surprised if Foderingham is not playing in this match.

I think Gilks will play. His clean sheets deserve some reward and he's proved himself to be decent back-up. It will likely be the biggest game he's played in but he seems quite solid.The problem is that the decision to not play your No.1 keeper in a semi-final v Tims can only come back and bite you badly should you lose, especially if the keeper could have played better in the game. MW is a brave man if he chooses not to start Wes. but fortune favours the brave, they say. 

I said this the when this subject was first mentioned after the draw was made. I've nothing against Wes but it is worth noting that he's conceded 7 in 2 games against them. It's not like we're talking about dropping someone who's been an absolute standout performer against them.

Gilks deserves his chance and in some ways this might actually be the best time to give him it because the fact Wes conceded 5 in the last game might actually take a bit of pressure off him.

59 minutes ago, TheLoudenTavernier said:

I said this the when this subject was first mentioned after the draw was made. I've nothing against Wes but it is worth noting that he's conceded 7 in 2 games against them. It's not like we're talking about dropping someone who's been an absolute standout performer against them.

Gilks deserves his chance and in some ways this might actually be the best time to give him it because the fact Wes conceded 5 in the last game might actually take a bit of pressure off him.

The Goalie in his prime would have lost 5 to the  tims in last game but he'd not have saved Griffiths 30 yrd free kick which would have won them the semi. Play your best 11, end of.

2 hours ago, Blue Nosed Babe said:

Neil Alexander in Florence...Back up keepers can be just as good.

Gilks has not conceeded in the League Cup so I say play him.

Macgregor was injured when we went to Florence , it's not really comparable . Not taking away what Alexander done for us but he was our first choice fully fit goalkeeper when we played fiorentina 

11 hours ago, Big Al II said:

Its common place, was obvious from the beginning the had made that choice and so good on him for sticking by his word when it really matters. Its easy to promise something when.it doesnt matter, it takes balls to keep yor word when it comes to the crunch.

It takes more balls to make the 'correct' decision for the team, rather than appease one player IMO. 

43 minutes ago, Copland bear said:

Should be the no1 keeper and possibly our best player this season that starts against the filth.

This is no time for experiments but if Wes was injured then I think we have a good back up keeper.

Sunday is a win at all costs.

It's a League Cup match. 

I'm not saying I don't want to beat Celtic, but it's an age away from being win at all costs.