Playing it out from the back

KeyserSoze

Every manager knows how to set up against us and we were man marked out the game especially at by kicks. St J wanted us to punt the ball as their defence and midfield were a lot taller and physical than us and that was easy pickings for them. 

The kick out took that long waiting for the midfield cominb back to get the pass and by the time that happened he had to do the kick out which again left a couple of big guys picking up the possession for them.

I don't know the solution but I can certainly see the problems.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Tumshie said:

Aye let's go back to the days of McCoist and the long aimless punt. 

Nobody is saying that.we had a striker playing last night that was more than capable of winning headers with a long ball for somebody to run on to.aye it's good we want to play from the back but fuck me change it up abit,far too predictable 

Big Wes needs to remember he's a goallie and no a sweeper. I sit in BF4 and can see pretty much what he can see and every time he had possession the only player with his hands up indicating he wanted it played forward was Garner. Only once during the game did he kick it up to him and we nearly scored fae the flick on.  Seemed to think that passing it out tight was all he wanted to do and when he was getting urged to send it long he fired out to Hodson on the half way line. Fucking fed up of this one dimensional play.  I used to remember being a Gers goalie was about staying concentrated for 90 mins just in case your called to make a save but I bet Wes had more touches than anybody else on the pitch last night.  Fuckin rotten.

18 minutes ago, bluenose1975 said:

Big Wes needs to remember he's a goallie and no a sweeper. I sit in BF4 and can see pretty much what he can see and every time he had possession the only player with his hands up indicating he wanted it played forward was Garner. Only once during the game did he kick it up to him and we nearly scored fae the flick on.  Seemed to think that passing it out tight was all he wanted to do and when he was getting urged to send it long he fired out to Hodson on the half way line. Fucking fed up of this one dimensional play.  I used to remember being a Gers goalie was about staying concentrated for 90 mins just in case your called to make a save but I bet Wes had more touches than anybody else on the pitch last night.  Fuckin rotten.

Football has changed, so forget what you remember from the days gone by because we won't be going back to stone age tactics under managers (I pray). The modern, foward thinking managers want their keeper to be comfortable with the ball at his feet, which Wes is. The only time he looks nervous with it is when the idiotic fans get on his back, screaming, shouting and bawling. How fuckin stupid do you need to be to think that helps?

The negativity from the stands has an effect on the pitch, you can see it and feel it. Its fuckin brutal. They get no backing, the stadium is either in utter silence or its screaming, shouting and moaning. Its not due to the performances because even last year when we were pumping teams it was the same. We're just not good supporters at Ibrox. Different when we're away.

2 hours ago, LeeWallace5 said:

No one has said that, whats wrong with mixing it up a bit? We almost scored in the 2nd half from an attack which started with a long ball.

This. Opposition teams are pressing us and closing down the defence when the keeper is looking to pass the ball to them. We don't have the players to confidently control and pass the ball in a tight situation at the back. Nothing wrong with a long kick sometimes as long as it isn't an aimless punt, but the keeper needs to kick it well (a few kick outs aimed for MOH last night were all won by a st johnstone player). 

4 minutes ago, To Be A Ranger said:

This. Opposition teams are pressing us and closing down the defence when the keeper is looking to pass the ball to them. We don't have the players to confidently control and pass the ball in a tight situation at the back. Nothing wrong with a long kick sometimes as long as it isn't an aimless punt, but the keeper needs to kick it well (a few kick outs aimed for MOH last night were all won by a st johnstone player). 

Even if you don't win the first ball make sure the second ball is ours we just stand about like blue cones. 

4 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Even if you don't win the first ball make sure the second ball is ours we just stand about like blue cones. 

Early on last night a ball into our box was cleared. It went high in the air and was coming down to a st johnstone player about 20 yards out. We should be reading the play and close the player down but we allow the ball to drop and for him to control it. We just don't seem to be organised or sharp enough.

Just now, To Be A Ranger said:

Early on last night a ball into our box was cleared. It went high in the air and was coming down to a st johnstone player about 20 yards out. We should be reading the play and close the player down but we allow the ball to drop and for him to control it. We just don't seem to be organised or sharp enough.

Everyone can see it mate, I can honestly say I've never heard the stands at Ibrox more in agreement than at the moment. Which includes when Ally was manager. 

16 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

That second half last night was cringeworthy, it was embarrassing to watch. 

Remember when Patalinen was manager at Kilmarnock and he made them do it no matter what and we all pished ourselves laughing at him. Not so funny now. 

Said the exact same thing to my Dad at the game last night. 

Nobody is suggesting we become a long ball side, but if teams are going to press high, the players need the freedom to knock it long for 5/10 minutes. 

It's such basic stuff and the manager is clearly incapable or unwilling to adapt. 

56 minutes ago, PRW. said:

Football has changed, so forget what you remember from the days gone by because we won't be going back to stone age tactics under managers (I pray). The modern, foward thinking managers want their keeper to be comfortable with the ball at his feet, which Wes is. The only time he looks nervous with it is when the idiotic fans get on his back, screaming, shouting and bawling. How fuckin stupid do you need to be to think that helps?

The negativity from the stands has an effect on the pitch, you can see it and feel it. Its fuckin brutal. They get no backing, the stadium is either in utter silence or its screaming, shouting and moaning. Its not due to the performances because even last year when we were pumping teams it was the same. We're just not good supporters at Ibrox. Different when we're away.

Don't know where you sit PRW but you speak for yourself about not being a good fan.  Cracking wee bunch of regulars sit around me.  Stone age tactics lol.  It's called variation so we're not predictable as fuck.  Can you remember the last time we played a ball over the top into the space in front of the centre forward, me neither.  Sideways or backwards, seen that all night.  Face it, the tactics just aren't working.

I reckon Foderingham wasted about 5/6 minutes due to his fannying about with the ball at his feet last night. When he did try something different he kept hitting it wide to Hodson who never won a header against either Craig or that other big lump they had. We are fucking amateur at times. 

The fundamental issue here is lack of movement.  Look at throw ins, there can be a god 5 secs of looking about before it's thrown.  Going long will just result in the ball coming straight back at us simply because there is no movement or second guessing.  

I include every player in that aswell. Auchenhowie cant be a happy camp at the moment and must be in need of some serious team building, performances are disjointed,lethargic and unimaginative.  It's what you would expect from a team of Ricky foster stevie smith and Boyd etc.  Given the fact that these young lads are it seems playing with fear  then psychologically something is wrong.

were in a rut nearly as bad as the 10 without a win under big eck and it's time we revert to 4-5-1 and make us hard to beat then build on that

1 minute ago, loyalfollower said:

The fundamental issue here is lack of movement.  Look at throw ins, there can be a god 5 secs of looking about before it's thrown.  Going long will just result in the ball coming straight back at us simply because there is no movement or second guessing.  

I include every player in that aswell. Auchenhowie cant be a happy camp at the moment and must be in need of some serious team building, performances are disjointed,lethargic and unimaginative.  It's what you would expect from a team of Ricky foster stevie smith and Boyd etc.  Given the fact that these young lads are it seems playing with fear  then psychologically something is wrong.

were in a rut nearly as bad as the 10 without a win under big eck and it's time we revert to 4-5-1 and make us hard to beat then build on that

Lack of urgency!

2 hours ago, jackrfc95 said:

Our players are not good enough on the ball to play the way MW wants to play. We cant give our players the ball when they're surrounded by opposition players we're not Barcelona.

We're not playing against Real Madrid either!

18 minutes ago, eskbankloyal said:

Said the exact same thing to my Dad at the game last night. 

Nobody is suggesting we become a long ball side, but if teams are going to press high, the players need the freedom to knock it long for 5/10 minutes. 

It's such basic stuff and the manager is clearly incapable or unwilling to adapt. 

That's the worrying bit, it's such basic stuff yet you look at Warburton and he looks like a rabbit caught in the headlights. 

I don't mind it normally, but yesterday was embarrassing. St Johnstone were leaving 3 or 4 up, they were cancelling it out. Yet still we'd waste our time looking for a pass, Holt and Halliday would both come looking. When that wasn't on rather than squeeze up and hit our striker who's great in the air, Wes would knock it wide to player who aren't good in the air. Shock horror we lost the header, 2 of our centre mids are in centre half positions and can't win the second ball, so we're straight back under pressure. 

It was fucking pitiful last night and it summed us and Warburton up. Bang your head against the wall stubborn, unable to adapt.  

It takes years to install a playing ethos in a club ala Barcelona,Ajax etc.we have players who are trying to learn this system whilst being lambasted from the stands by some of the worst supporters in the country.the screams at young windass in the 3rd minute when he had the temerity to bring down a high ball on the edge of his box and play it wide to forrester rather than "HEED IT UP THE FUCKIN PARK" were disgraceful.people wonder why we don't play incisive passing anymore.Its because the players are terrified if it doesn't come off they'll get dogs abuse.im a 70 year old supporter and have longed for the club to adopt a modern  approach to football.get behind the manager and players ffs

im no expert (clearly) but if i were implementing this tactic at any level of football the whole team has to "come short so to speak" if your going to ask your CB's to split, you need to midfielders coming short to want it in the middle, in turn you would want your striker coming to almost half way, your wingers one to come narrow the other on the touchline, and full backs to push beyond the CB's. think the problem is they play short and are not doing it properly, playing that style you need options and a metric fuck tonne of them. you cant play to the defense and have one option for a pass which is the keeper. in the game last night the gap between our defence and midfield was fucking massive, and often they would play it to holt or haliday with such venom they could barley control it because they were so far away. They have to play this style as a team, and if you do that it works a treat, you let the opposition press you high, you out pass them and in f/5 passes your in their defensive 3rd. But at present it seems some know what to do other are not sure and other havny got a clue! with this style the only player standing still should be the keeper, there is suck a lack of movement and it results in ten passes at the back and then a final forced pass to try and get something going. This could be down to a lack of confidence, if your team are not playing brilliantly it takes a lot to demand the ball and not fuck it up. I think we will get there, and this style of football will improve the team in the long term. but every player has to get the finger out and play like a team!

1 hour ago, B1872 said:

I reckon Foderingham wasted about 5/6 minutes due to his fannying about with the ball at his feet last night. When he did try something different he kept hitting it wide to Hodson who never won a header against either Craig or that other big lump they had. We are fucking amateur at times. 

You're right. He was playing it wide at head height to hodson who is the smallest man on the park. He'd have been aswell just kicking it out for a throw in. His distribution is awful. Certainly not wanting back to ally's hoof ball tactics but surely trying to pick out garner who could then bring others into play was a better option than what we saw last night.?

2 hours ago, ronniemca said:

It takes years to install a playing ethos in a club ala Barcelona,Ajax etc.we have players who are trying to learn this system whilst being lambasted from the stands by some of the worst supporters in the country.the screams at young windass in the 3rd minute when he had the temerity to bring down a high ball on the edge of his box and play it wide to forrester rather than "HEED IT UP THE FUCKIN PARK" were disgraceful.people wonder why we don't play incisive passing anymore.Its because the players are terrified if it doesn't come off they'll get dogs abuse.im a 70 year old supporter and have longed for the club to adopt a modern  approach to football.get behind the manager and players ffs

Nobody is suggesting we resort to route 1 football. In fact far from it. 

Yes patience levels within our home support aren't high but the complete inability to change for 5/10 minutes is a disgrace. If the keeper playes 2 or 3 long balls to Garner you would have founf that the St J team would have stopped their 3 man press due to the uncertainty & we could have played from the back again.

As I said earlier it's really basic stuff. 

24 minutes ago, eskbankloyal said:

Nobody is suggesting we resort to route 1 football. In fact far from it. 

Yes patience levels within our home support aren't high but the complete inability to change for 5/10 minutes is a disgrace. If the keeper playes 2 or 3 long balls to Garner you would have founf that the St J team would have stopped their 3 man press due to the uncertainty & we could have played from the back again.

As I said earlier it's really basic stuff. 

Your right on one thing ,long ball really is basic.So basic that every time Wes did it last night and Gilks did it on Sunday the fuckin ball was back in the oppositions control immediately.there is a reason clubs are paying fortunes for keepers who can use the ball properly and it's not to revert to 1970's football.the club wants to move on to modern day methods ,unfortunately some of our "support" don't