A few reasons why Mark Warburton is the man to take us forward

Gaz52

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

55 minutes ago, ger4life_1872 said:

Yeah i agree , said earlier if he doesnt show signs of starting to adapt and change things and quickly then its only gonna result in 1 thing , i do have serious doubts on him doing so though

Games are going to start coming so thick and fast soon, that things may well sort themselves one way or the other by Xmas.

The man will not change anything it's just a case of waiting for whatever the hell he thinks is going to click. 

We have been waiting since the turn of the year for that to happen. So we are almost a full year away from the start of the slump. 

But no worries let's give him time. ?

14 hours ago, Gaz52 said:

I want to start off by saying I wrongly called for his head after the Old Firm and Ross County results but low-confidence, low-belief and frustration clouded my judgment at that time I'd say.

I could write war & peace about how good his managerial record is but there's a few things I'd like to point out which impressed me and some of it sounds very familiar to our current situation.

He said this to his wife in 2011 - "We have the money in the bank, the house is paid for, our lifestyle won't change. I want to do this: 10 years to achieve something in the game. It’s now or never" before embarking upon his career in coaching, he left his job at HSBC as a trader behind.

It's been 5 years since then and he wasn't wrong was he? In 5 years he's guided Brentford to the Championship by finishing second in League One and in their first season in the Championship he took them to third spot for a lot of the campaign (Brentford's highest ever position since the 1953). He won "London Manager Of The Year 2015" and various manager of the month awards in the Championship. The most impressive thing he done that year though, was guide Brentford to the Championship Play-Offs, even though half way through the season it was agreed that he would part company with Brentford due to differences with the owner, who wanted to take use statistics and mathematics to pick the team but Warburton believed a manager should always pick his team. He left Brentford with a win ratio of 51%, the highest of any manager in Brentford's history.

This is where I think it starts to sound a bit familiar.. He guides Brentford to promotion in his first few months in charge and then he gets a swing at the Championship, the clubs expectations were to avoid relegation - but he said fuck that - he built a young squad with many of the players being untested at a high level, they started off slowly and Warburton had this to say - "We've got a lot of young players who will find their feet, but when you start a new job and move up you have to adapt to your new environment quickly because no allowances will be given"

The part in bold is what strikes me the most, a slow start with a group of young players, fans probably think they're destined for relegation but they quickly pick up pace and start winning game after game, they sit third for a lot of the season and after it was announced he was departing, their form obviously took a hit but they still managed to qualify for the play-offs in a very tough and competitive league.

I don't need to document what he done with us last season, he pretty much built a squad from scratch and implemented a new style of play which was alien to Rangers, a style that us Rangers fans had screamed for since as far back as I can remember. He won the PFA Manager Of The Year in Scotland. He guides us to promotion with ease when you look at it. I'm not saying we were invincible, he made plenty of mistakes last season but we're talking about a guy who's achieved so much in such a short space of time as a manager. He gave us all reason to go back to Ibrox and actually enjoy watching our team playing again. His influence has been great from the first team right down to our young kids coming through, he's brought with him staff and personnel who have improved everything about us, we had absolutely nothing under McCoist, we were buying washed up SPL players and ignoring youth development altogether.

I believe he'll turn things round here, he's a winner and has been his whole life, he's probably feeling pressure that he's never felt before but there's no reason he can't change things, he deserves this season at least, let's see where we are come May. He's got a young squad, many of who are still settling in to life at Rangers, he probably knows a couple of his signings weren't maybe right but he brought in who he could afford whilst the rhats at the east have the luxury of bringing in one player who costs more than our whole squad pretty much.

He's everything we've ever wanted in a Rangers manager, he's got class, he's brought back an identity to our style of play, he wants to win. He's learning as well.

Thanks for reading if you did. I just want to make a case for him as I strongly believe he will take us forward if we give him the time.... and money.

For me we will know if he's a real manager if we give home time to get us out of this bad patch - real leadership is only shown in times of adversity - I believe he will pull us out and up but it's a learning process for him as well - there is a chance he will crumble and not turn it around. For me the rewards for sticking with him are worth the risk that he may fail as more will be gained though him learning from his mistakes than the upheaval of  getting in another manager. 

1 minute ago, DBBTB said:

We have been dreadful since April and it's nearly November now.

How long do you consider bad results to 'just be a bad patch' before you admit that the manager just simply might just not be up to it?

Ffs that's a real negative spin on timings - we have not been stellar but no where near as bad as your post makes out 

4 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

How long do you consider bad results to 'just be a bad patch' before you admit that the manager just simply might just not be up to it?

Personally, I wouldn't count the close season.

2 hours ago, Bluepeter9 said:

Ffs that's a real negative spin on timings - we have not been stellar but no where near as bad as your post makes out 

Since the celtic game in April we have been awful. Are you even going to try and deny that?

Go back further than that if you want a bigger timeframe. Awful performances against Falkirk, QOTS & St Mirren, a loss at Falkirk, and draws at Raith Rovers & Alloa too.

We peaked when we hammered Hibs last Christmas and since then teams have figured us out and it's been a gradual downhill trend ever since with the exception of beating celtic in April.

I don't want Warburton sacked, I've said that countless times now, but the guys jacket is rightly on a shoogly peg.

10 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

The end of season slump is understandable. We got nervous crossing the finish line then when we did the intensity goes. 

This season the recruitment and injuries have been the issues. We haven't had a settled team, fluidity has suffered. We are now playing with hesitancy that we never showed during the good times. McKay is an example of what happens when you play with fear. He's taking the easy pass for fear of giving the ball away.  We play to set patterns and rarely deviate. I'd like us to show some imagination and instinct to go with training ground movements. 

I am still right behind the manager.  Wee Frank will have his work cut out for January and getting the best Bosmans in. I'd limit buys to 5 max for the period into next season and aim high in terms of quality. 

Great opening post.

I am not dismissing anyone's concerns. I think following Wednesday it would be foolish to do so however I firmly believe the potential rewards of getting behindthis guy, allowing him to operate in an enviroment where he feels like we have his back hugely out weigh any benefits of sacking him now.  I have said it elsewhere, whilst I admit it's purely speculative on my part  I can see us going backwards if we need to source a new boss. I'm do not accept when people demand other fans to name the replacement, ultimately that's not their job however right now I simply do not see who will take us forward based on our current circumstance.  Forget McInnes or any one operating in Scotland.  So where do we go? Some Delia type punt, drop him in with limited budget and the pressure of the current circumstances?  We will simply not be recruiting a top drawer Manager, I think most accept that.

It's not easy watching a poor Rangers, it's less easy not winning games however for me let's give Davie and MW a shot at turning this around, I firmly believe they will.

If he wants to be the man to take us forward, or indeed take himself forward in the game to better things, he needs to become more adaptable and see when things are not working and change it rather than this blind faith he has in his system otherwise that will ultimately be his downfall. 

10 minutes ago, Jelavic191 said:

If he wants to be the man to take us forward, or indeed take himself forward in the game to better things, he needs to become more adaptable and see when things are not working and change it rather than this blind faith he has in his system otherwise that will ultimately be his downfall. 

This:541:

11 hours ago, D'Artagnan said:

Its a good read Gaz - plenty in there to like.

My only concern is that MW for all his positive attributes has to date, no experience of seeing such a long term project through to fruition. Dont get me wrong he may get it right 1st time but I think with such a bold and radical project id be more confident if it was someone who had shown such a project to work previously.

My other gripe would be that I take my hat off to MW for trying to play attacking entertaining football -  I just dont see why it always has to be in a 4-3-3 formation. Could we not do the same with a 4-4-2 or any other formation which was attack minded and suited to the players we have in our squad ?

Honestly that second paragraph is all I have said all season haha why can't we play passion football in a different shape/formation that may actually suit our limited players better!

I have cited McKay on another thread re his serious dip in form. Here we have arguably our most naturaly gifted player not doing doing it for some time now. Did he just wake up one morning and it all deserted him? Of course not.

All players hit a bad patch, but his has been as spectacular as it has been prolonged. Yet we see him week on week played in the same position playing the same role to the same system and it's not working.

By the time he gets the ball there are at least six oppo players in front of him, so WTF is he supposed to do. Yes, pass a a square ball, or worse, back the way, before he is clugged.

Now this maybe the MW school of football, but it's fucking horrid and must be bursting McKay's erse along with everyone else. It leaves the players with little options. It's slow and would bore the tits off a bull. Players want to score goals and win. They want to experience and create an exciting game, express themselves, show off their abilities, murder the opposition. Sure there needs to be a plan, tactics, but ffs, what we are witnessing is more boring than a game of chess and from the players responses, I think they are more bored with it than we are. They can see it, everyone can. It doesn't work and the results and performances show that. Our players are stifled and there is nothing worse than going into work to a boring job, facing the drudgery of it and that's what this is.

He is one dimensional, with one system, with little faith in his players despite what he tries to make us believe and that will kill him off.

15 hours ago, Max1872 said:

Won't let me quote...

Dont agree that we played with high intensity and pace, O'Halloran aside. He gave us something different but other than that we were very pedestrian. A bad performance is obviously different from a bad result but that was a bad performance...

We take about 19 passes to get in the opponents half! I dont need to look up statistics I watch us every week, we have loads of problems, being clinical is only one of them.

I have watched the game back and the first half was played at incredible pace. We were direct and quick and it wasnt just MOH.

Gaz52 is absolutely correct.

We've never had a manager like this and I am very keen to see how it works out over the next few years.

I don't know who is responsible for the signing of Hill, Senderos, Barton and Krancjar, but I'm not happy about any of them. Part of me can't believe Warburton would have gone for any of them based on how he's operated in years previous.

I'd sooner see Rossiter Crooks and Windass play over Barton and Krancjar any day, even if it cost us points in the short term.

The clubs recruitment  priority for January has to be a young, tall and quick centre back on loan to stabilise the rear guard. Barton will hopefully be moved on to ensure Rossiter becomes first choice when fit.