A good interesting piece on GersNet

barcodebear

That's a thoughtful article. 

O'Halloran did get to the byline far more frequently than McKay or others.

Holt gets into the box more than others.

Windass shot more and displayed more drive from midfield than most. 

All these things give us more options and make us more unpredictable and tougher to defend against.

It also helped that we appeared to defend better, but that's helped by playing better and retaining the ball more,

It was only Kilmarnock, if we do Hearts and Aberdeen by the same score, we'll be getting somewhere.

The team still struggles if we go behind and the opposition shut up shop even more. That obviously didn't happen this weekend.

49 minutes ago, Shuggy said:

It was only Kilmarnock, if we do Hearts and Aberdeen by the same score, we'll be getting somewhere.

The team still struggles if we go behind and the opposition shut up shop even more. That obviously didn't happen this weekend.

This, 

If we go behind, and we usually do to a sloppy goal, we panic, get nervous, afraid of doing anything wrong and take the easy option, and look awful

We get the opening goal we can play keep the ball as we are ahead, 

Plenty tactical jargon in that article, which is nice, chucked it when he mentioned pep guardiola but the basic fact is somebody booted somebody up the arse between st johnstone and the killie game resulting in more effort and urgency all round. We've still only got one Rangers class player at Ibrox and that's KM who for me played an unselfish deeper game on Saturday and held the team together better. Player wise we've got what we've got for the time being. Glad Tav's back even though his defending is a bit suss, and fair play to moh a good positive direct game from the offset put kilmarnock on the back foot early doors and negated them as any kind of a threat, more of this will help confidence all round! :sherlock:

I thought Kenny Miller was the difference on Saturday.  His movement and link up was fantastic.

We got back to doing well (and inexplicably stopped) what we did early in MW's tenure.  Individauls working hard to create space and angles to take the pass or create room and the team pressing when not in possession .

Up in to 2nd now whilst having not played that well during the 1st round of games.  Let's hope we kick on from here.

You don't get the luxury of time on the ball in the SPL, the Filth never gave us a moment on the ball in the two games against them recently, St Johnstone copied them and pressed us whenever we had the ball, we continued to try to play through this by holding the ball, slow build up and movement, it wasn't working. With the inclusion of players with more pace, plus a faster tempo of movement and passing. Hopefully we have learned to counter the opposition's Plan A.

1 hour ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

This, 

If we go behind, and we usually do to a sloppy goal, we panic, get nervous, afraid of doing anything wrong and take the easy option, and look awful

We get the opening goal we can play keep the ball as we are ahead, 

Didn't hurt that they had nothing in midfield whatsoever.

Be interesting when we come up against some of the more combative midfields, as we've seen already.

44 minutes ago, markem said:

I thought Kenny Miller was the difference on Saturday.  His movement and link up was fantastic.

We got back to doing well (and inexplicably stopped) what we did early in MW's tenure.  Individauls working hard to create space and angles to take the pass or create room and the team pressing when not in possession .

Up in to 2nd now whilst having not played that well during the 1st round of games.  Let's hope we kick on from here.

Kenny does a lot of coaching on the pitch aswell, tells people where to be and stuff.

Kenny wouldn't think twice about chasing back to win the ball back in his own box and demands the same effort from his team mates.

A born winner.

Very good analysis of the game. I was really noticeable that the ball carrier had the players much closer to him, creating more options and overloading. It really is an important part of our game. When we play badly its usually because too many players are too far away from the ball carrier.

1 hour ago, markem said:

I agree. Miller was the player who really made us tick. 

59 minutes ago, HG5 said:

Didn't hurt that they had nothing in midfield whatsoever.

Be interesting when we come up against some of the more combative midfields, as we've seen already.

While this is true its all about options... the player with the ball needs the other players to be closer which gives him options. We did that very well against killie.

3 hours ago, OlegKuznetsov said:

That's a thoughtful article. 

O'Halloran did get to the byline far more frequently than McKay or others.

Holt gets into the box more than others.

Windass shot more and displayed more drive from midfield than most. 

All these things give us more options and make us more unpredictable and tougher to defend against.

It also helped that we appeared to defend better, but that's helped by playing better and retaining the ball more,

Spot-on.

Football is a really simple game and I think Warburton tries to complicate it sometimes too much by over-thinking strategies and tactics.

Although I would urge caution. Kilmarnock, even though our best display this season, is still just one game.

I see this all the time on here people get carried away after one good game and also one bad game.

I'm looking at us overall and I still see a shit-load of average players in our team who just so happened to play really well at the weekend.

We need to do this every week, or most weeks. Which we haven't done except for the first half of last season.

That was a great read and summed up my own thoughts on the game. Our pressing, movement and pace made us so hard to play against and if we do that every week we'll start to pick up more wins.

No changes on Sunday for me, no one deserves to be dropped after that performance!

1 hour ago, johanhentze said:

While this is true its all about options... the player with the ball needs the other players to be closer which gives him options. We did that very well against killie.

Oh yes - we made good use of the opportuity, no question about that?

1 minute ago, K.A.I said:

Spot-on.

Football is a really simple game and I think Warburton tries to complicate it sometimes too much by over-thinking strategies and tactics.

Although I would urge caution. Kilmarnock, even though our best display this season, is still just one game.

I see this all the time on here people get carried away after one good game and also one bad game.

I'm looking at us overall and I still see a shit-load of average players in our team who just so happened to play really well at the weekend.

We need to do this every week, or most weeks. Which we haven't done except for the first half of last season.

Absolutely.

We have to keep perspective.

However, in our first season back in the top tier, when some time to adjust is only natural, it's moderately positive that we have got to second fairly early.

This is especially so, given we had probably the two toughest games away to the the scum and sheep, and the latter we were unlucky to lose.

Of course, we should get second, with time to adjust, given our budget. 

9 hours ago, Shuggy said:

It's the same Kilmarnock who beat St Johnstone 1-0, drew with Inverness then beat Hearts 2-0.

Let's not underplayed the result here, it was a solid victory. 

I'm far from convinced despite the performance and victory on Saturday.  We need to sign around 6 first team starters ie players who are unquestionably better than what we currently have. Starting with two centre half's. 

We will still drop points to regularly with both our current squad and rigid philosophy.