Who would get into our old teams?

5*RFC

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently you'd have to say none

Last time we won the league team was kinda (best 11)

Shagger

Papac

Weir

Boogie

Whittaker

Naismith

Davis

Edu

Weiss

Jelavic

Lafferty/Miller

Alll miles better than anything currently. Some would be world beaters in the current standard of SPL - Davis, Naismith, Weiss and Jelly

light years away from even Whittaker/Edu standard ATM 

In our great teams they'd be lucky to get assigned a number. Even in some of our poorest seasons (pre 2012) I would struggle imagining them being more than a player that sporadically appears on the bench. Objectively, this squad is the 5th worst Rangers squad ever

3 hours ago, Smile said:

Warburton, has signed  players we are used to watching in opposition teams like the Motherwells, St Johnstone Hibs and the Falkirks who have one good game in four they would not get in our better squads.

It's why they are struggling now they are trying their best but are just not at the level we expect.

Interesting perspective. If we faced our current squad with one of our older teams, i'd probably view us as a decent upper level Premiership team.

Id love to have genuine Rangers quality again. Wont settle for years more of SPL and English football league quality players, were not Hearts or the sheep fingerers FFS!

Just seen this picture of one of our teams from 99'. 

CxTbD2bXgAAmcU0.jpg

If I was to pick my best ever 11 I don't think I would have any of them in it. That's not even including guys like McCall, Durrant, McCann, Cuellar, Negri, Hutton, Davis, R Wallace, Weir, I Ferguson, Durie, Jelavic, McGregor, Boyd, Tugay, Mendes, Novo, Lovenkrands to name a few. Or even including others like Cousin, Amato, Niemi etc. I think that tells you the quality of player we have been lucky to have over the years and that I have been so lucky to see. Born in 1984 I've certainly seen more good players than bad and seen more happy times than bad although the last 10-15 years or so has had it's fair share of ups and downs. And in addition to the above there have obviously been many more greats before my time.

In summary and to answer the question, no one in our current squad comes even close to being good enough IMO. Kenny Miller probably deserves special mention for his contribution over his spells but a 36 year old Miller would not get close to our best team. 

3 hours ago, Laudrup1984 said:

Just seen this picture of one of our teams from 99'. 

CxTbD2bXgAAmcU0.jpg

If I was to pick my best ever 11 I don't think I would have any of them in it. That's not even including guys like McCall, Durrant, McCann, Cuellar, Negri, Hutton, Davis, R Wallace, Weir, I Ferguson, Durie, Jelavic, McGregor, Boyd, Tugay, Mendes, Novo, Lovenkrands to name a few. Or even including others like Cousin, Amato, Niemi etc. I think that tells you the quality of player we have been lucky to have over the years and that I have been so lucky to see. Born in 1984 I've certainly seen more good players than bad and seen more happy times than bad although the last 10-15 years or so has had it's fair share of ups and downs. And in addition to the above there have obviously been many more greats before my time.

In summary and to answer the question, no one in our current squad comes even close to being good enough IMO. Kenny Miller probably deserves special mention for his contribution over his spells but a 36 year old Miller would not get close to our best team. 

I was also born in 1984 so lived through the glorious 90's.

Actually found myself drooling at the pic you posted. Good times.

They will return, things happen in waves and hopefully soon we will be feared again.