Baxter against England 1967

delamonty

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just watched that. Fucking hell. This may be an unpopular opinion but football was pretty shit then? I could stand and spray passed around if I had nobody with 20 yards of me at any given time. 

Also, did nobody run in those days? It's like walking football. 

Knew of this man before most of the present team of my early years. As with most bears all the talk was of Baxter, Henderson, Willie Johnstone in my gramps house. My old man was mad about the likes of Stein and Greig. I wonder if in the future my own period will be seen as a bigger highlight of Rangers history with all the trophies and wins because I actually grew up thinking I'd missed it all. Fuck knows how todays youth feel. I find it hard to watch some of our players at times because of what we've been used to.

Baxter also looks so carefree and natural to me like the Zidane of his time. Wish I'd seen him.

Met a guy at a work do that was at the old Man U training complex and a guy had brought the English premier league trophy. Upon noticing he had a Scottish accent and that he played for United in the 60s, I asked him if he'd ever played with Baxter to which he replied yes. I said that's amazing. He was Paddy Crerand :lol: 

Went home and looked him up and seen he had not a bad career himself. Must be murder for the likes of him when they meet Rangers fans. Seen a Baxter documentary the other year and he was crying about Baxter, so must have known him well. Wish I'd got more out of him now.

12 minutes ago, gsa said:

Just watched that. Fucking hell. This may be an unpopular opinion but football was pretty shit then? I could stand and spray passed around if I had nobody with 20 yards of me at any given time. 

I watch a lot of the old matches on YouTube mate. Think sometimes the match went like that for periods but much of it was fast and furious with everyone trying to beat men and flying wingers. I think Rangers of the 60s and 70s were a bit like the 90s Dutch sides. Very nice on the eye but perhaps a bit softer than that other lot who seemed to go to war with a lot of teams as well as being able to play football.

Anybody put me right? Was that lots greatest side quite a hard team compared to us? I heard them whinging about an Argentinian team that beat them and looked it up but it was mostly them chasing players around throwing punches and all sorts. I know the South Americans are sly but that still looked like a team who liked to mix it up to me.

4 minutes ago, William McBeath said:

I watch a lot of the old matches on YouTube mate. Think sometimes the match went like that for periods but much of it was fast and furious with everyone trying to beat men and flying wingers. I think Rangers of the 60s and 70s were a bit like the 90s Dutch sides. Very nice on the eye but perhaps a bit softer than that other lot who seemed to go to war with a lot of teams as well as being able to play football.

Anybody put me right? Was that lots greatest side quite a hard team compared to us? I heard them whinging about an Argentinian team that beat them and looked it up but it was mostly them chasing players around throwing punches and all sorts. I know the South Americans are sly but that still looked like a team who liked to mix it up to me.

Apparently Argentina, Uruguay and Italy were vicious in rose days. Remember Bobby Charlton talking about his 1st experience of Italian defenders and saying he was shocked by the violence!

Just now, gsa said:

Apparently Argentina, Uruguay and Italy were vicious in rose days. Remember Bobby Charlton talking about his 1st experience of Italian defenders and saying he was shocked by the violence!

The violence :lol:

Must have been mad back then with some of those teams. The worst I've seen in my day apart from outright awful challenges from the likes of Keane and Muscat was an Italian guy who just followed Maradona around throwing him all over the place.

13 minutes ago, William McBeath said:

The violence :lol:

Must have been mad back then with some of those teams. The worst I've seen in my day apart from outright awful challenges from the likes of Keane and Muscat was an Italian guy who just followed Maradona around throwing him all over the place.

Gentile? I remember reading he shaved his moustache for the final in the hope that the referee wouldn't recognise him and judge him by his bad reputation :lol:

4 minutes ago, JamieD said:

Gentile?

Aye that's the one mate. 86 was my first world cup but seen it in a football programme. That's interesting what Gentile says in that clip about the Argies as they are a very similar mob when it comes to tough defenders and superb attackers. Two great football nations.

My first trip to Ibrox was as a 4 year old to see the not so Slim Jim in one of the league cup section ties . I have absolutely no memory of the game apart from the sense of awe at the sheer size of the stadium standing at the Copland Road terrace , and my Da and uncles telling me to " just watch the No. 6 " . I will always be grateful to them for that even though I doubt I saw much of Baxter as even the nearest goal seemed fuckin miles away ! 

Laudrup was my generations Baxter I suppose , and I live in hope that we see another in a Rangers shirt who can be mentioned in the same class .

2 minutes ago, harlands plater said:

A very small comedian from the North of England, he was known for playing the part of a schoolboy in short trousers.

Alan Ball had a high-pitched voice, which Baxter ridiculed with the Clitheroe reference.

When you watch the old documentaries you could see the bold yin could rip the piss :lol:

Not enough characters in the game now. Think some of it is to do with the OTT media reactions but so many just seem so bland now. Probably the money to makes it that its hard for them to remain like the rest of us. Changing society too but its a shame as its harder to feel the same for the team. Must have been amazing to see a full side of Scotsmen in the side and many of them bears too.  

9 minutes ago, Fred H Crawford said:

My first trip to Ibrox was as a 4 year old to see the not so Slim Jim in one of the league cup section ties . I have absolutely no memory of the game apart from the sense of awe at the sheer size of the stadium standing at the Copland Road terrace , and my Da and uncles telling me to " just watch the No. 6 " . I will always be grateful to them for that even though I doubt I saw much of Baxter as even the nearest goal seemed fuckin miles away ! 

Laudrup was my generations Baxter I suppose , and I live in hope that we see another in a Rangers shirt who can be mentioned in the same class .

Also, just the way the Great Dane moved was so superior to most players. An absolute genius :541:

Some comments here remind me of better times (tu)

Cheers Bears (and Bearettes of course).  It's to the point, that the sixties can be seen as simpler times.  They weren't but time does dull memories somewhat.

But ffs.  Jim controlled that match.. and England were no mugs.  That match...  there were loads of 'heavy' tackles from both sides.  Good British Fitba'  Got up and got on with it. (tu)

1 hour ago, gsa said:

:lol:

Aye right ye are then, I'll bite ...... in under 12 minutes of a game, football back then was shit in your opinion ..... give us your playing details and perhaps we can get you organised with a trial as you must be brilliant ..... just what we need in our team today ..... (tu)

England     2                           Scotland    3

Banks                                    Simpson

Cohen                                    Gemmell

Wilson                                    McCreadie

Stiles                                     Greig

J.Charlton                             McKinnon

Moore                                   Baxter

Ball                                       Wallace

Greaves                                Bremner

B.Charlton                            McCalliog

Hurst                                    Law   

Peters                                  Lennox

The 1966 World Cup winners were not just outplayed that day they were humiliated by the underdogs Scotland  ...... who never even made the WC Finals, but on that day were world class. Different times mate ..... different attitude towards the Scotland team.

Also, to judge that game and the quality of football back then as shite shows how unaware you are of the history of the game in general, and I can only guess it is because you are both not old enough and anti towards the Scotland team of today ..... if true, then fair enough (I have little time for them today either), but it's a pity really .... as if you were more aware of our great players of the past and the style of football then ..... you would not have made the comment you did ..... with the amount of video footage  and written history available on line I am surprised you are not better informed ...... anyway bring your boots down to auchenhowie when you are ready and give us the benefit of your football talents ....if you are even 1% as good as any of the above I'm sure you will be welcome.

:uk:

1 hour ago, gsa said:

Point is thought mate.. Slim controlled the pace.  And in fact, The England side of that day were known for their 'walking the ball up the pitch style.'  Football -- like everything -- evolves.  We beat the World Champions on the day -- on their pitch and led by Jim.  It's all relative mate.  Could we do it today? No chance

And.. IF you can spray about passes at Wembley -- I'm sure MW would love to have you .. So would I :-)

1 hour ago, gsa said:

(tu) 

Cant say I was 'wowed' watching that either. 

44 minutes ago, Bobby Hume said:

:lol:

Aye right ye are then, I'll bite ...... in under 12 minutes of a game, football back then was shit in your opinion ..... give us your playing details and perhaps we can get you organised with a trial as you must be brilliant ..... just what we need in our team today ..... (tu)

England     2                           Scotland    3

Banks                                    Simpson

Cohen                                    Gemmell

Wilson                                    McCreadie

Stiles                                     Greig

J.Charlton                             McKinnon

Moore                                   Baxter

Ball                                       Wallace

Greaves                                Bremner

B.Charlton                            McCalliog

Hurst                                    Law   

Peters                                  Lennox

The 1966 World Cup winners were not just outplayed that day they were humiliated by the underdogs Scotland  ...... who never even made the WC Finals, but on that day were world class. Different times mate ..... different attitude towards the Scotland team.

Also, to judge that game and the quality of football back then as shite shows how unaware you are of the history of the game in general, and I can only guess it is because you are both not old enough and anti towards the Scotland team of today ..... if true, then fair enough (I have little time for them today either), but it's a pity really .... as if you were more aware of our great players of the past and the style of football then ..... you would not have made the comment you did ..... with the amount of video footage  and written history available on line I am surprised you are not better informed ...... anyway bring your boots down to auchenhowie when you are ready and give us the benefit of your football talents ....if you are even 1% as good as any of the above I'm sure you will be welcome.

Fucking hell, can't believe you took his comment so personally. :blink: 

It was cringey reading that 

Just to throw a spanner in the works . 

Was talking about this game with someone who reckons an even bigger achievement was beating England 2-1 at Wembley back in 1963 . Rangers and Scotland captain , Eric Caldow broke his leg early on , and Scotland played nearly the full game with 10 men , in the days before substitutes were allowed . 

Oh , and a certain Jim Baxter scored the two Scotland goals .

Before my time, so I'll leave it to the older Bears as to what was the bigger achievement , but it would be an interesting debate . 

7 minutes ago, King Jela said:

Fucking hell, can't believe you spent all that time to inform him of another aspect, so glad you took his comment so personally and explained things. :blink: 

It was Brilliant reading, thanks mate.... (tu)

Anything for a Bear. 

Cheers glad you liked it mate ...... :cheers:

In regards to the perceived slow pace of that game, you have to remember that this is a 13 minute clip showing the talent of JB, it's been well documented that Dennis Law was raging with Slim Jim as he wanted to run up a cricket score against England that day, and they could have, but Jim being Jim decided that he would rather take the piss and single handedly slowed the game down to a walking pace.

Don't be fooled for a minute GSA thinking this was how the game was played back then, it was usually played at full pelt with both teams going out to win a game, unlike nowadays where it's more important trying to not lose a game, and tackles would be flying in as well, you just have to look at the amount of players who suffered broken legs/ankles back then, it definitely was a mans game in those days.