Baxter against England 1967

delamonty

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, gmcf said:

Just to throw a spanner in the works . 

Was talking about this game with someone who reckons an even bigger achievement was beating England 2-1 at Wembley back in 1963 . Rangers and Scotland captain , Eric Caldow broke his leg early on , and Scotland played nearly the full game with 10 men , in the days before substitutes were allowed . 

Oh , and a certain Jim Baxter scored the two Scotland goals .

Before my time, so I'll leave it to the older Bears as to what was the bigger achievement , but it would be an interesting debate . 

A lot of the older Bears that drank in the pub when I was younger (most sadly no longer with us ) used to say the same , and that was Baxters finest game for Scotland .

I mind seeing JB speaking about that game and how he was raging when England pulled a goal back as he had told some teammates that he was going to score an og so that he could say he scored a hat-trick at Wembley .

15 minutes ago, Fred H Crawford said:

A lot of the older Bears that drank in the pub when I was younger (most sadly no longer with us ) used to say the same , and that was Baxters finest game for Scotland .

I mind seeing JB speaking about that game and how he was raging when England pulled a goal back as he had told some teammates that he was going to score an og so that he could say he scored a hat-trick at Wembley .

Baxter scored with his first ever senior penalty. However, I reckon the real star of that match was Davie Wilson, Went to LB and  at one point played a ball to the LW. He then remembered that he ws LW, ran up the pitch and collected his own pass!

1 hour ago, gmcf said:

Just to throw a spanner in the works . 

Was talking about this game with someone who reckons an even bigger achievement was beating England 2-1 at Wembley back in 1963 . Rangers and Scotland captain , Eric Caldow broke his leg early on , and Scotland played nearly the full game with 10 men , in the days before substitutes were allowed . 

Oh , and a certain Jim Baxter scored the two Scotland goals .

Before my time, so I'll leave it to the older Bears as to what was the bigger achievement , but it would be an interesting debate . 

To be fair to the English (ha ha), Eric Caldow broke his leg in what was a harsh tackle from Tottenham's Bobby Smith, a big burly fucker. Smith came back on after treatment but spent the rest of the game on the right wing as a passenger.

A tackle such as that one, and there were many in those days, would get a player banned for 10 games nowadays.

Walking football - bollocks,  Maybe a bit slower than today but certainly a lot harder. Men played it in those days unlike the jessies of today who fall over when someone gets even close to them.

When you compare it to some of the brain-dead shite that gets lauded on here, Baxter getting 9 'likes' (10 now) just goes to show what a bitter, uninformed, seething, self-loathing cesspit this site (and the support) has become.

Shame really. 22 magnificent players on that park too.

4 hours ago, bornabear said:

To be fair to the English (ha ha), Eric Caldow broke his leg in what was a harsh tackle from Tottenham's Bobby Smith, a big burly fucker. Smith came back on after treatment but spent the rest of the game on the right wing as a passenger.

A tackle such as that one, and there were many in those days, would get a player banned for 10 games nowadays.

Walking football - bollocks,  Maybe a bit slower than today but certainly a lot harder. Men played it in those days unlike the jessies of today who fall over when someone gets even close to them.

Without a doubt . A pity really , when you think great tackles like Tam Forsyth's on Mick Channon would probably no longer be allowed . 

I can remember a game in the mid 70's where Alex Forsyth punched someone at Ibrox after a wee ' argument ' during a game ( St Johnstone maybe ? ) and the referee made them . . . . .  shake hands ! Never happen today . 

The comments on "foreign" players attitude to playing reminds me of many comments from Rangers players. I kept hearing about them pulling the hairs on their legs at corners or standing on their toes. Another favourite was after they fouled you they would help you up and supposedly pat your head but were actually pulling your hair. I also remember Colin Stein & big Derek J saying they put shinguards on the back of their legs as well as the front. 

11 hours ago, Corky True Legend said:

Baxter scored with his first ever senior penalty. However, I reckon the real star of that match was Davie Wilson, Went to LB and  at one point played a ball to the LW. He then remembered that he ws LW, ran up the pitch and collected his own pass!

:sherlock:

15 hours ago, Corky True Legend said:

No subs either so not only a LW at LB but played most of the game with 10 men

16 hours ago, Fred H Crawford said:

Pity he hadn't been in the team 2 years earlier. I watched it in a neighbour's house; unfortunately, he was English. It was said that day that England used an orange ball so that Shearer and Caldow wouldn't kick it and Haffey wouldn't touch it.

On 29 November 2016 at 0:13 AM, Fred H Crawford said:

Got to love the man :lol:

Loved the swagger of the man.

He'd get fucking destroyed by our fans nowadays the amount of slack passes he made!!

Got my Dad the DVD of the game a few years back. The game has moved on so much, virtually non contact in todays game, its embarrassing. I remember thinking it much have been some achievement for a CB like Bobby Moore to have never been booked in his career, then I saw his tackle on Law in this game when he virtually broke him in two and got nothing!

The thing that strikes me watching a lot of games from that era is how poor the goalkeeping was a lot of the time, big flabby guys flapping at shots or standing watching the ball go by them. That classic Real Madrid v Eintracht game would have ended about 3-1 with modern quality goalies.