Manager being linked to England u21 job

Ferris Bueller

13 minutes ago, Vanoli said:

Strange choice considering he's developed literally one young player (McKay) in his time here. 

His whole background is working with youth players.

You could argue he's also developed Halliday, Holt, Kiernan, Tav  in his time here who were all 22/23 when they signed.

It's a common enough game isn't it?  In every form of business life not just football.

You have a vacancy.  The vacancy was created due to an earlier vacancy higher up the chain which did not work out.  Criticism for that failed appointment being that the employer (the FA in this case) did not cast its search net wide enough or efficiently enough to attract better candidates to compete against the one that was the eventual failed/flawed appointment.   So to replace Southgate and to avoid similar criticism from making a selection from too narrow a pool of choices even though they have a clear favourite, and in the absence of enough good quality applications, they let it slip to journos that they'd welcome Warburton applying.   It would give the appearance of increasing the breadth of choice and make the rubber stamping of their preferred favoured candidate all the more solid. A vain attempt at flattery.

If he was interested he would have applied by now.   Any sense of being courted into the interview phase is just about making up interview numbers.   Warburton is an analyst and experienced enough in the ways of City institutions to see red herrings being trailed in front of him via engineered press reports.

No doubt he'll be asked about this at the pre-match press conference.   And no doubt in my mind he'll express his surprise at where these stories come from and put a lid on the speculation box.   Maybe the usually tepid press conference might be livened up by our being treated to Christmas fun by some Traynor retributions against the journos if they persist with the questioning.........

6 hours ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Paper nonsense as usual. 

That said I think it would be a job that Warburton would love a chance at. 

Regarding Warburton I would say the opposite. At Rangers he has the chance to mould players to his system from their first contact with the club. Taking an international job he has no day to day involvement with the training of players he may wish to select.

32 minutes ago, Young Bob said:

Regarding Warburton I would say the opposite. At Rangers he has the chance to mould players to his system from their first contact with the club. Taking an international job he has no day to day involvement with the training of players he may wish to select.

We can agree to disagree, I think the chance to mould the best 18/21 year olds in England to step into the full national side would be right up his street, its also a way to being the next England manager.