Garner

Boybluesy

Just now, Jack The Flipper said:

Agreed, but again I don't like Wallace getting that far up the park, it should be McKay sending those balls in not him. It's why our defense is so fucked most of the time.

Definitely, just highlighting though how he will have been choking for a ball in like that. Tav fired a few across too, some great, some wayward, but its more of the idea.

The biggest difference for me is the goalkeeper being able to go long. When he plays we are less likely to get Kiernan or the other centre halfs to peel wide to take the ball short and then panic and put themselves in danger. Go long and Garner will fight for it, usually winning it. People don't gamble that he does though. I'd want to see Miller or McKay gamble and go past the defenders as the ball is being challenged for because Garner could easily set them on their way.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

Yup. He wasn't a consistent 20-25 goal a season striker before we signed him and he wont be either.

He's a target man who will rough up the defenders and maybe get a few headers but other than that he offers very little.

Workhorse...a near £2 million quid workhorse.

He was in League 1. That's about it.

1 minute ago, TheLoudenTavernier said:

He was in League 1. That's about it.

Yeah he had that one season hot streak, then after that it was over 40 games and 6 goals in the championship :megaanguish:

3 goals in nearly 20 appearances with us is horrible in this league regardless of the system.

Just now, The Godfather said:

Yeah he had that one season hot streak, then after that it was over 40 games and 6 goals in the championship :megaanguish:

3 goals in nearly 20 appearances with us is horrible in this league regardless of the system.

20+ goals in 2 seasons running in League 1 tbf. But aye, like many others, he toiled when he made the step up to the championship.

Just now, TheLoudenTavernier said:

20+ goals in 2 seasons running in League 1 tbf. But aye, like many others, he toiled when he made the step up to the championship.

Yeah it was 18 goals the season before that 25 one. He played 45 games and scored 24 goals all in (cups).

He doesn't strike (ahhaha) me as someone who is capable of scoring those amounts given what we have seen. I wonder if a English club would take him back for the same money? Surely a bottom end Championship team might think it's worth the punt? 

3 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

Yeah it was 18 goals the season before that 25 one. He played 45 games and scored 24 goals all in (cups).

He doesn't strike (ahhaha) me as someone who is capable of scoring those amounts given what we have seen. I wonder if a English club would take him back for the same money? Surely a bottom end Championship team might think it's worth the punt? 

19 goals but aye you're right I hadn't considered cup games.

Personally I think he could score plenty up here playing in the right system and getting enough service. I can see why others don't think so though. 

If we were looking to cash in I'd probably be looking more towards the top end of League 1 rather than the bottom of the Championship. His record in the Championship isn't going to encourage many clubs.

It'll be interesting to see how he does under a new manager if Warburton does go. I think we'll probably see a big difference in him as well as a few others in the squad.

2 minutes ago, TheLoudenTavernier said:

19 goals but aye you're right I hadn't considered cup games.

Personally I think he could score plenty up here playing in the right system and getting enough service. I can see why others don't think so though. 

If we were looking to cash in I'd probably be looking more towards the top end of League 1 rather than the bottom of the Championship. His record in the Championship isn't going to encourage many clubs.

It'll be interesting to see how he does under a new manager if Warburton does go. I think we'll probably see a big difference in him as well as a few others in the squad.

I think a low end championship side would maybe take a punt, at £1 - £2 million he's pretty much a low cost option given the funds down there. Preston rated him highly even in the Championship so maybe his stock isn't as bad as it is here just now.

I can see him being more effective in a 2 man strike force but again I don't see him scoring many goals. We don't have the cash to go and spend another few million on another goal scorer so I think we will need to sell him regardless to get an actual scorer in.

17 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

I think a low end championship side would maybe take a punt, at £1 - £2 million he's pretty much a low cost option given the funds down there. Preston rated him highly even in the Championship so maybe his stock isn't as bad as it is here just now.

I can see him being more effective in a 2 man strike force but again I don't see him scoring many goals. We don't have the cash to go and spend another few million on another goal scorer so I think we will need to sell him regardless to get an actual scorer in.

That's a fair point actually. I suppose the way he makes a nuisance of himself with defenders could possibly make life a bit easier for a strike partner so clubs might look at that rather than his own poor return in the Championship.

It's just guesswork trying to figure out how he would do with a partner for us. It's one of the reasons I'd have hoped for a change of manager sooner rather than later so that the new man can have a look and see what he can get out of Garner and the rest of the squad for the rest of this season so that if he does want to replace anyone we can look to get our business done early and be prepared for the new season. Especially with the European qualifiers coming so early.