Garner

Boybluesy

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Young Bob said:

Not justify anything. Just pointing out how they fared. 

So would McCoist and Hateley have performed better than Garner in Warburtons formations and tactics?

How can anyone tell you that ? its impossible to tell.

1 hour ago, Young Bob said:

Failed manager McCoist was brutal when he signed. Hateley was the same.

This guy has scored 100 goals in 300 games before coming to us.

Did he play in teams where passing in nice wee formations and keeping possesion were paramount for those 100 goals?

The majority of his goals have been in the third tier of English football.

At championship level his goals per game ratio is decidedly average.

5 minutes ago, Albertz 78 said:

The majority of his goals have been in the third tier of English football.

At championship level his goals per game ratio is decidedly average.

Yes. Another point. We sign guys from Accrington and Preston and expect them to play like they are international class.

Last season  I was told I knew nothing about the lower tiers of English football and it was full of gems.

Warburton, McParland and myself have something in common.

1 minute ago, Creampuff said:

I still think there's a player in there. 

A £2m player? I'm not so sure, but a better player than the one we're currently seeing.

He's been very unlucky not to score more imo.Even the best strikers need a wee rub of the green to get their name on the scoresheet. At least he gives 100% in every game which is more than can be said for some of the imposters that have played for our club in recent times. I still think he can come good and go on to become a fans favourite.

1 hour ago, Young Bob said:

Just like its impossible to tell if any player signed can play in the system unless they come from a team that plays the same way and they have been proven.

A good player can adjust to any system unfortunately for us Garner seems a one trick pony. Plus he's 29 this year so will be tougher to change his style of play.

1 minute ago, TopCat said:

He's been very unlucky not to score more imo.Even the best strikers need a wee rub of the green to get their name on the scoresheet. At least he gives 100% in every game which is more than can be said for some of the imposters that have played for our club in recent times. I still think he can come good and go on to become a fans favourite.

Aye, along with Halliday and Kiernan. 

5 minutes ago, Creampuff said:

A £2m player? I'm not so sure, but a better player than the one we're currently seeing.

I respect you opinion and I admire your optimisim, usually after 6 months theyve showed something other than willingness.

Hes decent in the air, rolls about the ground more than Halliday and second touch is a header. I just dont see it, as much as I want to.

All the e-Guardiolas suggesting that he needs a partner or doesn't suit the system talk shite.

He misses sitters. I can't remember the exact circumstances surrounding it, the highlights will show it when BBC Sport release them, but he had a fantastic opportunity this afternoon and he didn't even get a shot away, ending up on his hands and knees.

A different system or playing partner can't change that.

23 minutes ago, Creampuff said:

Maybe it's just a matter of a couple of goals over a few matches. Strikers go through phases like this, even the best of them, the problem is that we can't really go on much to gauge how good he actually is. It seems as if in every match he plays he has real goalscoring opportunities, and never far from scoring, and yet he doesn't score them. Hopefully he does and it was just a matter of confidence all along.

Today's misses were nothing to do with 'playing with someone else upfront' or not - just a guy short of fitness, confidence &, possibly, ability.

No excuses like lack of service - he missed 3 great chances when well placed, for some or all of the reasons above.

I think there's a player there and I think he's been abit unlucky. If you look at Mr 40 million from the east he came in and got a few goals in his first few games and now he's a world beater. Garner came in and we have struggled which puts more pressure on him. If he could get a wee spell of a goal in 2 or 3 games in a row we may see a different player