Current squad and next season

Amato

4 hours ago, Waggy1872 said:

Waghorn got slated earlier in the season as he looked heavy, I felt that he went away and worked hard to gain sharpness back and it showed coz in some of his substitute appearances he seemed to give the team a bit more energy, although warburton still didn't  reward him with a start after this.  His finishing has been poor this year but I think he deserves a chance through the middle, a run of games and he might give us something 

To give him his due I thought he put in a decent shift on Sunday. He seems to have bulked up too much - maybe if he spends more time with a football at his feet and less time in the gym he might be worth keeping hold of

Foderingham - keep but he needs someone snapping at his heels to stay sharp

Hill - gives me more confidence but should NOT play alongside Senderos again. Mind you Senderos should be shipped anyway.

Wilson- maybe. Kieran- maybe not

Tav- moments of greatness and moments of absolute shite. Undecided 

Wallace- not impressed me this season. But again maybe under new manager, he and McKay will rekindle something.

Mckay- definitely a talent but has looked a bit lost at times. Get your head up ffs

Forrester is a talent who has never had the chance to have a good run of starts and settle in. Same with Dodoo. Keep.

Garner. Just doesn't suit the formation we have play.ed. He is feisty though so there may be hope. 

Rossiter- have no doubt he will be a star one day. 

Miller.-legend and  life saver. Needs to finally take his place as an impact sub tho next season.

Crooks and Windass. Will hopefully both develop with good coaching. 

Waggy and O'Halloran- Meh 

We simply can't afford to replace the whole team so we need a manager who can get the best from the bunch we have. I actually think we have a few good players who just still  haven't clicked after all this time.

KEEP:

Foderingham, Alnwick, Hodson, Hill, Wilson, Wallace, Rossiter, Windass, Crooks, Mckay, Miller, Dodoo. 

SELL/FREE:

Tavernier, Kiernan, Senderos, Halliday, Holt, Forrester, Kranjcar, O'halloran, Waghorn, Garner.

Toral and Hyndman back to their clubs. 

Only kept Crooks/Rossiter and Dodoo coz I haven't seen enough to give a proper verdict 

Keep

Foderingham, Alnwick, Wallace, Hodson, Wilson, Hill, Rossiter, Windass, Forrester, McKay, Miller and Garner. Promote a few youth players like Thompson, Hardie, Burt etc. to flesh out he squad.

Don't rate a few of them but it's unrealistic to get rid of a whole new squad and successfully build a new one in one season so most of them would just be to bulk up the squad. I do think a new manager would get more out of Wilson, Windass and Forrester though.

6 hours ago, Swagger said:

To give him his due I thought he put in a decent shift on Sunday. He seems to have bulked up too much - maybe if he spends more time with a football at his feet and less time in the gym he might be worth keeping hold of

He did bulk up too much but I'm sure there was a few games where he came off the bench before Xmas and looked a bit sharper, can't remember what games it was but did well yet punted back to the bench after it 

According to the Chairman - indeed he makes it clear under a 'for avoidance of doubt' preface in his 2nd statement - in season 3 (ie next season) the plan is to compete for the title and progress in Europe.  He claims the Board has a duty to take steps to get back on track this season and as far as I can see there is no alteration to the objective for next season even though more players were signed by Warburton last summer than were planned.

So looking at the squad a key question could be - has the core of a squad been assembled that with some further additions this coming summer could be reasonably considered to be capable of moving up further gears to challenge for the title?   Well unless an interim manager can make a fairly radical transformation I do not see a credible / competent CB partnership or defence that would ship significantly less goals and provide a secure defensive unit.   I don't see anywhere near enough evidence of a midfield set up that is good enough in creating goal scoring chances and in shielding the defence.   I don't see a strike force capable of scoring enough goals to generate a credible title challenge.  

IMO Warburton has not created even the basic core of a side that could be reasonably regarded as good enough to make that extra competitive challenge next season.  

I accept - albeit its a stretch of optimism for me - that a much better manager might get such a lot more out of the squad and transform it into something a whole lot more secure defensively and potent in goal scoring terms.   And it would be just superb if he could.   However it might yet take a bit of a clear out and fundamental rebuild in which case King's objective for next season might then be hard to achieve if there was only a relatively modest amount of money available to acquire better players.    

Add to this the risk of losing some players who we might want to keep.  McKay for instance if a satisfactory offer to buy comes in,   Miller might move to another club if no contract is offered or if the deal is not good enough.  

Keep - 

Foderigham, Alnwick, Wallace, McKay. Maybe Windass and Rossiter but probably not. (Miller to move on as a coach btw)

Sell - 

Tavernier, Lahm, Kiernan, Wilson, Hill, Halliday, Crooks, Holt, Waghorn, Garner, Dodoo, Forrester, MOH, Kranjcar, Senderos.

2 minutes ago, In Dungeons Deep said:

Keep - 

Foderigham, Alnwick, Wallace, McKay. Maybe Windass and Rossiter but probably not. (Miller to move on as a coach btw)

Sell - 

Tavernier, Lahm, Kiernan, Wilson, Hill, Halliday, Crooks, Holt, Waghorn, Garner, Dodoo, Forrester, MOH, Kranjcar, Senderos.

So we keep 4 players (maybe 6) 

Sell 15..

How are we bringing in 15 better players in the summer? Unless the new manager is from the Abu Dhabi and comes in on the back of a camel, we've got absolutely no chance

Some of them have to stay, with better coaching players like Dodoo, Wilson, Garner etc can do a job

The reality and maybe depressing thing is the majority will be here next season bar the out of contract players like Senderos.

Who would buy any of them? We have had a brutal season with only really McKay and Fod being players that's value have increased to a level where a sale would bring in spendable funds of note.

2 minutes ago, Lance1697 said:

So we keep 4 players (maybe 6) 

Sell 15..

How are we bringing in 15 better players in the summer? Unless the new manager is from the Abu Dhabi and comes in on the back of a camel, we've got absolutely no chance

Some of them have to stay, with better coaching players like Dodoo, Wilson, Garner etc can do a job

Our squad is awful and we should sell at least 15 of them tbh.

There isn't a single player in our team with actual talent other than McKay.

Just now, In Dungeons Deep said:

Yeah but the point being we couldn't field a side if we sold 15 of them plus who in their right mind would buy them? Most are on contracts with years to run so we are stuck with them.

1 minute ago, In Dungeons Deep said:

I agree with the sentiment but in the real world that just simply can't happen.

Over time we get rid of the shit in our team, this summer is about getting rid of the 4/5 worst players on the highest wages and using the little money we have to replace them with better quality

Senderos (High wages, out of contract)

O'hallaron (Will get something for him, not much but still something)

Kranjcar (Again high wages, look to get him out the door whether it's a mutual termination or something related to injuries)

Kiernan (Sell to some league 1 team in England, won't get the reported 2 million for him but we'll get something)

Waghorn/Garner (Take your pick who you want to sell and who you keep, need to keep 1 as we need strength in depth but both shouldn't be there, Kenny will be our impact striker off the bench, Dodoo is still young and we need a clinical striker, which both of these 2 are not)

Keeps.. foderingham,Wilson,McKay,Wallace.

mibbees 

windass,rossiter,holt,Tavernier,waghorn,garner,dodoo,

bin the rest

miller should retire before he becomes known for going that one season too long. The maybe list is for players who I think show form in fits and starts but it needs a more demanding manager to bring the best out of them.  I could probably add forester to it based on some of his games where he is really effective.